Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by GuineaPrig)
    I really wanna but like I said I don't want to inflict everyone with my 2 dogs and 2 guinea pigs as it wouldn't be fair, plus it'd be harder for all of you to find a house. My parents can't look after them so I have no choice in the matter (unless I rehome them which is out of the question), so I'll do you all a favour and not push you on this. Would've been great though. Don't leave me out at class!

Fffffuuuuu- I love animals, but my parents are really stern and don't like pets.

I'd probably end up playing so much with them you'll get annoyed with me :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Susant)
    Fffffuuuuu- I love animals, but my parents are really stern and don't like pets.

I'd probably end up playing so much with them you'll get annoyed with me :teehee:

Sorry for not being very talkative at the moment guys. Studying is sucking my can-be-arsed'ness dry.
    Haha, I doubt it, they run circles around me every day so a willing volunteer to tire them out is welcome

07734 - excellent, another person that wants to go to Hokkaidou... I didn't know they had a link with a uni there, that's great news:ahee:.

I don't know whether you get to choose which uni you get to go to though, or if it depends on your 1st year results or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether you get to choose which uni you get to go to though, or if it depends on your 1st year results or whatever.
    From all my recon and digging around, it seems that first year results do decide this or at least influence it. It was mentioned somewhere in the long 2010 Japanese Studies thread in this forum if I recall correctly, and posted by someone who later got banned for something else (username may have been gaijin).

You don't get to choose the uni you go to. You do get to influence the decision by specifying a general area/area to avoid and what friends to go with (source).

Isn't it really cold in Hokkaido? Text book I used this year kept mentioning it in relation with yukimatsuri.

Edit:
    dig dig dig
    http://www.hokudai.ac.jp/en/relation...titutions.html

The University of Sheffield October 5th, 2010 *
    * Universities Concluding Student Exchange Memorandums

Edit2: Blacklisted as they treat foreign staff like piss. Don't let it bother you too much though; the blacklist is not relevant to students.
    Edit3: Also Greenlisted. Japan, you such are a mystery.
    Edit4: Disregard the above two edits; Debito is an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avila)
    From all my recon and digging around, it seems that first year results do decide this or at least influence it. It was mentioned somewhere in the long 2010 Japanese Studies thread in this forum if I recall correctly, and posted by someone who later got banned for something else (username may have been gaijin).

You don't get to choose the uni you go to. You do get to influence the decision by specifying a general area/area to avoid and what friends to go with (source).

Isn't it really cold in Hokkaido? Text book I used this year kept mentioning it in relation with yukimatsuri.
    Yeah, that's one of the reasons I wanna go; the cold and the snow! When I went to Tokyo it was unbelievably hot and I'm one of those people who can't function properly if I'm... melting.

I'll be happy wherever I get sent, would be nice to go to Osaka instead of Tokyo though, I heard they're all really laid back there.

edit: ahmagad, thanks for the link avila, my dreams may come true:ahee:

On the open day, one of the students mentioned that first year results carry some weight when the department decides who to send where. There's also factors like strategic placement for students who have a good chance of getting a scholarship as they only give them to one from each university.

I'm not quite sure where I want to do. Maybe Waseda in Tokyo. I suppose it's kind of premature to be thinking about this :lol:

My strategy for first year is to just get as many % points close to a first as I can Although I wonder if they take into account solely the Japanese side of my degree, or both Japanese and History marks.

ReputationRep:
    On the open day, one of the students mentioned that first year results carry some weight when the department decides who to send where. There's also factors like strategic placement for students who have a good chance of getting a scholarship as they only give them to one from each university.

I'm not quite sure where I want to do. Maybe Waseda in Tokyo. I suppose it's kind of premature to be thinking about this :lol:

My strategy for first year is to just get as many % points close to a first as I can Although I wonder if they take into account solely the Japanese side of my degree, or both Japanese and History marks.

Yeah, I remember Hugo Dobson saying that they usually pair a weaker student with a stronger one.

I can't function in the heat so I NEED somewhere cold XD

ReputationRep:
    Regarding the Year Abroad (as a I said before I'm in 1st year but I've talked to 2nd years about it) from what I've heard:

I believe that you can request to be inside or outside Tokyo, and besides that maybe 'suggest' where you'd like to go although they may or may not take that into consideration.

In order to be considered for a scholarship you need at least a 2:1 (I think that is just on the Japanese side of the course, not Spanish or History if you are doing a joint degree), the Japanese university decides who gets one, so I don't think getting one is guaranteed.

You also need to have ~£9,000 in your bank account to prove to the Japanese govt that you have enough money to support yourself (it's a visa requirement). That fact is on the SEAS website, but I know a lot of people hadn't seen it and were shocked when they found out halfway into term, so I'm telling you now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommles)
    You also need to have ~£9,000 in your bank account to prove to the Japanese govt that you have enough money to support yourself (it's a visa requirement). That fact is on the SEAS website, but I know a lot of people hadn't seen it and were shocked when they found out halfway into term, so I'm telling you now.
    Yep, I tried to get a working holiday visa and ran across the same problem. We should all be fine as long as we use our money wisely and try to save whenever we can.

How are you coping with this? Have much have you managed to save for the 3rd year so far?

ReputationRep:
    Surely it's also okay if your parents and/or employer can fund you? :\

At least at Yamasa language school in Okazaki, for visa purposes it was fine if your parents/employer signed a declaration (and proved) that they had access to sufficient funds to support you.

I'm currently trying to convince a company I've been translating things for to adopt me as an employee. Freelance work is too much of a gamble. If it works out, part of the deal is that they would become my financial guarantor for the year abroad. :x

Well, during the open day (I seem to be saying that a lot) the students there said that they'd devised a plan where they pooled their money together and transferred it between each others accounts because all you need is a bank statement that says you have £9000 pounds in your account.

Some of the parents there seemed quite horrified that they did such a thing :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 07734)
    Yep, I tried to get a working holiday visa and ran across the same problem. We should all be fine as long as we use our money wisely and try to save whenever we can.

How are you coping with this? Have much have you managed to save for the 3rd year so far?
    Well I believe some people in the 2nd year just have their parents transfer them the money so that they can get a bank statement, and then transfer it back. Other people have said they've transferred money between each others accounts to make up the total. I'm not sure that many people save any money at all, even though that'd be the wise thing to do. My saving is coming along well though, not drinking coffee helps a lot with that (the union isn't cheap)

(Original post by avila)
    Surely it's also okay if your parents and/or employer can fund you? :\

At least at Yamasa language school in Okazaki, for visa purposes it was fine if your parents/employer signed a declaration (and proved) that they had access to sufficient funds to support you.

I'm currently trying to convince a company I've been translating things for to adopt me as an employee. Freelance work is too much of a gamble. If it works out, part of the deal is that they would become my financial guarantor for the year abroad. :x
    Well as far as I know you have to produce a bank statement showing that you have the £9,000 in your account - or your parents' account and have a declaration saying they will support you. I don't know about being an employee, as I imagine that is a pretty unusual case (at Sheffield) for getting a student visa. You probably know more about it than me.

It's not something to get worried about though, just be aware of it now.

ReputationRep:
    Well, during the open day (I seem to be saying that a lot) the students there said that they'd devised a plan where they pooled their money together and transferred it between each others accounts because all you need is a bank statement that says you have £9000 pounds in your account.

Some of the parents there seemed quite horrified that they did such a thing :teehee:
    You heard that too XD. I love how Hugo said that with suuuuuuuuuch confidence XD and all the parent's faces were like O_O. He said we only needed ONE bank statement XD with the amount on and then it didn't matter. Pretty much we only need to have the money in our account for like a week so that we get the statement and then pass it on.

ReputationRep:
    Is it really £9000?! My boyfriend (who's at Leeds doing Japanese) said they only asked for £1000. Besides the students arranging to move funds between accounts, there must be some university scheme that will help out impoverished people... I mean, if you're an 18 year old school leaver from, say, a council estate then surely they can't expect them to have £9000...

ReputationRep:
    Is it really £9000?! My boyfriend (who's at Leeds doing Japanese) said they only asked for £1000. Besides the students arranging to move funds between accounts, there must be some university scheme that will help out impoverished people... I mean, if you're an 18 year old school leaver from, say, a council estate then surely they can't expect them to have £9000...
    We've been told it's £6,000 to £10,000 (I think it might vary between universities). (I keep hearing £9,000 though, which is why I said that).

Well you have your maintenance grant alongside your loan and there is also the university bursary you get. But there isn't anything special for the year abroad, although you only have to pay half the tuition fees that year. After that I guess you need a job. People have said that it should be made more clear to prospective students as the cost can be a problem for some people - unfortunately Japan is one of the most expensive countries in the world, and the exchange rate is terrible, so Japanese isn't a cheap degree!

ReputationRep:
    TLDR: Yes the fees are that high. Japanese government mandates it.

"If you are planning to study for 6 months then you need to show proof that you have at least the equivalent of 1,000,000 Japanese Yen. For 12 months this total is 2,000,000 Japanese Yen."

I think this is the requirement from the Japanese government. What I'm quoting is from the student visa application form from Yamasa, which is based on some more official template from the looks of it. That being said, I wonder what student visa they give you at Sheffield then.

¥1,000,000 = £7,500
    ¥2,000,000 = £15,000

From the looks of it, it's the six-month one. I'm going to dig around some more. The Japanese embassy website might have more details on the exact financial requirements.

And as for Japan being expensive... hell fücking yes. @[email protected] With living expenses and accommodation and money for ..um.. living, Yamasa would've cost over £45,000 for ONE year. Once I realized that, I politely withdrew my application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommles)
    We've been told it's £6,000 to £10,000 (I think it might vary between universities). (I keep hearing £9,000 though, which is why I said that).

Well you have your maintenance grant alongside your loan and there is also the university bursary you get. But there isn't anything special for the year abroad, although you only have to pay half the tuition fees that year. After that I guess you need a job. People have said that it should be made more clear to prospective students as the cost can be a problem for some people - unfortunately Japan is one of the most expensive countries in the world, and the exchange rate is terrible, so Japanese isn't a cheap degree!
    I wonder how my boyfriend got let into the country with only £1000, it's all very bizarre. :confused:

When we get our maintenance loan/grant etc., it isn't all paid in at once, is it? I know you get an elevated loan of like £5500 for the year abroad so it could go a long way to helping but I don't think you could actually have it all in your account at once before you go.

Guess I'll have to start saving, work my arse off for a 1st in the first year and pray for a scholarship!

ReputationRep:
    asdf

So I looked and looked around the embassy website. There are no fixed fees, it seems. It totally depends on the place you'll be studying at. On the actual form, it's just a field you fill in.

Lesson learned: Yamasa = liars. Government-mandated fees my ass.
    *feels stupid*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avila)
    asdf

So I looked and looked around the embassy website. There are no fixed fees, it seems. It totally depends on the place you'll be studying at. On the actual form, it's just a field you fill in.

Lesson learned: Yamasa = liars. Government-mandated fees my ass.
    *feels stupid*
    Thanks for all your hard work digging around for info. Fingers crossed wherever I get sent to it won't be too harsh, then.

That Gumtree site seems useful and I was (very) bored, so I had a quick look. Kinda early considering we aren't completely decided yet (parents might need convinving on my end), but this one caught my interest:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-house...entre/79081658

Description looks pretty good. Starting date is perfect if we need to hold. Could do with pictures though, and the address to see where near the city center it is, might need to request them.

edit: Oops, forgot to calculate prices. For a 42 week rent, only the person with the smaller room makes a large saving. The others save just under £700 if we go by the cheapest uni accomodation :dontknow:
    Porbably better to wait. Ooooo, I see one that's close to the arts tower. Rent starts in mid July though.

ReputationRep:
    That Gumtree site seems useful and I was (very) bored, so I had a quick look. Kinda early considering we aren't completely decided yet (parents might need convinving on my end), but this one caught my interest:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/flats-house...entre/79081658

Description looks pretty good. Starting date is perfect if we need to hold. Could do with pictures though, and the address to see where near the city center it is, might need to request them.

edit: Oops, forgot to calculate prices. For a 42 week rent, only the person with the smaller room makes a large saving. The others save just under £700 if we go by the cheapest uni accomodation :dontknow:
    Porbably better to wait. Ooooo, I see one that's close to the arts tower. Rent starts in mid July though.
    £700 is a big saving as a student :B

Important things to note, make sure you / we take into account that bills need to be inclusive, etc...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.