• View Poll Results: Do you agree with the no-fly zone
    Yes
    68.68%
    No
    30.84%
    Unsure
    0.48%

ReputationRep:
    The West are only intervening because they are harping on about humanitarian reasons, when the truth is that it's all to do with oil! Libya is the main oil source and with all this **** going on, Gaddafi is annoyed at the U.S, U.K etc because they're all ''conspiring'' against him, he cuts off their oil, so if the British help the rebels take Gaddafi down, they'll be in the rebels good books, when a new rebel leader comes in = more oil for the West countries.

The reason I say this is because;
    - Each missile costs around $10-50 million, they've already shot 100's of them, so now we're in the big bucks, not a particularly cheap rescue mission- but;

- There are millions of starving people in Africa, with Malaria, HIV/Aids, suffering etc- and although we do give aid- we're forking out millions to bomb somewhere in Libya, instead of perhaps sending a few million to help build suitable conditions for babies and medical equipment, or fund education for young Africans.

- America believe that what is going on in Libya is morally wrong; I quote ''The government are killing their own people''. In America, they have a death sentence- okay, it is for those who do morally wrong- but to Colonel Gadaffi, what they're doing in Libya, the rebelling, is wrong to him- he's punishing them for it ( I'm not condoning it whatsoever by the way!!!), basically, the American's are huge hypocrites because they're simply contradicting themselves, because they basically kill their own people themselves. America has no welfare state; so many people live on the streets, turn to prostitution etc.

I think we have to read between the lines here, our PM can put on a big smile and the whole ''We're doing this because it is legal and morally right'' when really, they want oil.

I do hope that Gadaffi is taken down, and the rebels get the freedom that they're obviously extremely passionate about, because enough is enough. I suppose regardless of the UN's selfish decision, it is aiding the rebels, who I feel do deserve the lucky break and our army can provide them with the artillery which they are lacking.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by garethDT)
    So if we only attack them from the air and launch missiles from sea it's not war? What sort of screwed up double speak is that?
    "A legal state created by a declaration of war and ended by official declaration during which the international rules of war apply"

There has been no declaration. We are merely protecting civilians as specified by a UN resolution. We will not be using ground troops nor trying to destroy the entire Libyan infrastructure other than air defenses.

ReputationRep:
    So if we only attack them from the air and launch missiles from sea it's not war? What sort of screwed up double speak is that?
    it's not a war, Gaddafi agreed to have a cease fire and broke that agreement. The consequences are that the UN prevent him from killing his own people.
    It's not a war against libya, it's FOR libya, the people of libya are terrified of Gaddafi and thousands of them have been killed.

ReputationRep:
    Are people forgetting that the British are fighting Gadaffi who is using BRITISH made weapons?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Going in guns blazing into matters that don't concern us at all, using terror to get what it wants. (Read: Oil, and glory for CamOron.)

And yes, it is wrong since there will be inevitable retaliation attacks on us and our citizens.
    I'd really rather not read that. This has jack all to do with oil and you will make yourself look stupid if you continue to claim that.

I doubt that. The no fly zone has support from the Arab nations Its hard to claim this is a crusade against Islam when Muslim nations are helping and actually asked for it.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Butane)
    From whom did Gaddafi purchase said weapons?
    That has nothing to do with anything tbh. Different government difference time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robin22391)
    why people thumb this down i do not know, do people like war, do they like sending british kids off to murder people.

this poll would be reversed if the media attention was all on bahrain or the congo.
    Do you like leaving Gaddafi's forces to murder people?

The "British kids" will not be deliberately targeting one civilian.

Gaddafi's forces have already deliberately targeted thousands of civilians. That we would kill anything like that is unimaginable, and they would be mistakes made in very carefully planned, difficult operations. Meanwhile, Gaddafi's forces are shooting civilians in cold blood and you are suggesting that we sit back and watch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    I'd really rather not read that. This has jack all to do with oil and you will make yourself look stupid if you continue to claim that.

I doubt that. The no fly zone has support from the Arab nations Its hard to claim this is a crusade against Islam when Muslim nations are helping and actually asked for it.
    What she said, has everything to do with oil. So read it.

the no fly zone has support from arab nations who are puppets of western governments. They do not represent their own people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    "A legal state created by a declaration of war and ended by official declaration during which the international rules of war apply"

There has been no declaration. We are merely protecting civilians as specified by a UN resolution. We will not be using ground troops nor trying to destroy the entire Libyan infrastructure other than air defenses.
    Oh so it's only a war if we say it is? You honestly believe we are spending all that money on protecting citizens? If so I'm wasting my breath, there really is no hope for people like you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

Do keep up, they've now condemmed what's happened.
    http://www.allvoices.com/contributed...-international
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Oh so it's only a war if we say it is? You honestly believe we are spending all that money on protecting citizens? If so I'm wasting my breath, there really is no hope for people like you.
    Likewise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak137)
    Are people forgetting that the British are fighting Gadaffi who is using BRITISH made weapons?
    And how precisely does that affect the moral basis of UN resolution 1973 and it's implementation?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    He is playing politics. Its pretty clear. The guy is looking for a run as Egypt's next president and nothing will get him votes that to appear to be standing up to the West.

Anyone who read the resolution knew this was coming.

ReputationRep:
    In the most cynically motivated political move of this whole affair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoaaK)
    it's not a war, Gaddafi agreed to have a cease fire and broke that agreement. The consequences are that the UN prevent him from killing his own people.
    It's not a war against libya, it's FOR libya, the people of libya are terrified of Gaddafi and thousands of them have been killed.
    It is a war, I'm not going to carry on that discussion.

And yes it is a war against the recognised government of Libya. Where did you get the idea that 'thousands' have been killed? You plucked it out the air, with no evidence to back it up. Just like all the media coverage of this war, it's based on unsubstantiated propaganda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    He is playing politics. Its pretty clear. The guy is looking for a run as Egypt's next president and nothing will get him votes that to appear to be standing up to the West.

Anyone who read the resolution knew this was coming.
    Well, tbh I don't think that's true. It's a big problem, and it will be deeply concerning for the coalition partners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bj_945)
    And how precisely does that affect the moral basis of UN resolution 1973 and it's implementation?
    Lets just say Britain shot itself in the foot.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by bj_945)
    Well, tbh I don't think that's true. It's a big problem, and it will be deeply concerning for the coalition partners.
    Well Qatar's jets just entered Libya so they can't be that annoyed.

ReputationRep:
    It is a war, I'm not going to carry on that discussion.

And yes it is a war against the recognised government of Libya. Where did you get the idea that 'thousands' have been killed? You plucked it out the air, with no evidence to back it up. Just like all the media coverage of this war, it's based on unsubstantiated propaganda.
    i'm not gonna carry that discussion either because you obviously don't understand the meaning of a no-fly zone.

and many newsreporters have said that they've estimated that thousands have been killed. they haven't counted all the bodies yet so it can't be supported by emperical evidence. and wtf, the media coverage blatantly has evidence backing it up, it's got cameras that have recorded dead bodies etc. .......

ReputationRep:
    He's a madman and must be stopped

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.