• View Poll Results: Do you agree with the no-fly zone
    Yes
    68.68%
    No
    30.84%
    Unsure
    0.48%

ReputationRep:
    If its going at the rate its going and the way it will be projected to the libyan masses, pretty soon we wont be able to distinguish if Misurata was in Iraq and if Basra was in Libya

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    Well I was surprised when I heard about air strikes as I thought the resolution was about a no fly zone. :confused:
    So far as Russia and the Arab League were concerned it was supposed to be about a no fly zone. Hence they supported it initially. Now the US, UK, and France have gone in guns blazing, they're forced to take a step back and ponder whether they may have been rather misled on the whole affair. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being an awful quagmire with the Arab League eventually pulling out all support for it.

ReputationRep:
    ' 16.22 Al Jazeera is reporting claims that British SAS and other special forces have been in Libya for weeks. ' - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ibya-Live.html

Why are we intervening into Libya? The no fly zone is too aggressive and air strikes is just not acceptable!

I personally think its for the oil, cause why haven't we invaded Zimbabwe/China/Somalia/etc for their atrocities against its people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    So far as Russia and the Arab League were concerned it was supposed to be about a no fly zone. Hence they supported it initially. Now the US, UK, and France have gone in guns blazing, they're forced to take a step back and ponder whether they may have been rather misled on the whole affair. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being an awful quagmire with the Arab League eventually pulling out all support for it.
    I wouldn't take the Arab league so seriously, I reckon Moussa is saying this for Egyptian political reasons. Qatari fighter jets have just entered Libyan airspace - that's really good news.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by fire2burn)
    What did they expect? Who was advising the Arab League? Surely anyone in the military would have said we have to make sure his air defense systems are crippled?

ReputationRep:
    Hate to say I told you so....

Anyone who seriously thought a no fly zone would be the only act of the coalition is extremely naive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ijaz)
    Al jazeera are still not reliable.
    Why? Instead of being mindlessly sceptical, tell me why CNN + BBC + Al Jazeera cannot be trusted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrGuillotine)
    The bloodshed will continue until Gaddafi is removed from power. At the moment, that is neither the mandate for the intervention, nor the desire. Are you prepared for a possible long-drawn out war? You better be, because the only thing worse than not attacking in the first place is leaving a job half-done.
    Gadaffi's army is 8,000 strong. That is pathetic and easily crushed with UN peacekeepers and the rebels.
    Now with a no fly zone the rebels have a much better chance of winning. How will it be a long-drawn out war? The scales are tipped very much for the rebels favour now.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Keckers)
    Hate to say I told you so....

Anyone who seriously thought a no fly zone would be the only act of the coalition is extremely naive.
    : Amr Moussa's comments continue to prompt reactions from US officials. A senior official travelling with President Obama in Brazil, tells Reuters: "The resolution endorsed by Arabs and the UNSC (United\rNations Security Council) included 'all necessary measures' to protect civilians, which we made very clear includes, but goes beyond, a no-fly zone."

Also ignorant and stupid. It was made pretty clear from the resolution that all measures bar troops on the ground would be taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    What did they expect? Who was advising the Arab League? Surely anyone in the military would have said we have to make sure his air defense systems are crippled?
    Well I didn't hear you mention it yesterday?

Admit it, you didn't know they were going to start blowing up things.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing will change. In another 40 years history will repeat again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    : Amr Moussa's comments continue to prompt reactions from US officials. A senior official travelling with President Obama in Brazil, tells Reuters: "The resolution endorsed by Arabs and the UNSC (United\rNations Security Council) included 'all necessary measures' to protect civilians, which we made very clear includes, but goes beyond, a no-fly zone."

Also ignorant and stupid. It was made pretty clear from the resolution that all measures bar troops on the ground would be taken.
    Well apparently the Arabs aren't all that keen on that addition to the resolution by the US judging by the most recent statements.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well I didn't hear you mention it yesterday?

Admit it, you didn't know they were going to start blowing up things.
    I admit I was pretty shocked at 112 cruise missiles.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Keckers)
    Well apparently the Arabs aren't all that keen on that addition to the resolution by the US judging by the most recent statements.
    Should of backed out then. They had plenty of chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I admit I was pretty shocked at 112 cruise missiles.
    Me too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    With Muslim support.....

They are calling it a crusade. Must be the first crusade to have Muslims involved
    maybe you were being saracastic but you do the first crusades were the christians against the muslims right?

ReputationRep:
    I see the US are slowly but surely retreating, leaving the UK and France to take the heat. And who can blame them?

ReputationRep:
    I see the US are slowly but surely retreating, leaving the UK and France to take the heat. And who can blame them?
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    In theory, no. But in practice we don't have a huge amount of choice. In the name of human rights and because the conflict there could ultimately pose a significant threat to us, the West had to really intervene. Alongside that, there's the question of oil. Yes, it's a very selfish way of thinking but at the end of the day, the public would be the first ones to complain if petrol prices skyrocketed overnight. However, it is frustrating that the government can afford to spend so much money on this war, that war and another one but not have enough to effectively fund the NHS, social services and education.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the war because the libyans are being slaughtered. It is the next holocaust, complete genocide.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.