Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    [I'm not really sure where this thread belongs, btu I thought this forum seemed appropriate.]

If the moon is receding from the earth at a rate of ~2.5cm per year, how can the moon be "the closest it's been to the earth for 18 years" tonight?

Thank you : )

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon

ReputationRep:
    It is getting further away at that slow rate but it's at Perigee right now (closest point) cos it's orbit isn't completely circular, tis elliptical.

ReputationRep:
    As a non-sciencey type that was forced into doing ****** GNVQ science instead of GCSEs because of my ****ty failure of a school I find it amazing that things like this are so ****ing obvious to me, and not to the average elite A*INEVERYTHING forum members.

Well, I say non-sciencey. Maths or science is probably what I should be studying now. Whatever. >_>

ReputationRep:
    The moon looks the same size as it always is when it's full today...well to me it is

ReputationRep:
    I think I can explain it a bit better than others have:

The moon doesn't orbit the Earth in a circle; it's more erratic than that. This is the same for all orbits I think, such as planets around the Sun.

Just think of an oval orbit rather than a circle for a simpler idea.

So at one point the moon will be closer to the Earth, at the opposite end the moon would be farther from the Earth.

This is not going to be affected by a change of not even half a metre (2.5cm x 18) in distance from the Earth.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.