Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    You seem to put far too much effort in to be a troll.

Are you mentally deficient? It's okay.
    lol! No, he's just an intellectual, Conc
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    It's apparently just one part of a multi-phased operation, hmm military ground intervention to be implemented at some point? We'll have to see

They're (The 'coalition') using military force anyway so yeah, not too sound excited by war or anything but it would be cool if some protoype Rail-guns were used on Libyan Targets... totally wreck stuff
    I was sort of thinking that too. Mostly because me and a few other people in my university physics class were thinking about making a rail gun, so we did a bit of research into it.

The thing with rail guns is that they could pretty much obliterate a small town - I think that would be too devastating when at the moment all the coalition is doing is enforcing a no fly zone (supposedly, sounds like they're overthrowing Gaddafi rather than stopping planes flying. Not that I actually have any issue with getting rid of him asap)

Good.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    112 tomohawk missiles.

Gaddafi you've been tomahawked

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by domino0806)
    Good.
    Care to elaborate a little on that? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Pentagon says 20 sites were targeted by the initial missile attack. About two and a half tonnes of warhead per target.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    On a side note, the tomahawk missile seems like a very powerful peice or kit. At 1300kg per missile i doubt anything can survive a hit by one of these!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_(missile)
    I doubt anything could >> http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6817484693599#

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Cameron really needs to rethink the Strategic Defence and Security Review on the back of this.
    Indeed. A carrier is much needed here.

ReputationRep:
    WRONG

http://handfulofhealth.com/wp-conten...g2-500x400.jpg

http://[IMG]http://handfulofhealth.c....jpg[/IMG]

I think you'll find that anything hit by a Tomahawk cruise missile will be instantly destroyed and incinerated - trufax :rolleyes: especially the missiles with Tiger blood running in their systems

ReputationRep:
    On a side note, the tomahawk missile seems like a very powerful peice or kit. At 1300kg per missile i doubt anything can survive a hit by one of these!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomahawk_(missile)
    Very powerful pieces of kit indeed, the video is a few years old but it demonstrates their power well enough.

ReputationRep:
    those tomahawk missiles cost £250,000 each so it isnt gonna be a cheap conflict

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guy Secretan)
    those tomahawk missiles cost £250,000 each so it isnt gonna be a cheap conflict
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, according to the BBC, a French plane has been shot down, though no sources confirming this (except Libyan TV).

I think we are right to do this, especially since Gaddafi was the cause of the Lockerbie bombing. I'm just not sure whether this conflict will be resolved by this violence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Right Guard 3.D)
    Apparently, according to the BBC, a French plane has been shot down, though no sources confirming this (except Libyan TV).
    French military denies they've got a downed aircraft.

But yes, cruise missiles come at a pretty penny. Having said that, they're monumentally powerful and provide us with an astonishing amount of ranged firepower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lukejoshjedi)
    Lol overkill much, over 100 missiles... I do believe that though. American response
    Before you can have aircraft patrolling a no-fly-zone you need to take out the SAM sites otherwise you would quickly have no planes with which to enforce the no-fly-zone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Right Guard 3.D)

I think we are right to do this, especially since Gaddafi was the cause of the Lockerbie bombing. I'm just not sure whether this conflict will be resolved by this violence.
    French are saying it's not true.

Don't believe what libyan state tv says. They said there was a ceasefire whilst at the same time libyan forces entered benghazi.

ReputationRep:
    Oh great Gaddafi has threatened Mediterranean security. Look forward to unbridled illegal immigration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lack of Creativity)
    French military denies they've got a downed aircraft.

But yes, cruise missiles come at a pretty penny. Having said that, they're monumentally powerful and provide us with an astonishing amount of ranged firepower.

French are saying it's not true.

Don't believe what libyan state tv says. They said there was a ceasefire whilst at the same time libyan forces entered benghazi.
    I only stated what was in the red banner on the BBC news page :P
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Meagz)
    Oh great Gaddafi has threatened Mediterranean security. Look forward to unbridled illegal immigration.
    Seriously for a minute. He does have large stocks of chemical weapons....

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who finds it downright pathetic that the government are spending money on BOMBING Libya and potentially creating yet another war, as if we NEED more countries to hate us, rather than using it WISELY and aiding the people in Japan?
    I understand the seriousness of the violence in Libya is catastrophic but this is just going to cause more havoc surely? Why is violence always the answer?
    Call me a naive 16 year old if you wish but I honestly think our countries money needs to be spent on things that'll actually HELP rather than this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.