Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Basically, it's time for me to choose my GCSE options. I'd like to be a doctor once I've done school and university etc, but there is very strong competition for places on my school's Triple Science GCSE course and I'm very worried that my current level might not just be enough to secure a place. If I didn't have a Triple Science GCSE, would that seriously hinder my chances of a career in medicine?

What's the alternative, double science or a btec? I was there once too, I did triple with around 40 other students whilst the rest of the year undertook BTEC science. None of them were able to go on to take a science at A level. Even the double sciencers, they have less knowledge than those who took triple. To put it short, it's two years of study (unless you're doing it early or whatever), and taking triple science will be the best use of your time. If you're worried about not getting a place, put up a fight for it. Tell them you'll study hard and then show them. Because you have to do science anyway, might as well do the better course if you want to go into science later on.

But in answer to your last question, it wouldn't seriously hinder your chances. Many people have taken GCSE's later on in life (as well as a levels), and that could be an option though obviously quite bothersome.
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.