• View Poll Results: Do you agree with the no-fly zone
    Yes
    68.68%
    No
    30.84%
    Unsure
    0.48%

ReputationRep:
    Do you agree with the Uk/French lead UN no fly zone resolution 1973?

Please provide opinions if you feel like it.

This is a public poll.

EDIT: Well nearly 500 people have voted so far, and there are lots of opinions, but i think it is safe to assume most people agree the uk/UN did the right thing. I personally feel we did the right thing, however it's only the second day of the resolution so lets hope i'm not eating my words in the near or late future!

ReputationRep:
    Link to live update on what is happening in libya: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12776418

Yes I agree, this should of been done sooner and I am proud that France spearheaded this with British co-operation

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely disagree.

This is a colonial war just like Iraq and Afghanistan.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with it.

If anything, (and this is purely my own opinion) - I think there should be more military action taken.

That is just my own opinion, though. Not to start another raging argument.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yet another policy area in which I agree with David Cameron. Like the way he led on this.

ReputationRep:
    This is a debacle.

Do not come running to me when this turns ugly. :pierre:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by garethDT)
    Absolutely disagree.

With Muslim support.....

They are calling it a crusade. Must be the first crusade to have Muslims involved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    With Muslim support.....

They are calling it a crusade. Must be the first crusade to have Muslims involved
    What on earth has religion got to do with it?

ReputationRep:
    He meant Arab. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's not a not strictly just a no-fly zone like Bosnia was, but the resolution also allowed for ground attacks when necessary (which wasn't allowed in Bosnia for most of the duration of the conflict).

EDIT: Why did someone neg me for this? Go read the resolution. The no-fly zone is just a sub-section in it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Middle Eastern countries then

ReputationRep:
    They kill their own people and soldiers that refuse to shoot at protesters so i guess i agree with it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

A war for what, they will get rid of Gaddafi and replace him with another puppet that will oppress the opposition, just like Iraq and Afghanistan. Such nations have many "tribes", they will always have friction among them, regardless of who is in power.

ReputationRep:
    The UN should **** off instead of pretending to give a **** about civilians dying, its so painstakingly obvious they just want to ensure their oil resources are all dandy. Let the Arabs sort it out amongst themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely disagree.

why people thumb this down i do not know, do people like war, do they like sending british kids off to murder people.

this poll would be reversed if the media attention was all on bahrain or the congo.

ReputationRep:
    Note people, that the West would have had easy access to the oil if they simply supported Gaddafi. Remember when many foreign oil workers pulled out of Libya?

Also, the oil Libya provides is not at all significant. It could easily be replaced by either getting oil from the Saudis or relying on more Russian oil and gas.

Top Ten Oil Exporting Countries

* Saudi Arabia (8.73 million barrels per day)
    * Russia (6.67)
    * Norway (2.91)
    * Iran (2.55)
    * Venezuela (2.36)
    * United Arab Emirates (2.33)
    * Kuwait (2.20)
    * Nigeria (2.19)
    * Mexico (1.80)
    * Algeria (1.68)

As you can see, the West would have profited more Oil-wise if it made an excuse to invade Algeria.

So knowing that the "We did it for the oil" is bull****, and the West has no interest to colonise Libya: Yes, I fully support this military action.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cybergrad)
    A war for what, they will get rid of Gaddafi and replace him with another puppet that will oppress the opposition, just like Iraq and Afghanistan. Such nations have many "tribes", they will always have friction among them, regardless of who is in power.
    I think it's kinda different though in the fact that the UN seem much more involved...rather than Iraq and Afghanistan being taken care of Illegally by UK and USA?

Hopefully won't be replaced by a puppet...but with democracy which is what Libya people seem to be fighting for.

ReputationRep:
    Iraq 2

/thread

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.