Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avila)
    I do wonder why they came up with 英 representing English. I'd assume it already meant brilliant before that. Too bad there's no module that teaches the origin of kanji, how they evolved, etc. I could actually imagine that being kind of fun. :O
    Wow that actually sounds like a great module! I'd love to take that

ReputationRep:
    I think there's a 2nd year module called Evolution of the Japanese Written Language or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GuineaPrig)
    I think there's a 2nd year module called Evolution of the Japanese Written Language or something like that.
    THE evil module this be, you learn Classical Japanese in this module....I'm looking forward to it and dreading the hell out of it at the same time because of what i've heard about it.....on the plus side....no exam!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kendo_Artist)
    THE evil module this be, you learn Classical Japanese in this module....I'm looking forward to it and dreading the hell out of it at the same time because of what i've heard about it.....on the plus side....no exam!
    No exam modules are the best modules. That particular module assesses you on "Annotated Translations" - classical Japanese to whatever I guess.

There is also EAS139 -- "The Languages and Writing Systems of East Asia", lectured by the same person. Is it any good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avila)
    No exam modules are the best modules. That particular module assesses you on "Annotated Translations" - classical Japanese to whatever I guess.

There is also EAS139 -- "The Languages and Writing Systems of East Asia", lectured by the same person. Is it any good?
    yeah the annotated translations are apparantly the evil part. It's an extremely interesting module, however those translations were the subject of many a frustrated status update from now 3rd years.

Languages and Writing Systems is a module I wish I'd taken, I chose Environment and Society because I did some volunteering for an environmental organisation in Japan last year, and I'll admit it was also because I'd heard about it's amazing ease to pass. But if you're looking for an interesting module in the 2nd semester, I'd go with Languages and Writing Systems.

ReputationRep:
    I did neither, I did Korean History, which was a lot better than Japanese History in terms of how it was taught etc. Quite interesting too. I needed a break form Japan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avila)
    I do wonder why they came up with 英 representing English. I'd assume it already meant brilliant before that. Too bad there's no module that teaches the origin of kanji, how they evolved, etc. I could actually imagine that being kind of fun. :O
    It was chosen (in China) for its pronunciation in Chinese (ying1), which is what sounded closest to the "Eng" of "England". This character was then imported and used by the Japanese to write their version of our country's name (英吉利, イギリス), which today we just use the katakana for.

While it was chosen for its pronunciation, whether the Chinese chose this character over other characters with the same pronunciation (which I assume exist) because of its meaning is (I believe) unknown.

ReputationRep:
    Module choices! Who's picking what and who even understands it?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kortnie)
    Can you log in to it? It rejects me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kortnie)
    EAS137 Japanese Politics 10 AUTUMN 11
    MLT105AH German 1A 10 AUTUMN 11
    EAS133 Chinese Economic Development 10 SPRING 11
    EAS168 Chinese Culture and Society 10 SPRING 11

(Original post by avila)
    Can you log in to it? It rejects me.
    It's not your ucas number, if that is what you are trying to log in with. You need to activate the link at the bottom of the e-mail. It should say, "If you have already accessed another University system in advance of
    arriving, please logon to Online Module Selection using the username and
    password which you have been allocated.

If you do not already have a University username and password, you need to
    obtain these before you can logon to Online Module Selection. You do this
    by activating your account at the following webpagethere is a unique link here)"

My link showed my name and ucas number and then it gave me my username and password.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 07734)
    I know and did all that. They later told me it's because they haven't verified my qualifications yet. :rolleyes:

They only told me that I shouldn't bother sending them in via post and it'd be fine to show the originals during registration. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And of course they "never received" my e-mail with scanned copies. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So much for Deutsche Gründlichkeit vs. UK Bureaucracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avila)
    I know and did all that. They later told me it's because they haven't verified my qualifications yet. :rolleyes:

They only told me that I shouldn't bother sending them in via post and it'd be fine to show the originals during registration. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And of course they "never received" my e-mail with scanned copies. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So much for Deutsche Gründlichkeit vs. UK Bureaucracy.
    Gomen, gomen

Soooooooo annoying for you though At least it's not like you won't be able to pick some courses because they are full or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 07734)
    Gomen, gomen

Soooooooo annoying for you though At least it's not like you won't be able to pick some courses because they are full or something.
    No need to apologize D:
    I just felt like ranting; I'll put it on my blog next time.

All I have to do is email my module selections to someone directly. I'll take care about the verification stuff next Monday during the Orientation Programme.

ReputationRep:
    Welcome letter arrived.

TLDR: Must know kana. Writing test is directly after the welcome meeting.

ReputationRep:
    :'( I'm back in the U.K now *cries* and have FINALLY seen the mountain of uni letters that had accumulated in my room. XD The kana practice sheets are all colourful, ooooooooooh. Anyone got the books though? I'm so broke that I can't afford them and I'm looking in my local library now.

ReputationRep:
    The Oxford ones? I have Modern Japan: A Very Short Introduction as a PDF. Same for Modern China: A Very Short Introduction. If anyone wants either, let me know.

Their recommended short story book is almost 500 pages long, so screw reading that. Breaking into Japanese Literature is much better anyway since it has the stories in Japanese with vocabulary boxes on every left page, and then an English translation on every right page.

Or did you mean like Basic Kanji Book or the Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary? Those really are super expensive. I got them in a second hand book shop.

I have Basic Kanji Book 1 which i got for £18 but that's it.

As the for dictionary, this one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kodansha-Kan...5469055&sr=8-1

Does't seem that expensive...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Susant)
    I have Basic Kanji Book 1 which i got for £18 but that's it.

As the for dictionary, this one? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kodansha-Kan...055&sr=8-1

Does't seem that expensive...
    NO WAY! I brought that like three years ago from a 2nd hand book shop on a whim. I just found it in my attic LUCKY!!!

(Original post by avila)
    The Oxford ones? I have Modern Japan: A Very Short Introduction as a PDF. Same for Modern China: A Very Short Introduction. If anyone wants either, let me know.

Their recommended short story book is almost 500 pages long, so screw reading that. Breaking into Japanese Literature is much better anyway since it has the stories in Japanese with vocabulary boxes on every left page, and then an English translation on every right page.

Or did you mean like Basic Kanji Book or the Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary? Those really are super expensive. I got them in a second hand book shop.
    I got the Modern Japan one now, thanks though . The other one is around a £10 (with post) and I'm dirt broke so I won't get it yet. I'm not doing lit anyway as I hate reading long books that teach me nothing I find interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, the dictionary became way cheaper after a year. o_o

I never found it all that useful though. I mean, if you're faced with, say

Which is more convenient?

- www.jisho.org + copy/paste
    - Looking it up using some weird system of breaking down kanji

Basic Kanji Book, on the other hand, is actually pretty neat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avila)
    Wow, the dictionary became way cheaper after a year. o_o

I never found it all that useful though. I mean, if you're faced with, say

Which is more convenient?

- www.jisho.org + copy/paste
    - Looking it up using some weird system of breaking down kanji

Basic Kanji Book, on the other hand, is actually pretty neat.
    I use something called the SKIP code. That kanji has the code 2-3-15 so I just look that up in a dictionary. This is how you use it http://www.basic-japanese.com/Hilfsdateien/skipCode.html
    May seem complicated at first but when you get used to it it is really easy.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.