Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'll be 27 when I start uni (next year) and I'll stay in halls. Surely it's all part of the experience?

ReputationRep:
    @AidyD

I'm off to UCLan this year, and I'm 24 too, and I've been wondering the same things about being in halls with 18 year olds. Let me know if you're going to halls after all, and if figure out any way to specify that you want to live with other mature students. I can't really afford the en-suite accommodation (it's something like 400 pounds more p.a. if you add it up) but the myths and legends about puke in the showers has really woken me up to the reality that if I have a way to influence who I'm ending up with, I must try.

Since I'm not actually resident in England I can't really go there and get to know the place either! Frustrating

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I was just lucky but I went into self-catering halls (at aged 25) and also ended up sharing with others who were in their second and third years. The age difference was no problem at all as by then they had outgrown the partying every night stage and were more interested in working hard to get a good grade. There was no vomit in the showers either!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jez RR)
    I would say go for halls. The social aspect of living together is a major part of uni life, being surrounded by like-minded people. And the place that interaction happens most is not on campus or placement but at home in the residences.

Lots of nurses in mine, including a 40-yr-old. So you're not quite over the hill yet
    My social life does need a massive kick up the arse so i think i will go for halls haha thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    I heard that the younger students band together on the first few nights and prowl the halls looking for the ''old uns'' as they call us matures. When they find one of us they wrap us in climfilm and carry us out of the building and then masking tape us to the closest lamp post at which point they write mean words on our foreheads with perma marker pens and all this happens to the chant ''out out out''

It's a jungle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidyD)
    Hey Im currently debating on whether to go private or halls for first year at Uni...

Has anyone else decided to choose one of the above and if so what reasons did you use?

Im 24, sociable and like to have a good time, but certainly at Uni to work hard, work a couple part-time jobs and aim high - So Im abit worried at the thought of living in 'halls', where it can apparently get abit crazy, with young 18 year olds let loose for the first time in their life, all night parties and fire alarms going off at all times (exaggerating my point abit)

Im no shrinking violet or anything, but Im wondering if private might be better...

Would love to hear from anyone else who is/has decided on accommodation, or even better some mature students who have lived in halls?

Im going to UCLan, and will be relocating from Bristol so no option to keep current flat.
    Theres a 38 year old kiwi studying law in our flat, he's immense. Do it.

ReputationRep:
    Does he sneak into your room when your asleep and just stand there watching you sleep? I heard students over the age of 19 do this.

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha, I'm tempted to do that now just to live up to that myth

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to add my thoughts! I'm 23 and have about 2 months before I finish my first year and have been living in halls. I'm not going to lie, at first I hated it and at Christmas I was seriously looking into moving out. It was just a combination of things, I didn't like being on campus 24/7 (which is the opposite to most people who choose halls for those reasons) and felt trapped, I was feeling a lot of pressure to be someone I'm not and go out and get wasted all the time, my housemates brought people back who completely abused the flat and made me panic about getting fined/kicked out, people were always knocking on my door and so I felt like I didn't have any space and I just felt like I didn't fit in.
    However after Christmas things improved, my housemates calmed down and slowly we began to learn that we all need our own space and don't need to be hanging out all the time! There are still nights when it's noisy but it's not usually my flatmates! I've also learnt to be more tolerant and deal with the fact that my stuff isn't always going to fit into the freezer and it's not always going to be quiet or tidy!

I think anyone that lives in halls needs to be quite easy going and tolerant just because of the environment. And if you're the sort of person who feels like they have to be going out and partying because everyone else is or gets depressed if they know everyone else is out and you're not, then it might not be the place for you. Money is also an important consideration which is another factor which was also leading to me wanting to move out, the rent for halls is usually more expensive than private rent and you're basically paying for the location and the 'social' aspect.

I know I'm looking forward to moving out next year and not having to pay as much but having more living space and facilities!

ReputationRep:
    I am in exactly the same predicament!

I am 21, 22 in october and i am dubious about living in halls.

I am going to the University of Manchester studying law, and i am certainly there to work!

A little background on myself:
    worked since i was 15
    worked as a club rep at 18 so had an amzing year of non-stop partying and drinking
    returned and have lived pretty much on my own for the last 3 years, recently moved back to my parents to save money after losing my job
    currently work part time in manchester so will be keeping that job when going to uni
    in 2010 i was diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease and alcohol is one of my biggest triggers for a flare up!

when i spoke to the accomodation team at manchester they advised i cannot live in post grad halls as im undergrad.....my biggest fear is to end up with lots of drunken 18 year olds partying all night long....dont get me wrong i enjoy a night out on the town...but obviously with my health i pay for the next day...what id do just to have a hangover like everyone else!

I have applied for accomodation with manchester, opting for the city centre accomodation rather than fallowfields (party central there) and have gone for ensuite.....however im looking at £115 a week for halls and private accomodation in a flatshare in city centre im looking roughly the same maybe a little less....

decision decisions! its so hard!!

Amy xx

ReputationRep:
    I went to Keele for a short while and HATED living in halls...but in all honesty...I'm not sure if I hated it due to the fact I was miserable or I really did hate it. lol

I quite enjoy cleaning so I don't mind doing all the cleaning as I like things done my way.

I don't like saying I'm mature for my age as 22 you should know when to be sensible and when to let go and flow free a bit. lol

ReputationRep:
    We have three mature students as old as you in our flat.

It's perfectly alright. It's not like you're ancient. So long as you don't refer to google as 'the google' and call rap music 'hippity hop', you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amylynne)
    I am in exactly the same predicament!

I am 21, 22 in october and i am dubious about living in halls.

I am going to the University of Manchester studying law, and i am certainly there to work!

A little background on myself:
    worked since i was 15
    worked as a club rep at 18 so had an amzing year of non-stop partying and drinking
    returned and have lived pretty much on my own for the last 3 years, recently moved back to my parents to save money after losing my job
    currently work part time in manchester so will be keeping that job when going to uni
    in 2010 i was diagnosed with inflammatory bowel disease and alcohol is one of my biggest triggers for a flare up!

when i spoke to the accomodation team at manchester they advised i cannot live in post grad halls as im undergrad.....my biggest fear is to end up with lots of drunken 18 year olds partying all night long....dont get me wrong i enjoy a night out on the town...but obviously with my health i pay for the next day...what id do just to have a hangover like everyone else!

I have applied for accomodation with manchester, opting for the city centre accomodation rather than fallowfields (party central there) and have gone for ensuite.....however im looking at £115 a week for halls and private accomodation in a flatshare in city centre im looking roughly the same maybe a little less....

decision decisions! its so hard!!

Amy xx
    I am start manchester this year and from what I have found out is that £115 pw or roughly £500pm, will get you a long way. You might as well rent you own place for that kind of money.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, try the Grosvenor Place, it a mixed hall with postgrads and undergrads, still ok, I heard. Good location. The best postgrad hall of Manchester University is George Kenyon, but hard to get in. You can ask them to put you in a waiting list.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome! If you come to UM finally!

ReputationRep:
    Mature at 23 ??? Try mature at 57! I am a single female, no children, about to embark on a very scary adventure when I join Farnham UCA doing metalwork and jewellery next September. Would love to hear from other ancient students who refuse to be old and are still clinging to their sense of humour. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davethedavedave)
    I am start manchester this year and from what I have found out is that £115 pw or roughly £500pm, will get you a long way. You might as well rent you own place for that kind of money.
    I have applied for Lambert and Fairfield and Weston Park - all ensuite - all £111 a week for a 40 week contract

The other thing which is swaying me to go private renting is that i dont want to have to move out and find some form of deposit again at the end of june, id like to live somewhere that i can stay for a minimum of 12 months as i hate moving with a passion and there is absolutely NO WAY i could return to my parents house for the summer!

I have been looking at various apartments - a double room with en suite will cost me in the region of 300-350 a month plus approx 80-120 quid a month in bills, so very reasonable id say!

what will you be studying at manchester?

(Original post by Dr.Muffins)
    Hey, try the Grosvenor Place, it a mixed hall with postgrads and undergrads, still ok, I heard. Good location. The best postgrad hall of Manchester University is George Kenyon, but hard to get in. You can ask them to put you in a waiting list.
    I spoke to the accommodation office about George Kenyon and was told that until i was post grad i would not get into that set of halls

On the plus side Lambert and Fairfield is a mix of undergad and post grad so if i do opt for halls it seems the safest option! but as above more likely to go private as it stands at the moment

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for Lambert and Fairfield and Weston Park - all ensuite - all £111 a week for a 40 week contract

The other thing which is swaying me to go private renting is that i dont want to have to move out and find some form of deposit again at the end of june, id like to live somewhere that i can stay for a minimum of 12 months as i hate moving with a passion and there is absolutely NO WAY i could return to my parents house for the summer!

I have been looking at various apartments - a double room with en suite will cost me in the region of 300-350 a month plus approx 80-120 quid a month in bills, so very reasonable id say!

what will you be studying at manchester?
    I am doing Civil Engineering, how about you?

When you say 80 - 120 for bills are you talking about gas / electric / water? or more than that. Also as a full time student you dont have to pay council tax, so what ever you can afford you can rent. I was under the impression I would pay no more than 50 pm for bills, but maybe I am just way off.

I have been doing most of my research on rightmove.co.uk and it seems to be fairly promising. 2 bedroom places seem to cost around the same as 1 bedroom places, so I not sure what I will go with yet.

I know what you mean about the parents thing. I am 25 and certainly dont want to spend the summer with my dad. So a 52 week contract is an absolute must.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davethedavedave)
    I am doing Civil Engineering, how about you?

When you say 80 - 120 for bills are you talking about gas / electric / water? or more than that. Also as a full time student you dont have to pay council tax, so what ever you can afford you can rent. I was under the impression I would pay no more than 50 pm for bills, but maybe I am just way off.

I have been doing most of my research on rightmove.co.uk and it seems to be fairly promising. 2 bedroom places seem to cost around the same as 1 bedroom places, so I not sure what I will go with yet.

I know what you mean about the parents thing. I am 25 and certainly dont want to spend the summer with my dad. So a 52 week contract is an absolute must.
    Im going to be studying Law = currently studying Access in Law and Criminology

I always over budget - and bearing in mind the figures im looking at are on the likes of spareroom.co.uk and easyroommate.co.uk so most people who are on there arent students so their estimation on bills will include council tax too.

are you looking at getting your own place then possibly renting out a 2nd bedroom or moving into a flat/house that someone already lives in? my biggest problem is the deposit....most places want £400 deposit plus first months rent and then letting agent fees of around £100! so im generally going to be looking at £700+ which is alot of money to find unless i look at moving after the 19th sept which is the day my student finance will be paid to me! if worst comes to the worst ill have to go into private halls!

Amy xx

ReputationRep:
    Im going to be studying Law = currently studying Access in Law and Criminology

I always over budget - and bearing in mind the figures im looking at are on the likes of spareroom.co.uk and easyroommate.co.uk so most people who are on there arent students so their estimation on bills will include council tax too.

are you looking at getting your own place then possibly renting out a 2nd bedroom or moving into a flat/house that someone already lives in? my biggest problem is the deposit....most places want £400 deposit plus first months rent and then letting agent fees of around £100! so im generally going to be looking at £700+ which is alot of money to find unless i look at moving after the 19th sept which is the day my student finance will be paid to me! if worst comes to the worst ill have to go into private halls!

Amy xx
    Yeah the deposit is a bit of an issue for me to, but I am going to sell a few things and it should be fine.

my plan is to get my own place with a 2nd bedroom preferably but not sure what I would do with the 2nd room, I guess I would rent it out in the end to help pay the monthly rent. That way I get to live some place nice and and I can cut down on what I pay in rent as well.

I haven't thought about the letting agent fees until now, but you make a good point.

Does it worry you about moving into a house share with people you dont know? I did that a few years ago and everything turned out alright, I just thought that this time I would treat my self to my own space.

As for halls......No way, I am living in some now and the other people are a nightmare. All I want is a good nights sleep but they seem to have other ideas.

Dont know if I mentioned already, but where ever you live you wont have to pay council ta. so you dont need to worry about that.

How did you access course go btw? you got all your credits yet? I have picked up 56 so far. So not far off from meeting the terms of my offer.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.