Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the fact is people who tried hard didnt fail, rather those who lacked motivation to study or just didnt study.. There is a definite correlation between how many times attended/ missed classes and whether you pass.

ReputationRep:
    ANYWAY...

Year abroad process is really exciting and you get to stay in Japan for like 11 months minimum =p

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I just graduated and so I'm not doing that course. Goodluck xxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vongustedt)
    Yes, the fact is people who tried hard didnt fail, rather those who lacked motivation to study or just didnt study.. There is a definite correlation between how many times attended/ missed classes and whether you pass.

That should be a given. For a language class, if you don't attend and don't practice, you will fail. Re-read your initial post though; you made it sound as if everyone who was a mature student failed. :/

ReputationRep:
    No not at all, didnt mean to put that across sorry=(. One of my mates on the course does very well, infact him and his girlfriend (who is a mature student) have been assigned to Kyoto for their year abroad assingment and she got a scholarship aswell.

I just think because people who come straight from 6th form and so forth are more used to the rigours of the education/ learning system.

You'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't even bother worrying about drop out rates. The people who drop out are the people who don't come to class and don't put any effort in to study. Frankly I'd be more worried and shocked if these people were able to pass - it wouldn't say much about standards would it?

I think the reason that mature students might struggle (along with people who didn't do A-Levels) is that they're out of the habit of studying. You certainly don't have to work any harder than for A-Levels (it was less IMO) but you do still need to work, which might be hard if you haven't done any for a few years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommles)
    I wouldn't even bother worrying about drop out rates. The people who drop out are the people who don't come to class and don't put any effort in to study. Frankly I'd be more worried and shocked if these people were able to pass - it wouldn't say much about standards would it?

I think the reason that mature students might struggle (along with people who didn't do A-Levels) is that they're out of the habit of studying. You certainly don't have to work any harder than for A-Levels (it was less IMO) but you do still need to work, which might be hard if you haven't done any for a few years.
    EXACTLY! Not less work than A-Levels at all I'd say, I did little work and still got 3 A's and 2's at A-Level. Second year is more work than 1st though.

ReputationRep:
    No not at all, didnt mean to put that across sorry=(. One of my mates on the course does very well, infact him and his girlfriend (who is a mature student) have been assigned to Kyoto for their year abroad assingment and she got a scholarship aswell.

I just think because people who come straight from 6th form and so forth are more used to the rigours of the education/ learning system.

You'll be fine!
    Are scholarships allocated randomly or on a competitive basis? My boyfriend at Leeds said they're allocated randomly over there but not sure how Sheffield decides?

ReputationRep:
    You have to average over 60% in your first year for starters. But you just apply and they decide from a variety of factors, like financial situation academic record and so forth how worthy and/ or needy you are of one. SOme of the scholarships... HOLY ****, JASSO is almost 700 a month =O.

So aslong as you get over 60% you have a fighting chance, though they did say scholarships were going to those from east asian countries more and more and less to us from the 'west'.

ReputationRep:
    EXACTLY! Not less work than A-Levels at all I'd say, I did little work and still got 3 A's and 2's at A-Level. Second year is more work than 1st though.
    Maybe it was because I didn't really enjoy my A-Level subjects and I love Japanese <- I reckon that is why it felt easier.

I reckon 2nd year will be really difficult, that's what I've heard anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I just realized universities receive A-Level results today. Doesn't affect me, but still, best of luck to those whose entry into the course depends on their results.

ReputationRep:
    Someone mentioned the doctor on here. I read something about applying but can't find the link now.

Edit:

Also, GOOD LUCK A-LEVEL STUDENTS!!! I hope you all get the grades you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kendo_Artist)
    First i'll answer the question about the very first lesson...

If i remember, we learned how to introduce eachother, like hajimema****e etc etc, and then we did times/dates etc...it's kinda fuzzy though

Anything you wanna ask me on skype i'm available - Stevekun1986, feel free to add me
    Skype still not working but I'll add you on big lappy when I get home. 8th or 9th September Hope that is okay.

ReputationRep:
    Just set my browser's homepage to this. u_u

It's under a month now. The suspense is killing me. :V

(Original post by avila)
    Tue 20th Sep
    Film Unit presents: The Social Network

Oh the hilarity...
    That made me :lol:

You have to average over 60% in your first year for starters. But you just apply and they decide from a variety of factors, like financial situation academic record and so forth how worthy and/ or needy you are of one. SOme of the scholarships... HOLY ****, JASSO is almost 700 a month =O.

So aslong as you get over 60% you have a fighting chance, though they did say scholarships were going to those from east asian countries more and more and less to us from the 'west'.
    As in 'from' an Asian country, or 'studying' in an Asian country?

HA, checked Track and saw the word 'accepted' and was about to do backflips when I realised it was accepted as in 'You've accepted an offer' rather than 'You've been accepted into x course'

ReputationRep:
    The magic word you need to be looking for is "Congratulations"

More specifically, "Congratulations! Your place at The University of Sheffield (S18) to study Japanese Studies (T210) has been confirmed." :V

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, our A level results got sent to the unis offices yesterday

ReputationRep:
    What is this registration pack and why don't I have it yet... T-T

ReputationRep:
    Someone on Fagb- Facebook said it gets sent out at the end of August.

As for the contents of it... it's a mystery. D:

ReputationRep:
    It's just a booklet with a timetable in it for the registration period and various forms that need filling in and sending off like the form for your university card etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.