Turn on thread page Beta

Does my friend deserve to be hurt ? watch

one of my close friend had a very messy break up with his gf about last year. The girl was just not right, he treated him so badly and cheated on him several times. This messed him up alot and also affected his studies. For the past few months my friend has man up and got on with his life.

He recently met a girl whom he thought was lovely and wanted to get to know her, upon also set up a date to meet her tomorrow. but just last week, the long lost ex gf rang up with a story that a her only best friend has died, struggling with her work and other family issue etc. she has been calling my friend literally everyday since last week. she threatened to kill herself, drop out of uni and also do other silly things. i dont know why he kept contact with her

From the girl's point of view she has no other close friend and that she was on the edge of breakdown. So due to this my friend just cancelled his date with the girl and board a train yesterday to spend the weekend with the ex (i.e. to keep her companied as she has no friends :rolleyes:)

I really dont get whats wrong with him, he totally disappointed the other girl, literally led her on as if any relationship would develop. so my question is does he really need to be hurt because this girl is only using him. she only turns up to him when she is in need and my friend is stupid enough to go along with her little sweet stories. As a friend i didnt really wanted to get too much involved instead i told him to do what he feels is right.

Does he deserve to be hurt again?

ReputationRep:
    Things happen and you have to let go sometimes.. the ex deserves some sympathy here tho

ReputationRep:
    He deserves to be poked with needles for...a short period of time, yes.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone deserves to get hurt because human beings are disgusting creatures.

ReputationRep:
    Whats wrong with just postponing the date?

ReputationRep:
    of course he does not deserve to be hurt. he sounds as if he is a really nice person but that makes him a target for his ex. she could do that to him because he lets her do it to him. he should have the balls to tell her that a friendship is not possible if she puts so much pressure on him. she should see professional help with her problems. he can´t handle her and her problems. he should declare some rules for a friendship and she has to live with it or leave him alone.

ReputationRep:
    Does your friend deserve for you to poke your nose into feelings only he can understand and then share your self-righteousness about his life on a forum full of people who have absolutely no idea about the situation? My spider senses are saying ERRRR PROBABLY NOT

ReputationRep:
    The ex sounds horribly selfish and manipulative; do bad stuff to someone, dump them horribly and then expect comfort and sympathy the minute something goes wrong in their life?!

Your friend is an idiot, even if kind, for pursuing this girl. Has his feelings for her gone? I understand you may still care to an extent someone you've once cared about, but when that person has treated you so horribly in the past - it's not right, and probably foolish, to sacrifice any amount of attention on them.

And threatening suicide?! What a joke.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why.

If any of my exes (bar one) called me saying their best friend had died and they didn't know who to turn to, I would help them if I could, even if it meant cancelling a date with my current boyfriend. I'm afraid helping someone who is mourning is a bit more important than a date.

EDIT: Why the neg?

Does your mate have 'mug' tattoo'd across his head?

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Anyone that voluntarily runs to the person who put them through all of that deserves anything that can and will happen to him again.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 19, 2011
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.