Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Corned beef appretiation! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Corned Beef Sandwiches, Corned Beef toasties and corned beef pie. Hmmmmm....

I will make Corned Beed pie at some point during my next uni term.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirMasterKey)
    Corned Beef Sandwiches, Corned Beef toasties and corned beef pie. Hmmmmm....

I will make Corned Beed pie at some point during my next uni term.
    Toasties sound interesting. Is that just beef and butter? By the way, try mixing corned beef with a tin of beans as a pie filling. Interesting stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harrifer)
    Toasties sound interesting. Is that just beef and butter? By the way, try mixing corned beef with a tin of beans as a pie filling. Interesting stuff.
    In theory it is with butter but I've done it many a time without and it's still nice. In fact I prefer it than Corned Beef sandwiches! :eek:

Corned beef mixed in with mash and beans, now that is interesting...and lovely to boot.

ReputationRep:
    I will also share a personal recipe for all corned beef lovers - just because I love you all - one of my corned beef pleasures that I occasionally indulge in is my Chilli Panko Corned Beef.

You will need:
    Tin of Corned Beef
    Breadcrumbs (panko are best, but not necessary)
    Chilli Powder
    Parsley flakes (dried)
    One egg
    Sour Cream
    Plain flour

Get/make some Panko breadcrumbs (or alternatively simply finely crumb then toast regular bread, easier in some cases), some chilli powder to personal taste and dried parsley flakes, mix them all together. Cut a generous chunk of corned beef out of the block.

Next, take an egg, whip it up like you'd do for scrambling. Add a little more chilli powder here if you enjoy a bit of heat. Then add some sour cream to this, and mix it in well. You can add salt and pepper here if you like too.

Next, coat your Corned Beef in flour, then the egg mixture, then drop it into your crumb mixture, coating liberally (the more you get, the more it'll crunch).

From here you have two options - you can either bake in the oven until the crumb has browned, or deep fry your corned beef patties.

DIG IN! I suggest serving them up from here with either a blue cheese or sweet chilli dip, or hell - shove it on a sammich!

ReputationRep:
    What is corned beef?

ReputationRep:
    Best invention known to mankind...

ReputationRep:
    Corned beef here in the UK is minced, salted beef bound by gelatin, which is then usually packed into blocks and sold in trapezoid-shaped cans or sliced and sold in packets. In the USA it's brine-marinaded brisket (or sometimes other cuts) and something different altogether.

It's also called "Bully beef".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student)
    What is corned beef?
    You're sitting at a computer. How difficult would it have been to google that?

ReputationRep:
    I love it with scrambled eggs and fried plantain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    I love it with scrambled eggs and fried plantain.
    I don't know how I got to 21 without trying plantain. Probably by spending most of my time in Surrey.

Plantain's got to be good stuff right?

ReputationRep:
    Fried corned beef is heavenly :sogood:

Not the sliced stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TotoMimo)
    I will also share a personal recipe for all corned beef lovers - just because I love you all - one of my corned beef pleasures that I occasionally indulge in is my Chilli Panko Corned Beef.

You will need:
    Tin of Corned Beef
    Breadcrumbs (panko are best, but not necessary)
    Chilli Powder
    Parsley flakes (dried)
    One egg
    Sour Cream
    Plain flour

Get/make some Panko breadcrumbs (or alternatively simply finely crumb then toast regular bread, easier in some cases), some chilli powder to personal taste and dried parsley flakes, mix them all together. Cut a generous chunk of corned beef out of the block.

Next, take an egg, whip it up like you'd do for scrambling. Add a little more chilli powder here if you enjoy a bit of heat. Then add some sour cream to this, and mix it in well. You can add salt and pepper here if you like too.

Next, coat your Corned Beef in flour, then the egg mixture, then drop it into your crumb mixture, coating liberally (the more you get, the more it'll crunch).

From here you have two options - you can either bake in the oven until the crumb has browned, or deep fry your corned beef patties.

DIG IN! I suggest serving them up from here with either a blue cheese or sweet chilli dip, or hell - shove it on a sammich!
    I LOVE YOU and your food posts :adore:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how I got to 21 without trying plantain. Probably by spending most of my time in Surrey.

YES!
    Try to buy the ripest, softest ones possible - they'll be the sweetest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)
    I LOVE YOU and your food posts :adore:
    I do my best natty dearest!

ReputationRep:

LOL, it's lovely try finding it in an afro-carib(black) shop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    LOL, it's lovely try finding it in an afro-carib(black) shop.
    A bit of a tall order in Chichester, West Sussex. I'll keep an eye out. I remember seeing it in the grocers when I lived in Brighton.

Strangely enough a random little corner shop here sells Dragon Stout, lol.

ReputationRep:
    A bit of a tall order in Chichester, West Sussex. I'll keep an eye out. I remember seeing it in the grocers when I lived in Brighton.

Strangely enough a random little corner shop here sells Dragon Stout, lol.
    lol, any Asian(Pakistani, Indian etc.) shops ? Come to London!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ebuwa)
    lol, any Asian(Pakisyani, indian etc.) shops ? Come to London!
    Nah, this is Chichester. There's nothing but flat caps and old people down here!

Back when I lived in Brighton there was this awesome grocers called Taj, where you could buy pretty much anything. I looked at plantain quite a few times, but never had the guts to try it. I will next time.

ReputationRep:
    Can't beat a Corned Beef sandwich with some tomato ketchup!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weeyoyo)
    Can't beat a Corned Beef sandwich with some tomato ketchup!!
    I quite literally just had this, but with some amazing Harwoods Mixed Pickle! BEASTIN'!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.