Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Susant)
    I'd definitely recommend retaking to achieve the required grades. In your personal statement, you can gush about how you did it so you could meet the requirements to be one with your beloved Japanese course (I kid, I kid :teehee:)

I'm sure you wouldn't. I was just teasing you PM sent.

That's true

I was mainly addressing the fact that a lot of people who ask around about entry requirements seem to feel that they're at a huge disadvantage if they don't do Japanese beforehand. I sent mine off not expecting much, but I ended up getting my offers.
    LOL, yeah totally. Though I don't think retaking any of my subjects will help much as they're all sciences (Chemistry, Physics, Maths). I'm thinking about taking something that will help me more in university... maybe a language course? I don't know, I want to shoot myself Q_Q...

I just saw your personal statement and it's really amazing. It seems like you used everything to your advantage. It makes me want to do more and more to achieve this. Right! I'm very motivated now! I FEE THE POWAHH oAo!! -Starts looking up courses-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Near)
    LOL, yeah totally. Though I don't think retaking any of my subjects will help much as they're all sciences (Chemistry, Physics, Maths). I'm thinking about taking something that will help me more in university... maybe a language course? I don't know, I want to shoot myself Q_Q...

I just saw your personal statement and it's really amazing. It seems like you used everything to your advantage. It makes me want to do more and more to achieve this. Right! I'm very motivated now! I FEE THE POWAHH oAo!! -Starts looking up courses-
    Hi, sorry but I have a suggestion. How are old are you? Are you over 19? (you don't need to tell me, it's just an entry qualification). I did an Access course in my local college. It's really good (hard but good) and I got onto the Japanese course this September because of it The course is free and if you take it full time then it only takes a year to finish. If you do that and then REALLY PUSH HOME how much you love Japanese then you should get in. I typed Japanese into my personal statement XD.

A tiny bit of randomness :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 07734)
    Hi, sorry but I have a suggestion. How are old are you? Are you over 19? (you don't need to tell me, it's just an entry qualification). I did an Access course in my local college. It's really good (hard but good) and I got onto the Japanese course this September because of it The course is free and if you take it full time then it only takes a year to finish. If you do that and then REALLY PUSH HOME how much you love Japanese then you should get in. I typed Japanese into my personal statement XD.
    Yes, I am 19 (nearly 20) and I need to know what the name of that course is!
    Waahhh~ I bet the admission tutor was well impressed by your personal statement! XD

A tiny bit of randomness :lol:

Omg this woman throws things around like a boss. I wish I could do that! oAo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Near)
    Yes, I am 19 (nearly 20) and I need to know what the name of that course is!
    Nah, basic Japanese doesn't take long to learn so you could do it too XD.

I did Access to Higher Education: Humanities

ReputationRep:
    Hello all!

I havn't been online much recently due to exams (I've got one in half an hour), seems it paid off though because my grades have gone up to distinction level! WOO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 07734)
    Nah, basic Japanese doesn't take long to learn so you could do it too XD.

I did Access to Higher Education: Humanities
    I found Access to Humanities and Teacher Training at my local college! I shall be sending my application very soon >w<!! Thank you for your advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Near)
    I found Access to Humanities and Teacher Training at my local college! I shall be sending my application very soon >w<!! Thank you for your advice!
    Make SURE you point out which uni you wanna go to and that you are POSITIVE that you can get in. I was rejected the first time I applied because they didn't think any uni's would accept me onto a Japanese course with no language ability. I had to show them a list of unis that would accept me and that I was suuuuuuuure this was what I wanted to do. Hehe, I was only 19 at the time and they were reluctent to accept someone so young. Most Access applicants are over 23 years of age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RanmaSyaoran)
    Hello all!

I havn't been online much recently due to exams (I've got one in half an hour), seems it paid off though because my grades have gone up to distinction level! WOO
    Yey! Well done! Ganbatte ne! *_* Every grade is another step closer to Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 07734)
    Make SURE you point out which uni you wanna go to and that you are POSITIVE that you can get in. I was rejected the first time I applied because they didn't think any uni's would accept me onto a Japanese course with no language ability. I had to show them a list of unis that would accept me and that I was suuuuuuuure this was what I wanted to do. Hehe, I was only 19 at the time and they were reluctent to accept someone so young. Most Access applicants are over 23 years of age.
    I think I'll apply early and see how it goes. Did you get rejected and then applied the year after? or did you have a word with them to let you in? Did you do A-levels? I really don't know if a university would accept me for sure as my A-level results are really crap but what I have in my advantage is the B that I achieved in my mother tongue language... I'm not sure if that shows any language ability though :/

(Original post by Near)
    I think I'll apply early and see how it goes. Did you get rejected and then applied the year after? or did you have a word with them to let you in? Did you do A-levels? I really don't know if a university would accept me for sure as my A-level results are really crap but what I have in my advantage is the B that I achieved in my mother tongue language... I'm not sure if that shows any language ability though :/
    Pretend that living in the UK for so long made you forget it and have to re-learn it? Well, to be honest, that was true in my case and so :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Near)
    I had no A-levels, only a Welsh Baccalaureate. The Access is all you really need and a willingness to learn Japanese. Any ability in another language will help you though and remember to add on your personal statement that you are currently self-studying Japanese at home as it looks sooooooooo good to the admissions tutors.

I got rejected the first year and has to reapply a year later.

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering if during the year abroad there are opportunities to do some sort of, well...internship probably isn't the right word, but something that will help me gain experience of how the Japanese business environment works? Do you know if anyone in the previous years has done something similar?
    I'm hoping to apply for a Training Contract at an international law firm towards the end of the degree with a Tokyo office seat in mind, so having that sort of experience on my CV would be awesome
    I honestly don't know. It's an interesting question as it's certainly something I'd like to do myself.

I'm sure there are opportunities but you'd have to sort it out yourself of course, which might be difficult. As long as it didn't conflict with your student visa or studies (bear in mind that the Japanese uni year starts in April, so I guess the time to do it would be in March) then I'm sure it's perfectly possible. I know people have done things such as modeling on their year abroad, so I don't see why you couldn't do an internship of some sort.

ReputationRep:
    Student visa holders are not allowed to engage in any paid activities, unless they get the permission of the school and the immigration office. Even then, students may work only a set maximum number of hours per week. Working on a tourist visa is prohibited.

Just so you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avila)
    Student visa holders are not allowed to engage in any paid activities, unless they get the permission of the school and the immigration office. Even then, students may work only a set maximum number of hours per week. Working on a tourist visa is prohibited.

Just so you know.
    We've been told you're allowed to work 20 hours a week after you've been in Japan for 3 months. I guess that's the 'permission' that Japanese universities and immigration give.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommles)
    We've been told you're allowed to work 20 hours a week after you've been in Japan for 3 months. I guess that's the 'permission' that Japanese universities and immigration give.
    Sounds about right and matches the reports language school students gave on other forums.

ReputationRep:
    Argh, I wish they did Japanese and Music studies :/

ReputationRep:
    Should've picked SOAS for that.

They offer BA Japanese Studies and Music

http://www.soas.ac.uk/japankorea/pro...esestudiesand/

Also with a year abroad; BA Japanese and Music
    http://www.soas.ac.uk/japankorea/programmes/bajapand/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by avila)
    Should've picked SOAS for that.

They offer BA Japanese Studies and Music

http://www.soas.ac.uk/japankorea/pro...esestudiesand/

Also with a year abroad; BA Japanese and Music
    http://www.soas.ac.uk/japankorea/programmes/bajapand/
    I was rejected from SOAS ;_;

ReputationRep:
    I firmed Japanese Studies at Sheffield last month; I also applied for accommodation at the Endcliffe Village. I'm 23 and just coming back out of college from studying Travel & Tourism, of which was all coursework and no exams!

I plan to work in the gaming/media industry in a role where I can use my Japanese. I thought maybe an entrepreneur for game designers promoting their product through interviews, presentations etc, or a translator for gaming/media related material like magazines, in-game subtitles and even game manuals. Then there are always the PR and advertising departments too as back up.

I'm looking forward to the course as I think it has excellent potential for a future career!
    I haven't yet decided which year 2 units I should take but I do hope they bring back 'East Asian Cinema'!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 30, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.