68.68%
    No
    30.84%
    Unsure
    0.48%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swell)
    Ahh yes Gaddafi and his 'figures'....

I know you're probably taking the .... but anyway. The 'civilians' who've been killed and wounded, well the majority of whom have apparently been identified as members of Gaddafi's army.

Gaddafi will obviously exaggerate the figures.
    whatever said and done i dont think 6 european and american states will agree to help the civilians within a matter of 6-7 hrs ! all seems so planned! i really do think and have a very strong feeling tht they are planning to takeo ver libya and prolly slowly the whole arab world cuz we have oil !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    Do you agree with the Uk/French lead UN no fly zone resolution 1973?

Please provide opinions if you feel like it.

This is a public poll.
    America handled it well by persuading the Arab League to endorse the motion.
    The criticism from the Arab league secretary was bizarre, and probably driven by politics. Support from the Arab league is vital.

ReputationRep:
    Oh hell yeah, can't wait to be blown up in retaliation.

Useful for Cameron to slip a few cheeky cuts under the radar, though.

ReputationRep:
    There is No place for dictators in this world... Gaddafi reminds me of Hitler, no regard for what people wants, going on a war to keep his position and looting people's money....
    Waiting for the coalition forces and the people's resistance to take down Presidential Palace...

ReputationRep:
    What's our exit strategy if this drags on a la Iraq/Afghanistan?

What if people rally to Gaddafi when civilian casualties inevitably occur and he's seen as a martyr?

How will financial markets cope with higher commodity prices and increased volatility?

What happens if the people we're supporting are just as nasty, nepotistic and dictatorial as Gaddafi? there's already reports of them lynching black africans

What if these revolutions have been overemphasised by countries eager to replace Gaddafi? There are separatists/resistance fighters in the DROCongo, Iran, Turkey, Colombia, all of whom command significant respect if not among a vast swathe of the population, then at least within their ethnic group. Why do we not support these with air strikes and cruise missiles

This is going to get ugly and we have no exit plan. I may be accused of heartlessness but if we go around trying to right the whole world's wrongs we may be here some time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    they will save civilian lives.
    Yes, bombing the **** out of towns and villages will save civilian lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    He meant Arab. :rolleyes:
    No, he meant Muslim. The Crusades were fought between Muslims and Christians - two competing religious ideologies and the nations which supported them. Ethnicity wasn't the point of contention...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by anonymous 428)
    no
    they are just gonna take over cuz they want oil -_- greddy ppl : (
    or mayb this a plot to kill arabs/muslim!
    isnt is obvious?
    the fighter jets flying over libya killed 76 ppl.. i thought they were supposed to help the libyan ppl -_- not hurt them!!!
    You actually believe Gadaffi's figures?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Let me get this right, it costs hundreds of thousands for every bomb we drop and you reckon the RAF are going to just indiscriminately bomb every building they see? The MOD know that even if they pull off a minor miracle and don't kill any civillians people like yourself will still shout and scream that they are and you honestly think that they are going to deliberately target civillians? Why? Why? Why!?!?!?
    The bombs are accurate to within 1/2 metres and they are aiming for tanks and anti-air installations - I don't know what your house is like but I think it's pretty hard to confuse a house with a tank...

Seriously, please explain this train of thought with something remotely resembling logic? I'm not going to hold my breath.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Reason why Libya and not Zimbabwe is a) the world needs stable oil regions and b) Ever heard of Mogadishu?
    stupid. Gaddafi already allowed BP as a major contractor in extracting oil just before the intervention. Why the hell would the british government go against them when they were already taking his oil?

wow you actually believe the figures of a man who called on a ceasefire at the same time attacked Benghazi and blamed it on the rebels for initiating it? who then refused independent investigation?

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm:
    That was Gadaffi. The UN are bombing military targets.
    The ignorance in this thread is outstanding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tut.exe)
    stupid. Gaddafi already allowed BP as a major contractor in extracting oil just before the intervention. Why the hell would the british government go against them when they were already taking his oil?
    Isn't it stupid to ignore what I said and make a strawman? I said STABLE OIL REGIONS. Now does a civil war render a country stable or unstable? :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrGuillotine)
    You can't predict the future but you'd do well to find out who the hell you're supporting now. You haven't got a clue who the rebels are, and neither have I. Let's hope the guys making the decisions do, otherwise we could be just ****ing ourselves over.
    If you were wondering who the rebels are: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...401472186.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    :facepalm:
    That was Gadaffi. The UN are bombing military targets.
    The ignorance in this thread is outstanding.
    There have already been tens of civilian deaths. I don't care what they think they're targeting, they're killing even more innocent people.

ReputationRep:
    The UK government are terrorists. Simple as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    Absolutely disagree.

This is a colonial war just like Iraq and Afghanistan.
    How is it a colonial war?

We're not trying to take over Libya, we're not occupying Libya and we're not fighting the people of Libya. We're trying to remove the current dictator there to allow democracy to follow. Libya will then elect their own leader, assuming they want to.

So it clearly isn't a colonial war. It's not even a war (yet)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenocide)
    How is it a colonial war?

We're not trying to take over Libya, we're not occupying Libya and we're not fighting the people of Libya. We're trying to remove the current dictator there to allow democracy to follow. Libya will then elect their own leader, assuming they want to.

So it clearly isn't a colonial war. It's not even a war (yet)!
    Gadaffi was a very difficult character to deal with in that he didn't automatically allow big oil corporations to exploit his country's resources, therefore we were bound to try and topple him the first chance we got. At the first sniff of an uprising the media started making unsubstantiated claims about air strikes on civilians and massacres of protestors (which never happened) and now they are using this as an excuse to bomb Gadaffi's forces into submission. I think they're banking on there being a military coup to oust him, as already nearly happened when the generals flew to Malta.

When Gadaffi goes, the West will financially back their puppet of choice who will then win the election and put all the oil contracts on the free market with generously low corporation tax, which is exactly what happened in Afghanistan and Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    Instead of a war could we not just assassinate Gadaffi?!

Simples lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    Gadaffi was a very difficult character to deal with in that he didn't automatically allow big oil corporations to exploit his country's resources, therefore we were bound to try and topple him the first chance we got. At the first sniff of an uprising the media started making unsubstantiated claims about air strikes on civilians and massacres of protestors (which never happened) and now they are using this as an excuse to bomb Gadaffi's forces into submission. I think they're banking on there being a military coup to oust him, as already nearly happened when the generals flew to Malta.

When Gadaffi goes, the West will financially back their puppet of choice who will then win the election and put all the oil contracts on the free market with generously low corporation tax, which is exactly what happened in Afghanistan and Iraq.
    Congratulations, 5 points to Gryffindor for realising we like oil!

You're quite right, we'll support whoever is willing to give us that oil. It's 'you scratch our back, we'll scratch yours', as it always has been in politics. But that doesn't make it a colonial war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smophy)
    Instead of a war could we not just assassinate Gadaffi?!

Simples lol
    It would be illegal.
    It would make us no better than him.

Simples.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.