Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Digital_Love)
    I haven't yet decided which year 2 units I should take but I do hope they bring back 'East Asian Cinema'!
    As someone looking to work in the cinema industry, i was disapointed when i found it wasn't available to me. Apperntly the person who ran it has left, so its unlikely to come back, maybe something similar though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Im_a_cyborg)
    As someone looking to work in the cinema industry, i was disapointed when i found it wasn't available to me. Apperntly the person who ran it has left, so its unlikely to come back, maybe something similar though!
    Which units did you choose instead?
    Looking at the Sheffield website, I'm thinking 'Literature & Society in Contemporary Japan' and 'Understanding Japanese Through Contemporary Texts' would be favourable alternatives for media.

ReputationRep:
    Which units did you choose instead?
    Looking at the Sheffield website, I'm thinking 'Literature & Society in Contemporary Japan' and 'Understanding Japanese Through Contemporary Texts' would be favourable alternatives for media.
    To be honest, ignore what it says on the website, its usually wrong. Literature & Society in Contemporary Japan wasnt there, though there is a literature module in first year. Understanding Japanese Through Contemporary Texts is there though, ive chose it. Next year im doing "evolution of the japanese language", "Understanding Japanese Through Contemporary Japanese texts", Contemporary Japanese society" and "contemporary Chinese Society"
    I wouldnt worry about second year modules yet though. 1st year is less choice but 1st year is mostly language anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Near)
    I think I'll apply early and see how it goes. Did you get rejected and then applied the year after? or did you have a word with them to let you in? Did you do A-levels? I really don't know if a university would accept me for sure as my A-level results are really crap but what I have in my advantage is the B that I achieved in my mother tongue language... I'm not sure if that shows any language ability though :/
    First of all....wayyyy a fellow Welshie!

I applied to the University of Sheffield in July 2009 (took a gap year) with the following qualifications.

A Level: Computing - D
    Business - E
    Law - U
    Foundation Degree at Glamorgan University - 2:1

Got an undconditional offer within 2 weeks

I got a GCSE C grade in Welsh...and even though we're Welsh that apparantly counts as a foreign language, makes sense being that is is our 2nd language after all.

When I arrived here they asked me for proof of my foundation degree, and of my GCSE C grades in Maths and English (which i thought was random)

It sucks balls that there's nowhere in Wales (not even cardiff) that do A level Japanese, but to be honest, you don't need it. The course is taught from scratch and at such a pace that you're well over A level standard by the time your first year is over You seem to be in a similar situation to what I was, any questions don't hesitate to ask

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, ignore what it says on the website, its usually wrong. Literature & Society in Contemporary Japan wasnt there, though there is a literature module in first year. Understanding Japanese Through Contemporary Texts is there though, ive chose it. Next year im doing "evolution of the japanese language", "Understanding Japanese Through Contemporary Japanese texts", Contemporary Japanese society" and "contemporary Chinese Society"
    I wouldnt worry about second year modules yet though. 1st year is less choice but 1st year is mostly language anyway.
    How much reading should you do for the contemporary texts module? I'm not a big book reader so I am a little worried about that! And would you say that certain modules are more work?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kendo_Artist)
    First of all....wayyyy a fellow Welshie!

I applied to the University of Sheffield in July 2009 (took a gap year) with the following qualifications.

A Level: Computing - D
    Business - E
    Law - U
    Foundation Degree at Glamorgan University - 2:1

Got an undconditional offer within 2 weeks

I got a GCSE C grade in Welsh...and even though we're Welsh that apparantly counts as a foreign language, makes sense being that is is our 2nd language after all.

When I arrived here they asked me for proof of my foundation degree, and of my GCSE C grades in Maths and English (which i thought was random)

It sucks balls that there's nowhere in Wales (not even cardiff) that do A level Japanese, but to be honest, you don't need it. The course is taught from scratch and at such a pace that you're well over A level standard by the time your first year is over You seem to be in a similar situation to what I was, any questions don't hesitate to ask
    Hiya, I have a question if you don't mind answering: what books do you use in your first year for language (ab initio) and what books do you have to buy (if any?) for your other modules i.e. history, politics etc.? How much did it all come to, roughly?

Many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuineaPrig)
    Hiya, I have a question if you don't mind answering: what books do you use in your first year for language (ab initio) and what books do you have to buy (if any?) for your other modules i.e. history, politics etc.? How much did it all come to, roughly?

Many thanks!
    I've heard most of the material is supplied in class (work sheets and the like)... HOWEVER I'm not sure which books will be used for the 'extra' modules like literature.

I too have a question, how hard is the work for the 'extra' modules (other than the language learning)? They are the bits of the course that worry me, especially for the 2nd year. A little info please? Love!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuineaPrig)

Many thanks!
    I've heard most of the material is supplied in class (work sheets and the like)... HOWEVER I'm not sure which books will be used for the 'extra' modules like literature.

I too have a question, how hard is the work for the 'extra' modules (other than the language learning)? They are the bits of the course that worry me, especially for the 2nd year. A little info please? Love!
    The only essential books you need for the first year is Basic Kanji Book Vol. 1 and 2. In terms of other modules the library provided all that was nessesary, in the first year anyway.

I'd say the work for the extra modules isnt that much, but it depends what you take. I find myself studying language 90% of the time, and study the extra modules when an exam is coming up or an essay. Not the best method, but i manage to get by. I priotirise language.I feel this is an ok approach to the first year since it is language heavy. Depends on the individual. Saying that, I found myself having to cram 2000 years of japanese history one weekend before the exam, that wasn't fun XD

ReputationRep:
    The only essential books you need for the first year is Basic Kanji Book Vol. 1 and 2. In terms of other modules the library provided all that was nessesary, in the first year anyway.

I'd say the work for the extra modules isnt that much, but it depends what you take. I find myself studying language 90% of the time, and study the extra modules when an exam is coming up or an essay. Not the best method, but i manage to get by. I priotirise language.I feel this is an ok approach to the first year since it is language heavy. Depends on the individual. Saying that, I found myself having to cram 2000 years of japanese history one weekend before the exam, that wasn't fun XD
    Haha omg that sounds extreme! Actually for a minute there I thought you were going to say 2000 kanji!!
    Though I'm sure year 2's extra modules are far more intense that the first year's (little?) 10 point modules!

You must be sooo good at the language part now, do you find yourself picking up loads in Japanese programmes and films? (I think that's the part I would find most rewarding )

ReputationRep:
    Haha omg that sounds extreme! Actually for a minute there I thought you were going to say 2000 kanji!!
    Though I'm sure year 2's extra modules are far more intense that the first year's (little?) 10 point modules!

You must be sooo good at the language part now, do you find yourself picking up loads in Japanese programmes and films? (I think that's the part I would find most rewarding )
    As a major japanese movie/drama buff I too find that most rewarding. However, while i can make out parts and find faults in the subtitles I have quite a way to go before I could watch an entire film, and understand it, without subtitles. If i was given the transcript in Japanese I'd be able to work out a lot more. Listening and speaking kinda remains a step behind reading and writing for most people. But i find having MSN convos with japanese people without using one word of english pretty cool

ReputationRep:
    As a major japanese movie/drama buff I too find that most rewarding. However, while i can make out parts and find faults in the subtitles I have quite a way to go before I could watch an entire film, and understand it, without subtitles. If i was given the transcript in Japanese I'd be able to work out a lot more. Listening and speaking kinda remains a step behind reading and writing for most people. But i find having MSN convos with japanese people without using one word of english pretty cool
    Oh yeah msn with people who speak the language fluently is great!
    I find that even though I've revised hiragana and katakana I'm pretty slow reading it in sentances off the page. Do you think I should enter the course knowing those 2 alphabets back to front?!

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah msn with people who speak the language fluently is great!
    I find that even though I've revised hiragana and katakana I'm pretty slow reading it in sentances off the page. Do you think I should enter the course knowing those 2 alphabets back to front?!
    The better you learn them the better really, but don't worry about not being able to read it smoothy right away, that comes in time, you wont be expected to read it fast, just as long as you can actully read and write them.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've got a question for any current Japanese Studies students. I was just wondering about JLPT and how many people go for it from Sheffield each year? Is there a lot of you who go down to London for it? I know the JLPT dates this year are the start of July and December but is that similar every year and how does it fit in with holidays?
    Also I was thinking of forgetting N2 and going straight for N1 and I'm just wondering if there's anyone here with any experience with N1?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ash S)
    Hi, I've got a question for any current Japanese Studies students. I was just wondering about JLPT and how many people go for it from Sheffield each year? Is there a lot of you who go down to London for it? I know the JLPT dates this year are the start of July and December but is that similar every year and how does it fit in with holidays?
    Also I was thinking of forgetting N2 and going straight for N1 and I'm just wondering if there's anyone here with any experience with N1?
    Thanks!
    I know one girl who had already done JLPT Level 3 before coming here, but I don't know anyone who's actually looking to take it this year, not in my year anyways :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kendo_Artist)
    I know one girl who had already done JLPT Level 3 before coming here, but I don't know anyone who's actually looking to take it this year, not in my year anyways :P
    Oh really? I was hoping there would be lots of people haha. Thanks for replying^^

ReputationRep:
    orz

I've just been offered a place at SOAS after it was discovered I SHOULDN'T have been declined...

What do I do? I like the idea of Sheffield, but what is it in comparison to SOAS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RanmaSyaoran)
    orz

I've just been offered a place at SOAS after it was discovered I SHOULDN'T have been declined...

What do I do? I like the idea of Sheffield, but what is it in comparison to SOAS?
    Weren't you the person who wanted to do Japanese + Music and it was only available at SOAS? Well, what are you waiting for...

ReputationRep:
    orz

If you come SOAS you get to party with me :smug:

But Sheffield is so much cheaper, and the dorms seem huge...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    But Sheffield is so much cheaper, and the dorms seem huge...
    You think? Well compared to London, probably.

When they showed us a "model ensuite room" in Ranmoor, it didn't really seem much bigger than what you'd get elsewhere to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    orz

I got an offer for both SOAS and Sheffield but turned down SOAS in the end to go to Sheffield. Surely there must be one that you prefer? Did you go to their open days? It definitely took me a long time to pick between the two. I preferred the atmosphere and facilities at Sheffield, even though I would have liked to have studied in London - and I didn't feel there was a lot of difference between the unis 'reputation wise'.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 30, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.