Yes
    68.68%
    No
    30.84%
    Unsure
    0.48%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Collateral damage MAY occur, but less lives will be harmed with UN intervention than without it making your point redundant.
    Collateral damage WILL occur, and already has. It is impossible to prevent collateral damage when conducting air raids on this scale.

Not true, my point being that there are other ways to resolve the problem without bombing the **** out of a country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    I'm not very knowledgeable on this sort of thing I'll admit, but I really highly doubt the government would put any time or money into this if they wern't getting something back. They say its to help the Libyan people, but really they'll only help if they get something out of it too.

Example: Isn't there a dictator in Zimbabwe? Look at the suffering there. Do you see the West doing anything about it? No. Why? Because I doubt they'll get anything out of it.
    Read my previous post. Definitely those countries who are involved would TRY to get something out of this but it's not always a motivation as to why they went to war. The British went to war in the Korean war, and what did they gain from it?

As it is, the government at worst, is just trying to keep British influence active.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    I'm not very knowledgeable on this sort of thing I'll admit, but I really highly doubt the government would put any time or money into this if they wern't getting something back. They say its to help the Libyan people, but really they'll only help if they get something out of it too.

Example: Isn't there a dictator in Zimbabwe? Look at the suffering there. Do you see the West doing anything about it? No. Why? Because I doubt they'll get anything out of it.
    Reason why Libya and not Zimbabwe is a) the world needs stable oil regions and b) Ever heard of Mogadishu?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    :teehee:
    Whether you like him or not, and I mostly don't, he has shown leadership on this issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Reason why Libya and not Zimbabwe is a) the rich needs stable oil regions and b) Ever heard of Mogadishu?
    Corrected for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainthegreat)
    Collateral damage WILL occur, and already has. It is impossible to prevent collateral damage when conducting air raids on this scale.

Not true, my point being that there are other ways to resolve the problem without bombing the **** out of a country.
    Where is your proof??? Libyan state TV?? :rofl:
    Holy **** you can't be that easily manipulated right?
    Oh how are you going to stop someone like Gadaffi? Talk to him? :rolleyes: Please tell me you're not that naive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woods.vanessa)
    My question is why Libya?
    Similar situations are happening in Bahrain and it looks like Saudi Arabia is going that way.
    Does that mean they are going to go into these countries too?
    Libya because it is a civil war with armed pro-democracy revolutionaries against a dictator who has freely admitted that he is going to "punish" all those who stood against him. And the rebels asked for international intervention.

Bahrain and Saudi Arabia are just protests at the moment and even thought they are being violently repressed, they haven't taken control of half the country, they haven't asked for international intervention. The situations are totally different.

Which is something a lot of people on this forum don't seem to understand: All international situations are individual, there is no template action to be taken, each must be examined individually.

All I know is that Libya has the highest Human Development Index than any other African country and an excellent education system for its citizens. Iraq was the same in the Middle East, and also had an excellent health service, until we reduced the country to rubble. The same will happen to Libya, such countries will never achieve democracy as we define it, maybe it works for us but the people over there have different system in place for centuries.

If a person tells me in here that Iraq is better now than it was before our invasion, he/she will be a great liar. Leaders of such countries were and still are puppets, placed there by our governments (the West), they serve their purpose and then we get rid of them once they served their purpose. See Al Qaeda for example, having the USA's backing when fighting the Russians in the 80s, see Saddam having the USA's backing when fighting Iran some decades ago and the list goes on and on......Saddam was oppressing other minorities for decades, why didn't we hear the West complaining about it, simple, because our puppet had not set his eyes on Kuwait's oil all this time. Once he did we invaded to "protect" the human rights of the minorities.

Why did France and the rest of Europe stay out of the USA's invasion in Iraq, because the oil in the region was of interest to USA and UK mainly, so they would not make any profit after spending billions in a war.

Why is France spearheading the war against Libya, because North Africa's oil reserves are of interest to them and they will profit out this war although they will most likely waste billions for the attack.

(Original post by Tut.exe)
    Read my previous post. Definitely those countries who are involved would TRY to get something out of this but it's not always a motivation as to why they went to war. The British went to war in the Korean war, and what did they gain from it?

As it is, the government at worst, is just trying to keep British influence active.
    Ah I see.

Regardless though. They're at least saying "Look the Britains care enough to help another country out" and thus keep international relations in tact.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    Changing your dictator every few years is hardly freedom.
    We have democracy in this country. Are you saying there's no difference between voting Gordon Brown into power and voting Nick Griffin into power? Both would have very different ruling styles with very different values, policies and intentions. It's clear that having the ability to choose between leaders of such polarised values is freedom. Having the ability to choose between leaders at all is a situation of greater freedom than not having the ability.

ReputationRep:
    Corrected for you.
    So the poor don't need petrol and plastics?
    Go don you tin foil hat and spout your communist rhetoric.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Whether you like him or not, and I mostly don't, he shown leadership on this issue.
    Sorry, has running the country suddenly become The X Factor? Out of all the politicians desperate to become PM, whoever actually gets the job should show leadership at all times and be an all round perfect leader. Not occasionaly showing a 'spark of genius' like a trophy to add to the leadership cabinet.

The complacency of this country despairs me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    So the poor don't need petrol and plastics?
    Go don you tin foil hat and spout your communist rhetoric.
    looool ohnoes communist is such a bad word! Run for cover! Kind of like capatalist, really.

Those who are actually poor don't need petrol because they're struggling to stay alive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    Absolutely disagree.

This is a colonial war just like Iraq and Afghanistan.
    SPOT ON! nothing to do with Britain and france so they should **** off

ReputationRep:
    And it's funny how they're all calling him a 'dictator'.
    He didn't become one overnight!
    Such hypocrisy it's a joke.
    Matter of convenience..........one can only hope their brief is to prevent attacks on Bengazhi.......but then i knw i am naive when i hope that its only that much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamijack)
    Libya because it is a civil war with armed pro-democracy revolutionaries against a dictator who has freely admitted that he is going to "punish" all those who stood against him. And the rebels asked for international intervention.

Bahrain and Saudi Arabia are just protests at the moment and even thought they are being violently repressed, they haven't taken control of half the country, they haven't asked for international intervention. The situations are totally different.

Which is something a lot of people on this forum don't seem to understand: All international situations are individual, there is no template action to be taken, each must be examined individually.
    The rebels do not represent the thoughts of Libya as a whole, a lot of people forget that Gaddafi still has many supporters.
    Bahrain and Saudi Arabia are not just protests, many people are being killed now. It may not be on the scale of Libya yet but it eventually will be and so will Britain intervene then because nobody's answered that question.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, has running the country suddenly become The X Factor? Out of all the politicians desperate to become PM, whoever actually gets the job should show leadership at all times and be an all round perfect leader. Not occasionaly showing a 'spark of genius' like a trophy to add to the leadership cabinet.

The complacency of this country despairs me.
    Where the hell did I mention the X-factor? Did Gordon Brown show leadership at all times? It does take time to grow into a job. I'm sure if he had a Tory majority behind him I would like more of the decisions he made.

ReputationRep:
    looool ohnoes communist is such a bad word! Run for cover! Kind of like capatalist, really.

Those who are actually poor don't need petrol because they're struggling to stay alive.
    My god!!! ......such paranoia to communism.......paranoia to guys like stalin is ok i guess......but then capitalism has its villains too.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Where the hell did I mention the X-factor? Did Gordon Brown show leadership at all times, it does take time to grow into a job. I'm sure if he had a Tory majority behind him I would like more of the decisions he made.
    No I mentioned it because that seems to be the general concensus when it comes to anything in this silly country now. Let's try a little and see what happens but let's not go out of our way.

If you're going to run a country and tell us all what to do, at the very least I expect you to be working all hours and perfect in the job from day 1. He's been there almost a year now, and is a poor version of Blair.

ReputationRep:
    The rebels do not represent the thoughts of Libya as a whole, a lot of people forget that Gaddafi still has many supporters.
    Bahrain and Saudi Arabia are not just protests, many people are being killed now. It may not be on the scale of Libya yet but it eventually will be and so will Britain intervene then because nobody's answered that question.
    The rebels represent the majority of the Libyan people, how else do you explain the fact that they took pretty much the whole of the country, bar Tripoli and Sirte, the only two towns where people are openly in support of Gaddafi?

Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Yemen are not yet armed revolutions, if and when they are then I would fully support an international intervention if it was asked for by the pro-democracy revolutionaries.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.