Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So where is SEAS now?

The lovely Arts Tower is nearly ready to re-open, but the Orientation Week tour guide insisted that the department will remain in Shearwood Road forever. :confused:

Also hi from Sheffield. Sure is an awesome city.
    And Internet access now works n_n

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avila)
    So where is SEAS now?

The lovely Arts Tower is nearly ready to re-open, but the Orientation Week tour guide insisted that the department will remain in Shearwood Road forever. :confused:

Also hi from Sheffield. Sure is an awesome city.
    And Internet access now works n_n
    Yeah, I noticed that nearly ALL the modules were in Shearwood or other places. Only the Korean language modules seemed to be in the Arts Tower

Hi from North Wales!! Be there in Sheffield with you soon!

Edit:

EAS137 Japanese Politics LECSEM Wednesday 15:00 17:00 6 AT-LT09 Arts Tower Dobson,Hugo

I want this one in my timetable!!!

Look at the rest

EAS137 Japanese Politics LECT Monday 12:00 13:00 1-12 PS-LT G30 Psychology Building Dobson,Hugo
    EAS137 Japanese Politics LECSEM Wednesday 15:00 17:00 6 AT-LT09 Arts Tower Dobson,Hugo
    EAS137 Japanese Politics SEMINAR Thursday 10:00 11:00 1-12 SR-A06 Shearwood Road Dobson,Hugo
    EAS137 Japanese Politics SEMINAR Thursday 11:00 12:00 1-12 SR-A06 Shearwood Road Dobson,Hugo
    EAS137 Japanese Politics SEMINAR Thursday 12:00 13:00 1-12 SR-A06 Shearwood Road Dobson,Hugo
    EAS137 Japanese Politics SEMINAR Thursday 13:00 14:00 1-12 SR-A06 Shearwood Road Dobson,Hugo

Edit, edit

Google maps officially recognises this as The School of East Asian Studies-

School Of East Asian Studies‎
    Shearwood Road
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire S10 2TD
    0114 222 8400

:'( Where is my nice shiny Art's Tower?! They promised that it would be ready by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 07734)
    Yeah, I noticed that nearly ALL the modules were in Shearwood or other places. Only the Korean language modules seemed to be in the Arts Tower

Hi from North Wales!! Be there in Sheffield with you soon!

Edit:

I want this one in my timetable!!!

Look at the rest

EAS137 Japanese Politics LECT Monday 12:00 13:00 1-12 PS-LT G30 Psychology Building Dobson,Hugo
    EAS137 Japanese Politics SEMINAR Thursday 10:00 11:00 1-12 SR-A06 Shearwood Road Dobson,Hugo
    EAS137 Japanese Politics SEMINAR Thursday 11:00 12:00 1-12 SR-A06 Shearwood Road Dobson,Hugo
    EAS137 Japanese Politics SEMINAR Thursday 12:00 13:00 1-12 SR-A06 Shearwood Road Dobson,Hugo
    EAS137 Japanese Politics SEMINAR Thursday 13:00 14:00 1-12 SR-A06 Shearwood Road Dobson,Hugo

Edit, edit

Google maps officially recognises this as The School of East Asian Studies-

School Of East Asian Studies‎
    Shearwood Road
    Sheffield, South Yorkshire S10 2TD
    0114 222 8400

:'( Where is my nice shiny Art's Tower?! They promised that it would be ready by now.
    I'm from South Wales haha. got a lot further to travel than you. Roughly 200 miles to get to Sheffield uni from where I live.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryuzaki21)
    I'm from South Wales haha. got a lot further to travel than you. Roughly 200 miles to get to Sheffield uni from where I live.
    I'm from Devon, travelling to the Open Day last week was a *****, and if I get in then I'll have plenty more such journeys to look forward to D:

ReputationRep:
    The lecture theatres in the Arts Tower were open last year - I had lectures there. Those are in the basement of the Arts Tower though. I've heard that the upper floors might just be used for admin. I don't think SEAS is moving back there, although I haven't heard that that is definite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZombieYoshi)
    I'm from Devon, travelling to the Open Day last week was a *****, and if I get in then I'll have plenty more such journeys to look forward to D:
    Haha yeah travelling isn't t exactly easy for us then. On the open day I went by Megabus which was quite cheap and it took me 6 hours. I can't go by Megabus now because I'm taking so much luggage. How did you get there on open day?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommles)
    The lecture theatres in the Arts Tower were open last year - I had lectures there. Those are in the basement of the Arts Tower though. I've heard that the upper floors might just be used for admin. I don't think SEAS is moving back there, although I haven't heard that that is definite.
    :'( On the Open Day we were told the tower would be ready for classes by September :'(

Oh well! At least we have somewhere for classes.

ReputationRep:
    Haha yeah travelling isn't t exactly easy for us then. On the open day I went by Megabus which was quite cheap and it took me 6 hours. I can't go by Megabus now because I'm taking so much luggage. How did you get there on open day?
    My mum and step-dad took a day off work and we went by car, which is lucky because when I looked at Megabus it said it would be 9 hours there and went to Leeds, so I'd have to find a way to Sheffield from there. I'd also have had to stay up there over 3 days so I'd actually be able to go to the Open Day in time.
    Not sure if I can get a lift each time if I do get in though... but I suppose I'll have to worry about that when it comes to it.

ReputationRep:
    My mum and step-dad took a day off work and we went by car, which is lucky because when I looked at Megabus it said it would be 9 hours there and went to Leeds, so I'd have to find a way to Sheffield from there. I'd also have had to stay up there over 3 days so I'd actually be able to go to the Open Day in time.
    Not sure if I can get a lift each time if I do get in though... but I suppose I'll have to worry about that when it comes to it.
    9 hours!! thats a long time for a journey by car. did you get lost or something? I'm going to need to borrow a friends sat nav to get over there. I'm not taking any chances.

ReputationRep:
    9 hours!! thats a long time for a journey by car. did you get lost or something? I'm going to need to borrow a friends sat nav to get over there. I'm not taking any chances.
    Oh no, 9 hours was if I went by Megabus. By car it was about 5 hours. But still, waking up and leaving at 6am and getting home at 9pm is a *****. I slept most of the way there, but the way back was horrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 07734)
    :'( On the Open Day we were told the tower would be ready for classes by September :'(

Oh well! At least we have somewhere for classes.
    It is, they say it will be open this month and complete in December but the classrooms (particularly the higher floors) belong to the architecture department.
    The building next door is where all the magic happens. Western Bank library is epic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Im_a_cyborg)
    It is, they say it will be open this month and complete in December but the classrooms (particularly the higher floors) belong to the architecture department.
    The building next door is where all the magic happens. Western Bank library is epic.
    I've seen the list of books in Western Library on Muse *_* and you are right. Ten gems ALREADY I that I MUST borrow when I get my UCARD!

Does that mean that the timetables haven't been updated yet? Nearly all the classes on the timetable seem to be in Shearwood or the Hicks Building.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, 9 hours was if I went by Megabus. By car it was about 5 hours. But still, waking up and leaving at 6am and getting home at 9pm is a *****. I slept most of the way there, but the way back was horrible.
    My bad, I read your reply wrong haha. still 5 hours is a while. When do you find out whether you got in or not?

ReputationRep:
    My bad, I read your reply wrong haha. still 5 hours is a while. When do you find out whether you got in or not?
    I'm still yet to apply (just started Year 13), but my UCAS predicted grades are AAA, so I'm hopeful I'll get an offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 07734)
    Does that mean that the timetables haven't been updated yet? Nearly all the classes on the timetable seem to be in Shearwood or the Hicks Building.
    No sounds about right to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Im_a_cyborg)
    No sounds about right to be honest.
    Only a 8 and 15 minute walk from BLC to both so hooray! I was worried that the classes would be super far away. I want to see that library! I walked passed it on the Open day *_* but was too chicken to walk inside. The book collection looks amazing *_*

(Original post by 07734)
    Only a 8 and 15 minute walk from BLC to both so hooray! I was worried that the classes would be super far away. I want to see that library! I walked passed it on the Open day *_* but was too chicken to walk inside. The book collection looks amazing *_*
    I went in there to use the toilet :teehee:

Wanted to take a better look, but there were students looking at me as if I was fresh meat, so got the foo outta there.

ReputationRep:
    You get a tour of it and its East Asia collection during freshers week XD

ReputationRep:
    If there's anybody in this thread who's already doing the course, would they be able to give some detail on how difficult they found learning the Kanji and how much they had to learn per week and such?

I'm applying for both Korean and Japanese next month and keep flipping between the two and had lately been leaning towards Korean, and I think a big factor in that is how often I hear about how hard the Japanese course is and its high drop-out rate, and it is the prospect of Kanji that is worrying me quite a bit as well (and is also one reason I'm not thinking too much about Chinese as that's ALL Chinese characters of course). Although I'm thinking that if I get to work learning Kanji from when I (hopefully) get an offer to when I (hopefully) start the course, then it might make things easier for me. I've taught myself a bit of Japanese so I already know Kana and some grammar and vocabulary, but when it comes to Kanji I just lose motivation (although I think I'm just yet to find a good method for learning it, or maybe the fact I'm self-teaching and not actually required to learn it for a class so I'm able to just leave it might also be a reason).
    However, after the Open Day and some more looking around I've been slowly coming to the conclusion that even the University doesn't care about Korean as the guy at the Open Day regularly neglected to mention it and was instead all about Chinese and Japanese, and they also don't even have a paragraph about the country on the course page on the website like with Chinese and Japanese, it just seems they're only offering it to round up their East Asian department. There's also the fact that the media and just things in general are all about China and Japan with little care or mention for Korea. So I think I may just have to man up and go for Japanese despite the apparent high difficulty of it, although my particularly anti-social nature may mean I can just happily lock myself in my room and spend all my time working :P

Well that was more long-winded than I'd hoped it would end up.

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving up to Sheffield tomorrow - excited but dreading it at the same time. I hope it all goes smoothly and I don't want to just drop my bags and run home again. I get homesick very easily...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.