Yes
    68.68%
    No
    30.84%
    Unsure
    0.48%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisred)
    My god!!! ......such paranoia to communism.......paranoia to guys like stalin is ok i guess......but then capitalism has its villains too.....
    You're telling me! Hello banks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    We have democracy in this country. Are you saying there's no difference between voting Gordon Brown into power and voting Nick Griffin into power? Both would have very different ruling styles with very different values, policies and intentions. It's clear that having the ability to choose between leaders of such polarised values is freedom. Having the ability to choose between leaders at all is a situation of greater freedom than not having the ability.
    Gordon Brown was never voted into power. And it isn't a choice between polarised values, it's a choice between conservative and labour, whose policies are broadly the same. Representative democracy is a great way to give people the illusion of freedom since the majority of the country are morons, Murdoch tells them who to vote for and they do as they are told.

I don't believe in representative democracy because it hands the power over to morons to choose their dictator.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. The Libyan people have asked for our help, and we shall rightly support them, paving the way for freedom of choice for all. With our help, the Libyan people should stand a better chance of removing their vicious despot from power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    No I mentioned it because that seems to be the general concensus when it comes to anything in this silly country now. Let's try a little and see what happens but let's not go out of our way.

If you're going to run a country and tell us all what to do, at the very least I expect you to be working all hours and perfect in the job from day 1. He's been there almost a year now, and is a poor version of Blair.
    In my original post I only wrote what I thought of him. I am sure he works hard everyday, just like I am sure that all PMs before him used to. I just said that I liked the way he led on this issue, and I am someone who is not impressed by the some of the policies he has undertaken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    And the majority of North Koreans are happy with their dictator. Does that immediately mean that they shouldn't even be given the chance to change it? Having the freedom to choose the leader of your country comes hand in hand with being happy with your leader. It's all well and good being happy with your leader, but having the chance to vote to change the leader is more important.
    People are brainwashed in North Korea, though. If the people there complain, they are removed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    In my original post I only wrote what I thought of him. I am sure he works hard everyday, just like I am sure that all PMs before him used to. I just said that I liked the way he led on this issue, and I am someone who is not impressed by the some of the policies he has undertaken.
    Fine. I'll admit it. I'm annoyed it didn't go to Boris.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamijack)
    The rebels represent the majority of the Libyan people, how else do you explain the fact that they took pretty much the whole of the country, bar Tripoli and Sirte, the only two towns where people are openly in support of Gaddafi?

Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Yemen are not yet armed revolutions, if and when they are then I would fully support an international intervention if it was asked for by the pro-democracy revolutionaries.
    Well when armed men go into a city everyday people aren't exactly going to disagree with them are they!
    You cannot claim that they represent the majority because you can't know that.
    I doubt the British public would support their armed forces going into Libya, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain AND Yemen whilst there are still troops in Iraq but that's just my opinion.
    It's interesting how countries such as China, Germany and Russia who have some of the biggest defence forces decided not to take part.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    With Muslim support.....

They are calling it a crusade. Must be the first crusade to have Muslims involved
    LOL if you think those Arab countries represent the views of their people.

And anyway, the Arab League has condemned the military strikes on Libya, days after being at the meeting in Paris.

And there were still Muslim countries involved in both the Afghanistan and Iraq war, but that didnt make any difference to anyone's views about those wars.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    Gordon Brown was never voted into power. And it isn't a choice between polarised values, it's a choice between conservative and labour, whose policies are broadly the same. Representative democracy is a great way to give people the illusion of freedom since the majority of the country are morons, Murdoch tells them who to vote for and they do as they are told.

I don't believe in representative democracy because it hands the power over to morons to choose their dictator.
    Nice collection of baseless assertions you have there.

You're clearly not familiar with the concept of 'correlation does not imply causation'. The mere fact that Murdoch happens to support the same party that is in power is not an indicator that Murdoch is the cause of their being in power.

If you don't believe in the effectiveness of representative democracy then what would you prefer? That only university graduates can vote? That only those of a certain IQ can vote? That only the cream of the country's intelligentia can vote? Or do you not believe in democracy at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    Absolutely disagree.

This is a colonial war just like Iraq and Afghanistan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    Where is your proof??? Libyan state TV?? :rofl:
    Holy **** you can't be that easily manipulated right?
    Oh how are you going to stop someone like Gadaffi? Talk to him? :rolleyes: Please tell me you're not that naive.
    You're accusing me of being naive, where do you get your info, Sky News? CNN? Directly from the UN who obviously wouldn't go about proclaiming civilian deaths?

So you think that no innocent civilians have been killed so far right?

And IF the principle of the UN 'intervention' (invasion) is to remove Gaddafi because he is killing his own people then it would be pretty hypocritical to go about removing him in a way which will also cause massive civilian deaths (directly through air strikes and the like and indirectly from the fighting caused by the invasion). Unless you are so naive as to believe this won't be the case?

ReputationRep:
    I think once the dust has settled countries like US, france and UK have to look inwards.........economy is down, jobs are being shipped to India and china, Obama comes to India to sell what?......arms..........why?... ....to generate jobs......wow!!!.....its this jekyll and hyde thing.....on the one hand u need to provide jobs for ur ppl by selling arms and on the other u need to fulfill ur obligations as a peace prize receipient...........dont knw where the world is going.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    People are brainwashed in North Korea, though. If the people there complain, they are removed.
    And? I was responding to the point that democracy should not implemented if the majority support the dictatorship. I see this as an incoherent conclusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrislpp)
    That is an epic fail of an epic fail picture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iainthegreat)
    You're accusing me of being naive, where do you get your info, Sky News? CNN? Directly from the UN who obviously wouldn't go about proclaimed civilian deaths?

So you think that no innocent civilians have been killed so far right?

And IF the principle of the UN 'intervention' (invasion) is to remove Gaddafi because he is killing his own people then it would be pretty hypocritical to go about removing him in a way which will also cause massive civilian deaths (directly through air strikes and the like and indirectly from the fighting caused by the invasion). Unless you are so naive as to believe this won't be the case?
    Where do you get your info from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathew551)
    Yes. The Libyan people have asked for our help, and we shall rightly support them, paving the way for freedom of choice for all. With our help, the Libyan people should stand a better chance of removing their vicious despot from power.
    The Libyan people have not asked us for our help.

The rebels asked us for our help. They are not civilians, they are armed enemy combatants in another soverign nation's civil war.

We are taking sides in armed conflict, a civil war. And eventually regime change is going to be on the table despite the original resolution.

You Sir, should be neg repped viciously for your stupidity and lack of understanding in the matter because you're so brainwashed by the Western Media.

ReputationRep:
    The fail lingering around current affairs today is quite tremendous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamijack)
    The rebels represent the majority of the Libyan people, how else do you explain the fact that they took pretty much the whole of the country, bar Tripoli and Sirte, the only two towns where people are openly in support of Gaddafi?

Bahrain, Saudi Arabia and Yemen are not yet armed revolutions, if and when they are then I would fully support an international intervention if it was asked for by the pro-democracy revolutionaries.
    Do you not see it as completely foolish to be supporting these 'rebels' when we have absolutely no idea who the hell they are, or what they represent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazty)
    At the cost of many innocent lives? Wow what a horrible person you are.
    You are an idiot. You think the West gives a **** about innocent lives. What about Yemen and Bahrain, innocent people are being killed there? Why aren't the West interfering? They're just doing it for their selfish needs you cretin. Learn to think for yourself instead of recycling the crap you hear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woods.vanessa)
    Well when armed men go into a city everyday people aren't exactly going to disagree with them are they!
    You cannot claim that they represent the majority because you can't know that.
    I doubt the British public would support their armed forces going into Libya, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain AND Yemen whilst there are still troops in Iraq but that's just my opinion.
    It's interesting how countries such as China, Germany and Russia who have some of the biggest defence forces decided not to take part.
    Well by your own logic you can't know that they aren't the majority of the people. BTW, are you dumb? Because British forces pulled out of Iraq ages ago.... Also we aren't going to send ground troops to any of these countries, the UN didn't clear that and there is no political support for it.

China, Russia and Germany didn't take part, so what? They don't have to intervene if they don't want to, they may feel like they are undermining the credibility of the revolution, which is a perfectly valid excuse.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.