The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Anyone Else Starting the Japanese Studies Course in September 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by Clairance
Will you be joining the Japanese society and is there an Anime society at Sheffield?

Both of these sites seem a bit "dusty" for the lack of a better term, but:

Anime society: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=127035797347799

> Thursday:
> Welcome to the N.H.K.

:giggle:

The light novel was way better anyway.

Japanese society: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=4774404035

Reading Uni had one of those. It was three Japanese people who sat in a corner and talked to themselves and two non-Japanese people who sat in a corner... and talked to themselves. So much for cultural/language exchange. One guy was obsessed with Origami and the most exciting thing we did was watch Neko no Ongaeshi.

I really hope pray the one at Sheffield is not like that. Given that Sheffield actually has a functioning Japanese Studies department though, chances are it's worth joining.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by avila
I really hope pray the one at Sheffield is not like that. Given that Sheffield actually has a functioning Japanese Studies department though, chances are it's worth joining.

Can't really say much for the anime society, I stopped going after a few weeks last year.

The Japan Society however: Last year we had weekly socials called 'Tandem' where Japanese students/Coursemates get together for a few hours, we have our own little area reserved in a bar called The Common Room. We also had other socials, such as pool tournaments, days out, Halloween, Christmas and Easter parties.

I'm a member of the new committee for this year, we're also thinking of implementing sports into the society, though I have to wait till our first meeting as the new committee before we can set anything in stone. But any suggestions you guys have would be appreciated :smile: it'll be your society after all
Reply 262
I thought I'd just jump in and say I got my place confirmed to do Japanese and business this year at Sheffield =D

Has anyone got a link for a facebook group or page or some sort of japanese students going sheff this year?
Reply 263
Original post by ozair
I thought I'd just jump in and say I got my place confirmed to do Japanese and business this year at Sheffield =D

Has anyone got a link for a facebook group or page or some sort of japanese students going sheff this year?

:hi:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/163901023664195/
Reply 264
Waaaaaaaaaah, starting to go into panic mode now. I can already envision the first few weeks :'( me all lonely while everyone else gets on brilliantly!!! Not fair!!! I can't take another course like that!! :'(
Reply 265
Original post by Kendo_Artist
Can't really say much for the anime society, I stopped going after a few weeks last year.

The Japan Society however: Last year we had weekly socials called 'Tandem' where Japanese students/Coursemates get together for a few hours, we have our own little area reserved in a bar called The Common Room. We also had other socials, such as pool tournaments, days out, Halloween, Christmas and Easter parties.

I'm a member of the new committee for this year, we're also thinking of implementing sports into the society, though I have to wait till our first meeting as the new committee before we can set anything in stone. But any suggestions you guys have would be appreciated :smile: it'll be your society after all

Badminton! Ping Pong! Ninja Warrior! :biggrin:
Original post by 07734
Waaaaaaaaaah, starting to go into panic mode now. I can already envision the first few weeks :'( me all lonely while everyone else gets on brilliantly!!! Not fair!!! I can't take another course like that!! :'(

Me too :redface:
Reply 267
Original post by GuineaPrig
Me too :redface:

*Clings to GuineaPrig* Don't leave me alooooooooone!!! :'(

I'm getting so panicky that I don't even wanna attend the first classes. I've attended so many courses where everyone seems to know each all ready and are happily chatting while I sit there like a lemon, staring at the wall and wishing I'd picked another class.
Original post by 07734
*Clings to GuineaPrig* Don't leave me alooooooooone!!! :'(

I'm getting so panicky that I don't even wanna attend the first classes. I've attended so many courses where everyone seems to know each all ready and are happily chatting while I sit there like a lemon, staring at the wall and wishing I'd picked another class.

Don't worry, I'll be one of those lemons so at least you won't be the only one. :tongue: I know what you mean about first class nerves... I literally feel sick thinking about it at the moment, but it's also the upheaval from moving from a small country town to a city that's adding to it.

I keep thinking to myself that I'm going there to learn about what I love so I'm trying to focus on that aspect to stop myself from fleeing in terror.
Reply 269
Don't worry, I'll be one of those lemons so at least you won't be the only one. :tongue: I know what you mean about first class nerves... I literally feel sick thinking about it at the moment, but it's also the upheaval from moving from a small country town to a city that's adding to it.

I keep thinking to myself that I'm going there to learn about what I love so I'm trying to focus on that aspect to stop myself from fleeing in terror.

*_* Agreed! We both need to stay positive!

I know I'll be shaking like a leaf over the first two weeks and the week leading up to Fresher :colondollar:
Original post by 07734
*_* Agreed! We both need to stay positive!

I know I'll be shaking like a leaf over the first two weeks and the week leading up to Fresher :colondollar:

Same, but we'll get through it!! Once we've settled in it'll be a doddle I'm sure. :tongue: I'll look for you, fellow socially awkward penguin. :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 271
Same, but we'll get through it!! Once we've settled in it'll be a doddle I'm sure. :tongue: I'll look for you, fellow socially awkward penguin. :biggrin:

Haaaaaaaai! hehe, yey! It doesn't seem so scary now. Thanks Guinea. :biggrin:
Original post by Susant
Badminton! Ping Pong! Ninja Warrior! :biggrin:

As much as I would LOVE a ninja warrior obstacle course......not sure we'd get planning permission :P as for ping pong, there's a table in the area we have reserved for weekly tandems :P
Reply 274
Original post by 07734

Heyyy don't worry! I feel exactly the same, i'm so nervous. I've also experienced being the loner of the class >_> I think there's loads of people feeling the exact same way, and our class sounds so super friendly I don't think anyone will be left out :smile:
Reply 275
Yey! I've got my accom offer. I've got Broad lane. Not what I 100% wanted buuuuuuuuuuuut I'm happy.
Reply 276
Original post by 07734
I can already envision the first few weeks :'( me all lonely while everyone else gets on brilliantly!!!

I already claimed that post after my little stunt on Failbook yesterday. :tongue:
You'll be fine.
Reply 277
Original post by avila
I already claimed that post after my little stunt on Failbook yesterday. :tongue:
You'll be fine.

While I think that people jumped on you too much, I do resent this 'Failbook' business and find it rather childish.

That's all I have to say on the matter, hopefully we can move on now. :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 278
Failbook?

Edit:

Oh, I see what you mean. I borrowed my sister's account. :frown: Why were they so mean? Avila did nothing wrong.

Eurgh, I feel sick thinking about starting this course. I wish I could meet up with everyone sooner or at least talk more with others starting the course. :frown: Anyone wanna chat by email or msn or skype (once I get it working again on lappy)?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 279
Why feel sick? It'll be fun and there's the prospect of going to Japan and speaking... Japanese. D: Speaking to the Japanese in Japanese!!! D: D: D:

But yeah, we should all get together on Skype or MSN at some point. That should kill off any and all anxiety. Feel free to PM for contact details, etc. :>

In unrelated news: Kana packs or whatever it is they send you before you start the course -- anyone got theirs yet?
I don't mean the general uni registration pack btw.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply