Turn on thread page Beta

Corned beef appretiation! watch

ReputationRep:
    Who else likes corned beef?
    :eating:
    I usually use it in corned beef sandwiches, corned beef hash, corned beef pie or corned beef stew(trick is to only leave it in for 5-10 minutes).

What do you guys do with corned beef?

Also, what kind do you buy? I buy the cheapest one on offer in Sainsburys, or the one form Lidls, both about £1.20 for a 340g tin. I've found Princes is about twice the price, and I don't believe it tastes any different.

Edit: Sorry about the spelling of the title.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yup. It rocks.

Haven't had it in yonks.

ReputationRep:
    Corned beef, scooped out of tin, smashed into buttered toast. AWESOME.

Corned beef stovies with extra cabbage and onion. BEASTIN'.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely ****ing adore corned beef. I'm not fussy about what kind - I love them all. Don't like the jelly you get on the outside sometimes though.

ReputationRep:
    For some goddamned odd reason when we all used to get packed lunches, people used to boke-boke whenever I got corned beef sandwiches but when I opened up my luminous Transformers treasure chest and staring at me was a beastin' big mighty white bread sandwich, opened it up and there was some delicious, smashed-up tinned corned beef on there, I almost wanted to run home just to tell Mum how much I loved her.

Same as paste sandwiches (tuna, beef, etc), spam, "chicken roll" etc - they're all termed as "cheap crap" but they were all my favourite! But one "crap meat" I simply couldn't stomach, for some reason, and that was... Luncheon Meat. *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrifer)
    Who else likes corned beef?

What do you guys do with corned beef?

I usually use it to attract rabid starving dogs to my house.

I then eat the dogs, because it's either that or corned beef.

ReputationRep:
    Cuddlemonster, I am cry.

Corned beef is lush.

ReputationRep:
    It looks revolting, but tastes amazing :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    Euw the jelly is nasty but OMG Corned Beef Hash!

So glad I got with my bf or I may have never found out what it was.

My Mum used to serve us cold corned beef with chips and beans when we were short on money. Still eat it when strapped now!

I actually need more recipes for it. It's so underrated.

ReputationRep:
    I only like it in a sandwich. Or just eating it straight from the packet! Omnomom

ReputationRep:
    I used to love going camping in the Scottish countryside not too far from home (Stirling is like a little oasis surrounded by awesome camping areas if you have the chance) and taking a tin of Heinz Baked Beans, a tin of Princes Corned Beef, and some chewy Mother's Pride Plain Loaf, and make hashed beans sandwiches on a campfire (you pretty much just mash it all together, cook on campfire, mash into bread, consume. The plain loaf "heelie enders" were the most epic for this).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by converselove)
    I only like it in a sandwich. Or just eating it straight from the packet! Omnomom
    Marry me.

ReputationRep:
    It's yummy. My Nan makes the best corned beef and potato pie. I found it quite funny how in geography most people were like eww I'd never eat that. It's really nice. I think one I had mash potato cheese and corned beef all mixed together, that was nice. I wan't corned beef now and we haven't got any in the house

ReputationRep:
    CORNED BEEF FREAKIN' HASH!

:sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    Are they oatcakes or am I very much mistaken??

ReputationRep:
    Straight from the packet is my favourite.
    Or (at least) three slices, on top of one another, on reeeeeeeeally soft white bread, mmmh.

ReputationRep:
    I used to love going camping in the Scottish countryside not too far from home (Stirling is like a little oasis surrounded by awesome camping areas if you have the chance) and taking a tin of Heinz Baked Beans, a tin of Princes Corned Beef, and some chewy Mother's Pride Plain Loaf, and make hashed beans sandwiches on a campfire (you pretty much just mash it all together, cook on campfire, mash into bread, consume. The plain loaf "heelie enders" were the most epic for this).
    Yea, it's pretty good for camping. Used to be standard British Army rations, my contacts inform me it's being superseded by 'bacon grill', a bacon version of spam.

My camping recipe was to mash it up with oatcakes and water, and cook it in a mess tin, maybe with a bit of bovril in there for good measure. Probably somewhat more grim than yours, but bread isn't good friends with Mr rucksack.

I love corned beef hash :love:

Was just thinking earlier that I need to go shopping and get some to make it for tea this week.

ReputationRep:

Same as paste sandwiches (tuna, beef, etc), spam, "chicken roll" etc - they're all termed as "cheap crap" but they were all my favourite! But one "crap meat" I simply couldn't stomach, for some reason, and that was... Luncheon Meat. *shudders*

Haha same! When I was really little, like 5 or something, My mum used to send me to school with egg roll sandwiches which is basically luncheon meat with a small egg slice in the middle. She stopped however when she realised I used to eat the egg and leave the meat

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.