Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to protest against you protesting.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure Cameron is quaking in his boots OP.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S129439)
    yep. lets protest against a completely necessary and tactically difficult move. good plan OP (Y)
    wat?

You can't be serious.

I don't want to be paying ****ing taxes if they're blowing it on this ****.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. If the government doesn't take action, I too will go and stand in front of a building and not actually do a ****ing thing. Good plan, OP, you're set to make a difference in the world!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    This.

Even on the BBC radio 5live, it was noted that this intervention is viewed with suspicion by the Arab people in particular the Libyans.

Out of the hundreds of countries in this world, it is always the same countries that are always "liberating". Noam Chomsky highlighted that. Digital Spy users also wondered the same.

Additionally, while the main political parties of France and the UK supported such action of intervention.

The French people and British people are of the same opinion of the German People, they don't support it.
    Who said European solidarity is long gone?
    Maybe because these countries are the most powerful and influential in the world.

Seems to be that most people support it. Judging by every paper they all support it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by darknessbehold)
    1 month.

It shouldn't be hard to remove a dictator when his whole country is against him so I expect swift action by the UN.
    If the government doesn't remove Gaddafi, restore order to Libya and get the troops back home by that time - I will be protesting at Westminster.

Whos with me?
    Good luck protesting seeing as there are no troops in Libya

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Before, the situation was supposedly Gadaffi supporters against the "rebels". Now, however, the situation has changed... drastically.

The Western "Liberators" (i.e. Britain, France, USA etc) have flown in (literally) to "save the Libyan people" (oh, how I have lost faith in these immoral world Leaders - it almost makes me wish how our Prime Minister was an actual real and sensible Conservative Christian/Jew - and I am not even religious or Christian!) and now we have a different world.

That is, beforehand, the Gadaffi regime were the evil enemies and agressors and the "Libyan people" (those who the West are supposedly going to "save") were the poor victims. (Moving away from the media propaganda, if you have not realized - a lot of the "rebels" are actually Islamic fundamentalists - there were even a few pictured waving RPGs and screaming "Allahu Akbar"!! - they seem to have taken over from the actual protesters now!)

Now, however, the Western "Liberators" are now the aggressors and the country of Libya as a whole, the victims!! (Beware, that Gadaffi did warn Libya that the "West" would come and invade Libya...)

It is my opinion that other countries should not have invaded (that is what they are doing!) Libya - largely because their motives are obviously not sweet, innocent and moral - the picture of Cameron looking all professional makes me cringe and froth at the mouth - he is very, very immoral (at least, Gordon Brown looked like a "good" man (even if he was not!)). The motives are not good, so they should not have invaded!

Secondly, what becomes of Libya after they have been "liberated"?? (That is, if Libya does not unite to fight against their new enemy - the Western Aggressors!!) Will the West "help" them set up a "democratic government"?

This situation is ridiculous - how many British Prime Ministers will plunge Britain into more wars??? I only applaud Churchill, however Gadaffi is no Hitler and he certainly is not threatening to take over the world!!

Sorry for my rant, but Cameron gets on my nerves strutting about like he is a moral and "good" man and he knows best. Check out what he said:

" What we are doing is necessary, it is legal and it is right. "

Right?? In whose eyes??

"Tonight British forces are in action over Libya.
    They are part of an international coalition that has come together to enforce the will of the United Nations and protect the Libyan people....
    "

Protect?? Oh Lord, save us. :rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ibya-Live.html

So, why have we not invaded Zimbabwe?? Somalia?? North Korea?? China??? Pakistan?? Turkmenistan?? Saudi Arabia??

I think all that is left to say is:

Will we "save" Yemen next?

Oh, the hypocrisy and immorality...

Why are the British people not protesting en masse about this?? (Maybe because they have been controlled by the press and think that we really are doing the right thing against this so "evil dictator" Gaddafi.....?)

This will not end well...
    You're a pussy!

ReputationRep:
    That is, beforehand, the Gadaffi regime were the evil enemies and agressors and the "Libyan people" (those who the West are supposedly going to "save") were the poor victims. (Moving away from the media propaganda, if you have not realized - a lot of the "rebels" are actually Islamic fundamentalists - there were even a few pictured waving RPGs and screaming "Allahu Akbar"!! - they seem to have taken over from the actual protesters now!)
    A minor point but yelling "Allahu Akbar" does not make you a religious fundamentalist. It makes you a Muslim. There's a key difference.

This situation is ridiculous - how many British Prime Ministers will plunge Britain into more wars??? I only applaud Churchill, however Gadaffi is no Hitler and he certainly is not threatening to take over the world!!
    Churchill did not plunge Britain into war, he fought a war which Chamberlain instigated against Nazi Germany. A war we could easily have avoided, Germany had little intention of 'world conquest'.

EDIT: At the very least, world conquest wasn't their intention during the invasion of Poland.

Sorry for my rant, but Cameron gets on my nerves strutting about like he is a moral and "good" man and he knows best. Check out what he said:

" What we are doing is necessary, it is legal and it is right. "

Right?? In whose eyes??

"Tonight British forces are in action over Libya.
    They are part of an international coalition that has come together to enforce the will of the United Nations and protect the Libyan people....
    "

Protect?? Oh Lord, save us. :rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ibya-Live.html

So, why have we not invaded Zimbabwe?? Somalia?? North Korea?? China??? Pakistan?? Turkmenistan?? Saudi Arabia??

I think all that is left to say is:

Will we "save" Yemen next?
    I see, because we can't help everyone we must help no one :holmes: (do I abuse that particular emote?)

ReputationRep:
    You really believe that the majority want him "out"?? British news is highly inaccurate.
    Care to enlighten us as to what your more reliable sources are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Good luck protesting seeing as there are no troops in Libya
    No but there are troops on the boats and they might be getting homesick. Maybe even seasick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    No but there are troops on the boats and they might be getting homesick. Maybe even seasick!

ReputationRep:
    You really believe that the majority want him "out"?? British news is highly inaccurate.

You must also realize that Libya has one of the best healthcare systems in African and many other modernizations in the continent - though Gaddafi may be "bad", the country has actually benefited from him - more than can be said of Zimbabwe from Mugabe for example.

I believe that as Britain has gone and done this, we should not constantly "save" the world and "help" those in need and further overstretch our armed forces.

By chance, (I forget) - did the Iraqi people call for our help too? (If they did - my, how they must be kicking themselves now...)
    sometimes i think that people just ignore what they must know to be true and do a doublethink.

we do not save people, we selfishly exploit them for our own agenda.

well the state does.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read the whole thread but I just had to say... How does the fact that the rebels are shouting 'Allah(u)Akbar)' make them Islamic Fundamentalists? It's a call to God for help (which they clearly need atm) and if it gives them the strength to fight oppression, then more power to them. Americans are constantly going on about 'God Bless America' - why don't we label them Christian Fundamentalists? Just as the Americans are drawing on their nation's Christian roots, the rebels are drawing on their personal beliefs as a source of strength.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jetsetgirl)
    I haven't read the whole thread but I just had to say... How does the fact that the rebels are shouting 'Allah(u)Akbar)' make them Islamic Fundamentalists? It's a call to God for help (which they clearly need atm) and if it gives them the strength to fight oppression, then more power to them. Americans are constantly going on about 'God Bless America' - why don't we label them Christian Fundamentalists? Just as the Americans are drawing on their nation's Christian roots, the rebels are drawing on their personal beliefs as a source of strength.
    Allah akbar is what a lot of Islamic fundamentalists say a great example is seing the muslim defense league saying it when they are near the edl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackthevillain)
    Allah akbar is what a lot of Islamic fundamentalists say a great example is seing the muslim defense league saying it when they are near the edl.
    That's hardly solid reasoning. Allah(u)Akbar is said at the beginning and end of all prayers in every mosque, including ones in Western countries. It doesn't mean anything extreme or threatening, just 'All praise to God'. All religions have some variation of this. It's used in an everyday discourse by moderate and even liberal 'westernised' Muslims.

If the rebels believe Gaddafi's hegemony over Libya is unjust and thus unholy, then - given that we live in a democracy - we're hardly going to argue, are we?

ReputationRep:
    That's hardly solid reasoning. Allah(u)Akbar is said at the beginning and end of all prayers in every mosque, including ones in Western countries. It doesn't mean anything extreme or threatening, just 'All praise to God'. All religions have some variation of this. It's used in an everyday discourse by moderate and even liberal 'westernised' Muslims.

If the rebels believe Gaddafi's hegemony over Libya is unjust and thus unholy, then - given that we live in a democracy - we're hardly going to argue, are we?
    Im talking about English muslims and with you being Australian or living in Australia you cant really say a huge deal about this.

ReputationRep:
    The facts are that even after cuts our millitary is still one of the biggest in the world and most advanced...i'd go as far to say that we would give the US a run for their mone yand we could destroy the North Koreans and Chinese. Our weapons are state of the art and better than most weapons in the world. So if Gidaffi wants a fight then give him one.

ReputationRep:
    Could it possibly be? Someone who hasn't been brainwashed into drawing direct associations between Islam and terrorism? Well bugger me.

(Original post by Jackthevillain)
    Im talking about English muslims and with you being Australian or living in Australia you cant really say a huge deal about this.
    ... lol. You are absolutely clueless, aren't you? How are you talking about English Muslims when you were responding to a post about Libyan Muslims? How does the phrase "praise God" have different implications in England than anywhere else? I've never seen such a desperate attempt to clutch at straws as "you're from Australia, therefore you don't know what you're talking about." :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by win2kpro)
    We should just leave the tyrant destroy Libya and bomb the libyans right?
    YES.

I don't give a damn about Libyans.

I don't see why we should act as the moral compass of the world, Gaddafi has stated several times that those that are not directly opposing him will not be harmed.

ReputationRep:
    It aggrivates me how often Britain gets involved in foreign affairs. Why do they have to present themselves as this big macho super power. Over the the past decades our international reputation has declined and I feel it silly to get involved with Libya. The population of Libya is approximately 6.5m, assuming a third of those are Gaddafi supporters, Britain has made around 2.2m more enemies by invading. I know these are only approximations, but to me it appears that the world has had enough of us meddling with people's domestic issues - maybe we should focus on our domestic issues, to me they seem pretty cocked up

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.