Turn on thread page Beta

Which university is better... watch

• View Poll Results: Which university is better
    University of British Columbia (Vancover)
    71.43%
    University of Britiah Columbia (Okanagan)
    0%
    University of Waterloo
    0%
    University of Nottingham(Malaysia)
    28.57%

ReputationRep:
    I have applied to a few universities and was thinking which one is best for mechanical engineering. What do you think which one is the best and why do you think? I am currently living in Dubai and donot have any problem to moving to any of the below countries/universities.

Canada
    University of British Coloumbia (Vancover)
    University of British Coloumbia (okanagan)
    University of Waterloo

Malaysia
    University of Nottingham

websites
    ww.ubc.ca
    www.uwaterloo.ca
    www.nottingham.edu.my

ReputationRep:
    Oh lord, honestly check out the course websites, I doubt any of us know about Canada and Malaysia, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    UBC :sogood:

Vancouver is an amazing place and UBC is one of the best universities in Canada. Not sure which is better from Mech Engineering, but when I went to visit UBC the campus was just so amazing

ReputationRep:
    Eenie meenie minie mo should solve this problem.

ReputationRep:
    oh i've been literally tearing google apart for the past 3 hours to look for the answer to this question! i've got an offer from Mcgill - electrical engineering, the last 3 hours have made me realize that electrical eng at mcgill is quite ordinary and U of T and Waterloo are the best for engineering, be it mechanical or electrical

ReputationRep:
    People will have their views about the reputation of the universities. But the course, the course details, the university itself, the accommodation, the atmosphere are but some of the factors you will have to compare youself. It's your education. Universities are different for everybody so you'll have to decide yourself. Also, what's better: Going to a better university, e.g. Cambridge, and a 2:2 or a 3, or going to a lesser known university, e.g. a Polytechnic, and getting a first in the same course? Simple.

N.B. I do not recommend choosing your university based on "which is better". That would be a disaster. Some of the "lesser reputed" universities will appeal to you over the "better unis". I've included some of the main factors in choosing your university, please keep them in mind when choosing them, they are very important.

ReputationRep:
    I applied at magill for mechanical, but they rejected me even before they received my transcript. I email them that they didn't even knew my results/predicted grades, so how can they reject me. But they never accepted their mistake.

UBC, it doesn't have a worldwide reputation and always ranked among the top universities for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    I Got rejected for mechanical too! admission to Mechanical at Mcgill is apparently more competitive than electrical! i applied for mechanical as my first choice and electrical as an alternate. now i don't really know what to do! should i go for electrical at mcgill, what would you guys suggest?? i'm sorry i'm kinda taking over your thread here... but i've got the same problem as you!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't visited any of these places I have applied, just had a good look at their website. But for nottingham I have attended many presentations, their campus looked fine. But I have no idea which one's teaching is the best.

I have a few prioties thpugh:
    High research
    able to get a good job
    teaching should be accpetable or good, I can self study.

And one other thing is that maybe be few of my friends are thinking about applying for nottingham, but they haven't even applied yet(nottingham is still open though so I am hoping they will)

ReputationRep:
    ammarnkhan; personally I havn't got much idea about electrical. I feel that best ones are mechanical and chemical

ReputationRep:
    yeah i know that's why i applied for mechanical as my first choice! and to be honest i quite hate chemistry, so the only choice left was electrical as an alternate!

ReputationRep:
    guys can you see my original post? I needed to edit it a bit but it has totally disappeared. I am new tsr and not a expert at using these threads. Do you know how can I recover it.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.