Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What Would Happen If Somebody Completely Destroyed Oxbridge? watch

ReputationRep:
    I got a whole 2 warning points for this!! Surely I should have only been alerted???

Damn Mods - I should topple their citadel and ravage TSR!!

ReputationRep:
    I got a whole 2 warning points for this!! Surely I should have only been alerted???

On another note, poor ISA - I totally forgot about her... :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    Trolling at its best.
    I think that is a compliment... :erm:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I will look after ISA while she has a mental breakdown...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)

2 warning points for what... ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by disenchant3d)
    2 warning points for what... ?
    For posting it in Current Affairs! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    For posting it in Current Affairs! :lol:
    Aha, I see. Was about to say..

ReputationRep:
    I think that is a compliment... :erm:
    Oh how so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DLJ)
    Oh how so?
    You called him the best. Just because it's at trolling, doesn't make it any less special (it's like the people who win gold in Beach Volleyball at the Olympics).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    You called him the best. Just because it's at trolling, doesn't make it any less special (it's like the people who win gold in Beach Volleyball at the Olympics).
    Let's face it, winning ANY gold medal at the Olympics would be fantastic, and a VERY big deal . But I get your point. He tried, I'll give him that. I'll retort that he was the best, an okay effort considering.

ReputationRep:
    Imperial will take it's place. Out with the old, in with the new.

Joke

ReputationRep:
    They'd rebuild it. Fast.

Trust me, no way are they letting go of Britain's prized possessions. They are literally as valuable as Buckingham Palace. The sheer amount of money from foreign students and donations from alumni and companies would fund a (very) small country.

ReputationRep:
    I would scream "Hallelujah!" from the top of the highest mountain and then turn on the tv to see the many reports and this "disaster".
    But probably the only thing that will happen is loads of media coverage to find the next oxbridge.

A friend of mine was extremely (and I mean extremely) disappointed that he was rejected from Cambridge and he made a really ridiculous and outrageous comment, something along the lines of "If I don't get to be Prime Minister, nobody will!" - He wanted to do PPS and had very (very!) high hopes for the future - but the comment was quite OTT.

So, it got me thinking - what would occur if the entire campuses of Oxford and Cambridge were destroyed - say in a freak terrorist attack or something?? Would we then get a Prime Minister from a different stock? (Having said that, Gordon Brown did go to Edinburgh.) What would happen to all of the future Justices, top barristers etc?? - would they all now have to come from different unis other than Oxbridge? Many things would be highly different?? How different would the Britain/the world be??
    I will find the person responsible and then **** would happen.

(Original post by lizlaz350)
    They'd either just rebuild it, or the next best universities would then become the top and become the new Oxbridge.
    You can't just rebuild it. That's like knocking down every historical building in the world and saying "oh we can just B&Q it".

With the last bit - no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    You can't just rebuild it. That's like knocking down every historical building in the world and saying "oh we can just B&Q it".

With the last bit - no.
    Not the historical buildings, but the institution themselves.
    I mean, you'd be able to find lecturers that are the same standard, otherwise Oxbridge would have finished years ago when the lecturers they had retired or died. And there will be plenty more students who are Oxbridge standard to join the universities because, again, otherwise it'd have finished years ago when the students they had graduated.
    It's not the buildings themselves that make Oxford and Cambridge good universities, so yes, you could easily rebuild them.

ReputationRep:
    ISA would be very sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    I will find the person responsible and then **** would happen.
    My condolences. :sigh:

P.S. I do think that there are more than one ISAs in the world - very, very dangerous....

ReputationRep:
    students at the unis of london would have a breath of fresh air

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by espada00)
    students at the unis of london would have a breath of fresh air
    On the contrary, when they attempt to "take a breath of fresh air", they erupt into fits of coughing as the pollution and car fumes fill their lungs! :teehee:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.