Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should African countries be scrapped and recreated? watch

ReputationRep:
    I had a conversation with my South African friend about the differences between states in Africa and everywhere else. He is of the opinion that most African states have no real reason to exist.

Countries like Pakistan were created because the Muslims in India wanted a separate state from the Hindus. It has a reason for existing.

Countries in Africa were mostly created by colonial administrators randomly dividing up a map, with most boundaries between African states being completely arbitrary. A lot of ethnic groups and clans have been divided down the middle leading to different factions in a lot of African states.

One of the reasons why 6 different countries get dragged in when there is a war in Africa is because people have loyalty to their tribe and ethnic group rather than to their country.

The South Sudan referendum recently is a good example of how Sudan was created badly in the first place.

Because of these things, should African states be recreated so they actually make sense?

ReputationRep:
    Are you ****ing mental?

ReputationRep:
    Recreated by who?

ReputationRep:
    That's not going to work now, seeing as the Chinese government have set up camp there.

They are actually improving Africa in a lot of ways other then shooting it's elephants.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to see this actually go ahead

ReputationRep:
    I tried to propose a US of Africa before...

Suffice to say that the cynics and sceptics on TSR put me down en masse...

Good luck... :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    erm... No?

ReputationRep:
    It's easier for the West to exploit countries when they're weak. Therefore, they have no reason to allow or to promote such a development. In any case, there would be a lot of opposition to such plans in African countries themselves, where corruption is rife.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    That's not going to work now, seeing as the Chinese government have set up camp there.

They are actually improving Africa in a lot of ways other then shooting it's elephants.
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: Who came up with this plan..... Col. Gadaffi?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elandar)
    I had a conversation with my South African friend about the differences between states in Africa and everywhere else. He is of the opinion that most African states have no real reason to exist.

Countries like Pakistan were created because the Muslims in India wanted a separate state from the Hindus. It has a reason for existing.

Countries in Africa were mostly created by colonial administrators randomly dividing up a map, with most boundaries between African states being completely arbitrary. A lot of ethnic groups and clans have been divided down the middle leading to different factions in a lot of African states.

One of the reasons why 6 different countries get dragged in when there is a war in Africa is because people have loyalty to their tribe and ethnic group rather than to their country.

The South Sudan referendum recently is a good example of how Sudan was created badly in the first place.

Because of these things, should African states be recreated so they actually make sense?
    Should your face be scrapped off and stuck back on?. Its a rehetorical question silly. Just like you have two nostrils, does'nt exactly mean you are divided.

If African leaders were not happy with the divisions, they would have made a hell lot of changes to the mappings since their individual independence from their colonies.

Now do us a favor love and let Africa be!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mauvetard)
    :confused:
    I believe No Man means to say that the Chinese government is colonising Africa, which is true to some extent - they're in it for the natural resources which they so need. But suggesting that they're improving Africa follows the same reasoning as suggesting that British colonialism improved India, and I don't agree with that; therefore I don't agree that the Chinese are bringing improvements to Africa.

ReputationRep:
    That would work well... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    I believe No Man means to say that the Chinese government is colonising Africa, which is true to some extent - they're in it for the natural resources which they so need. But suggesting that they're improving Africa follows the same reasoning as suggesting that British colonialism improved India, and I don't agree with that; therefore I don't agree that the Chinese are bringing improvements to Africa.
    They are investing loads of money into Africa, which is a pretty decent start for Africa to improve on.
    http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/61/0/39523716.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Well a large problem with splitting everything according to ethnicity is that 'ethnic lands' aren't exactly clear cuts. For example for Libya:

Ethnic maps in Africa resemble more of a jigsaw compared to much of western Europe, and of course in relatively unstable regions you could get nation-states fighting each other for land and have ethnic cleansing as opposed to internal squabbling. The land-grab after the breakup of Yugoslavia being an example, and in one respect Somalia vs Ethiopia in the late 70s.

Then there is the issue with the nomadic and semi-nomadic that move around and even in the current state of things move between national borders.

And of course Africa is experiencing urbanisation, which may trigger a 'melting pot' and nullify the current tribal-ethnic allegiances to an extent by making them have even less of a geographical bind than they currently do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Man)
    They are providing proper roads for starters.
    I don't dispute that. But isn't it obvious that this is so that they can exploit the country's natural resources more efficiently?

ReputationRep:
    governments should be, and im not just talking about lybia.

for example, i read in the times that the son of the president (or w.e) of equatorial guinea bought a £300 mill yacht.

when that money should be put into hospitals and edication OR SOMETHING GOOD LIKE THAT!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elandar)

Ok suppose that they were recreated, who would be resposnible for deciding where the lines would be drawn? Let me guess the West?
    The only reason Africa is so messed up is because of centuries of European exploitation. Go ahead and neg this til your fingers break. If it wasn't for colonialism i doubt Africa would be in this much of a shambles. Suppose that the "Restart" went ahead what difference would there be? African resources are pretty much owned and controlled by foreigners. People would still be poor it's just that they'd be more split up and war would break out for another reason.
    There seems to be a general contempt for all Africans and people with black skin. I study Economics and in one of my lectures we were presented with data over how the world's regions have changed development wise. Africa is actually getting worse while the rest of the world is improving especially East Asia. The rest of the world adavnces at the expense of Africa. Sure there are modern cities but Africa is at least overall a few centuries behind everyone else. It's just literally HELL ON EARTH !

ReputationRep:
    I'm an African and I think most countries should be recreated, countries drawn accordingly to ethnic/religious groups.

Most wars are because of interfighting between two ethnic groups/religions etc.

Its like African coming to Europe and declaring Spain and France one country.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon we should just keep reaping resources.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.