Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My parents live in different countries and have been doing so for almost a decade, but they're still married. I live with my mum, and on its own, her income isn't a lot which entitles me to quite a decent grant, but on the application form, because I have to put down 'married', it asks for her partner's income, which is quite decent (though my dad doesn't support us), and their incomes combined mean my grant is almost non-existant.

What do I do? It isn't a fair representation of my situation. My parents don't live in the same country, let alone together, haven't done so for years, and my dad would not support me financially at all, ever.

Is there a way to get around this? It's very confusing on the application because I have to put down 'married' for her, at which point, the application assumes that she must be living with her partner, when she's not....

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    Lie.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't there a 'separated' option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chai wallah)
    Isn't there a 'separated' option?
    I did notice that but wasn't sure that applied to me either. Because wouldn't I have to provide evidence of this? And what would the evidence be? All I have is that they've lived in separate countries for almost a decade.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are seperated and not divorced, and Student finance just asked us to go to a solicitor and get some thing signed to declare they weren't living together.
    I'd try that! It was really easy to get as well, they didn't question my parents at all, and only one needed to be involved in signing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalilou)
    I did notice that but wasn't sure that applied to me either. Because wouldn't I have to provide evidence of this? And what would the evidence be? All I have is that they've lived in separate countries for almost a decade.
    I would assume that they would come under "separated" for the purely financial aspect of this form - the finances are separate and supporting two separate households, one of which you have no connection to.

Phone student finance to be sure and they'll advise you on how to get the most from the application, including exactly what evidence you may be asked to supply.

Your situation really isn't that unusual in terms of what the application is asking, so there's going to be some simple way of dealing with it so I wouldn't worry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalilou)
    Surely that would count as evidence though? Because you can prove that they're living apart and have been doing so for a long time.

ReputationRep:
    You WILL NEED a solicitor's letter.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.