Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Do you not still like me?

Many Chinese people have also called for our help - why do we not help them?

There is a degree of corruption and self-interest here and you know it!
    Not as much as you seem to think. If there was a full blown rebellion in China and it looked likely that they would take control of the country it is likely we would help. However that has never happened nor will it for another 60 years.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    You are the dolt.
    They do.
    Just its not as documented as what is currently happening in the Middle East...
    I've been following events in Yemen Bahrain Syria ect. None of them have come close to defeating the government.

Would you rather we sat by and watched the Libyan people be massacred by the government? When with a few weapons (from Egypt) and a no fly zone(from the UN) could turn the tide completely.

ReputationRep:
    You really believe that the majority want him "out"?? British news is highly inaccurate.

You must also realize that Libya has one of the best healthcare systems in African and many other modernizations in the continent - though Gaddafi may be "bad", the country has actually benefited from him - more than can be said of Zimbabwe from Mugabe for example.

I believe that as Britain has gone and done this, we should not constantly "save" the world and "help" those in need and further overstretch our armed forces.

By chance, (I forget) - did the Iraqi people call for our help too? (If they did - my, how they must be kicking themselves now...)
    So... you're saying you don't mind Moammar in power, really? surely you want him out too even if you oppose international intervention in Libya....

We're not saving the world tbh, bit of an exaggeration - just ridding it of one of its' dictators, which ultimately is a good thing for more people than not

ReputationRep:
    I don't generally agree with Cameron (possible understatement) but I quite like his three criteria for military intervention:

1. That the Libyan people were at risk from reprisals from Gaddafi

2. That there was regional support

3. That there was a UN SC Resolution

Basically, although the government and other UN members have acted unusually quickly, they have not circumvented usual diplomatic process. They have not jumped ahead of themselves.
    We don't know what will happen now, but surely doing something is better than doing nothing?

It's impossible to intervene everywhere, and 'the West' will be unwilling to intervene anywhere where there is not widespread diplomatic support for their actions as well as necessity. But this is nevertheless an important step.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I've been following events in Yemen Bahrain Syria ect. None of them have come close to defeating the government.

Would you rather we sat by and watched the Libyan people be massacred by the government? When with a few weapons (from Egypt) and a no fly zone(from the UN) could turn the tide completely.
    To what?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    To what?
    To ousting Gadaffi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

You pass over the fact that many of these "rebels" are Islamic extremists screaming "Allahu Akbar"....

ReputationRep:
    Do you not still like me?

Many Chinese people have also called for our help - why do we not help them?

There is a degree of corruption and self-interest here and you know it!
    I suppose you can argue that it may be a just course of action to impose similar things in china. I am not arguing that the chinese goverment hasn't had it's fair share of immorality. The issue with china though is that imposing such military occupations etc. is impractical when dealing with a country that represents a sixth of all humans.

Libya on the otherhand is a situation we should be able to deal with succesfully. Whatever military action is used should be able to solve the issues of a goverment killing it's own people. That said I am more than sure this military action will run into issues.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You pass over the fact that many of these "rebels" are Islamic extremists screaming "Allahu Akbar"....
    Not really. Only in Yemen. Most others like in Bahrain are secular. As in they don't want islamist theocracies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    To ousting Gadaffi
    You really think that it will be as smooth and as easy as that?

For all you know, events could quickly blow up and spiral out of control - for all you know, we could suddenly and surprisingly see the onset of a Third World War come into play through totally unconnected causes!

I may seem OTT - but I am trying to say that the consequences are quite unpredictable at the moment, that is all....
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You really think that it will be as smooth and as easy as that?

For all you know, events could quickly blow up and spiral out of control - for all you know, we could suddenly and surprisingly see the onset of a Third World War come into play through totally unconnected causes!

I may seem OTT - but I am trying to say that the consequences are quite unpredictable at the moment, that is all....
    Within reason. If all goes to plan. If we are really lucky Gadaffi will give away his position tonight and get tomahawked.

ReputationRep:
    You're so grossly wrong. Do you want to see more innocent Libyan lives lost?
    I suppose that wouldn't bother you in the slightest but it does bother those that are moral, Mr. Cameron included.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I liked you. I liked your threads. I liked your polls.

But you are a dolt.

Why have we not invaded Zimbabwe or a host of other countries?

Write this down.

BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO REBELLION TO SUPPORT. THEY DO NOT WANT US

Libya has been begging for our support. No other countries are nor do they have the means to oust their governments mostly on their own.

We have a chance to help the Libyan people liberate themselves.
    And we also have a chance to exploit their natural resource, such as oil and gas, right?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mauvetard)
    And we also have a chance to exploit their natural resource, such as oil and gas, right?
    No. No troops are on the ground.

Libyan oil production is nothing in the grand scheme of things. If we were going to invade anywhere for its resources Iran and Saudi arabia would be best.

ReputationRep:
    The amount of people screaming oil astounds me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

Libyan oil production is nothing in the grand scheme of things. If we were going to invade anywhere for its resources Iran and Saudi arabia would be best.
    Actually, some sources have said there are special forces in libya, coordinating the air strike, but it is not comfirmed.

Also a small amount of special forces is hardly the same as 'troops on the ground' in the sense of a ground war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

Yeah cus' it would be that easy :rolleyes:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yeah cus' it would be that easy :rolleyes:
    Hey I said in a best situation.

Far more likely is this going on for the next few months

ReputationRep:
    Oh shut up and go chain yourself to a tree you hippy.

It's not a full scale invasion, it's a no fly zone. We are stopping Gadaffi's planes from attacking his own people and we are stopping Gadaffi's ground forces from attacking his own people. All our planes are doing is bombing a few military places, like oil reserves and weaponries in order to halt Gadaffi's men. It's not like we're sending ground troops into combat. Now shut the hell up with all your claptrap about our evil government. Cameron has been brilliant in this crisis, decisive from the very beginning whilst Obama has been dancing around the issue for weeks. if we had it your way we would have murderous dictators all over the world getting away with genocide whilst people like you fret over the conservation of blackbirds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by win2kpro)
    So it's wrong to intervene when we do intervene, just because we don't intervene with others?

The majority of other tyrants don't really have the majority of their population protesting against them and aren't getting bombed by their own government. + Aren't asking for our support, which the Libyans are?
    Precisely, so do you not think that even a moments scepticism should be applied to reports on what Gaddafi is doing? Sensing that they are the weaker side, it is quite reasonable to assume that they could manipulate accounts of what is actually happening.

Before you begin to paint me as some sort of pro-gaddafi apologist in order to automatically invalidate anything I say, I am not actually against intervention, I just think everyone seems to have jumped on the bandwagon.

I dont know about bombed, but people are certainly being shot dead in Yemen on an alarming scale. Such news reports are breaking through even with the Tsunami and Libya taking most of the spotlight.

Your quip about intervening doesnt actually answer the question that OP and I raised about the countries not receiving the same help. It is merely a lazy way to bat away a valid query. I personally am not stating that intervention here is wrong BECAUSE they havent intervened elsewhere, rather I am asking why they havent intervened elsewhere.

How exactly do we know that they havent yet asked for our support? Libyan discontent was allowed to get to the stage whereby a solid opposition was able to form which could communicate with the west. This hasnt been allowed to happen in other countries.

Now before your reply, consider that I am not against intervention, although I am worried that it will inspire a new campaign of state terrorism should Gaddafi survive this.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.