Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which uni has best atmosphere

ReputationRep:
    Well I live in Oxford, but I have been to Edinburgh once.

Although I did like Edinburgh, because it was big and pretty, my heart lies with Oxford.

So for atmosphere I would say Oxford. :love:

ReputationRep:
    What

(Original post by Yayahi)
    What about nightlife????
    :facepalm2:

I'm not insulting Edinburgh, but if you want to sacrifice an education you will receive at Oxford at the expense of a bull**** nightlife, that is up to you.

University is supposed to be about the education first foremost.

ReputationRep:
    I have been to Edinburgh for a day and didn't really like it. The architecture is pretty nice, comparative to Glasgow (where I'm from) but I've seen pictures of Oxford and Oxford >>>>> Edinburgh. The atmosphere of Edinburgh of what I've heard is that it doesn't compare to Glasgow, which I don't know is a good thing or a bad thing So what I take from that is that it is probably pretty peaceful nightlife
    P.s Although you didn't want academic prestige to come into it, you can surely not reject Oxford for Edinburgh! Although Edinburgh is a superb university, not many can compare to Oxford in the UK, and I would say Edinburgh falls into that category. Although if it is purely just reasons and you are less prestige focused Then I would just check out both places and get a feel for yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got anymore opinions?

I'd previously assumed that Edinburgh would have more atmosphere actually with the festival, ancient history, castle etc

ReputationRep:
    Why not visit both and see for yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheebs1201)
    Why not visit both and see for yourself?
    I plan to

Just I'm interested to hear people's opinions! :P

ReputationRep:
    Oxford.

You can't choose 'candle-lit narrow lanes' over one of the best universities in the world. Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Strong comprehension skills in this thread. The OP is not asking for a comparison of the academic quality of the two universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    :facepalm2:

I'm not insulting Edinburgh, but if you want to sacrifice an education you will receive at Oxford at the expense of a bull**** nightlife, that is up to you.

University is supposed to be about the education first foremost.
    Read the post properly. How're you going to get into Oxbridge if you can't read and comprehend a simple forum post?! :rolleyes: Anyway, you'd recieve just as good an education at Edinburgh. Possibly better for some subjects.

Edinburgh probably has more to do and is a wee bit more majestic than Oxford, probably because of the geography of the city. I'm not the biggest Edinburgh fan (I LOVE Glasgow) but I'd say it's a more interesting city to live in - plus it's in Scotland! How nice is that?

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh nightlife is pretty damn good. There's a great range of clubs, ranging from dirt cheap to the more expensive George Street clubs. There always seems to be something going on, but it's a city so it has its cons. I haven't yet seen a 'candle-lit narrow lane'. I have, however, seen junkies starting fights in the streets, etc. It's not all picturesque and perfect. This goes for pretty much all major cities, though, and if I'm advising you purely on nightlife then, yeah, it's good. :yes:

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.