Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hash007)
    Wasnt it just drawing the Iodine with a full shell, one extra elctron so it had a negative charge?

Anyway I found that paper really hard! The first page just bamboozled me, I thought it got better as it went on though. The last section was pretty easy, about the article.
    Was does it mean if it's (I) next to the molecule, I said the chlorine had a 1+ charge.
    it didn't ask to draw the shell, did it? :s. there was only one line and it asked to give the outermost subshell of an iodide ion.

and the (I) is the oxidation state of the chlorine in that compound. it's a +1, not 1+.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by golddust&lipgloss)
    it didn't ask to draw the shell, did it? :s. there was only one line and it asked to give the outermost subshell of an iodide ion.

and the (I) is the oxidation state of the chlorine in that compound. it's a +1, not 1+.
    Yeah, so don't you just draw the outermost electrons :confused:

Don't think they would have asked you to work out all the sub shells seeing at the proton number was 53?

2, 8, 18, 18, 7

ReputationRep:
    I said chlorine could be used as a solvent lol. It was one of the simplest question, I just for some reason had no idea what the anwer was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hash007)
    Yeah, so don't you just draw the outermost electrons :confused:

Don't think they would have asked you to work out all the sub shells seeing at the proton number was 53?

2, 8, 18, 18, 7
    tbh, i don't know what to believe. i interpreted the question as giving the last subshell and everyone's saying something else :/. my friends and i agree on the last subshell thing.
    then i'm reading all sorts here;
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post31754895

ReputationRep:
    would chlorine being a CFC, be a viable use of chlorine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by golddust&lipgloss)

damnn, I just wrote 1

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to thank Hudz too for his document, proved very useful. Maybe i should have read it in more detail, but hey can you produce more materials like that for A2 please :P?

On the whole the paper was ok.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt1107)
    would chlorine being a CFC, be a viable use of chlorine?
    I don't think so, since CFCs are no longer used!
    I put bleach, which according to past papers I've done IS a different point to water purifying. So I hope I got that mark!

Made a few silly errors but I think the paper went quite well as a whole... I guess I'll see in August

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toshiya)
    I don't think so, since CFCs are no longer used!
    I put bleach, which according to past papers I've done IS a different point to water purifying. So I hope I got that mark!

Made a few silly errors but I think the paper went quite well as a whole... I guess I'll see in August
    Their still used in developing countries! I think similar questions in past papers accepted CFC's as an answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    Their still used in developing countries! I think similar questions in past papers accepted CFC's as an answer.
    Oh, really? I haven't noticed that before but if they do then yeah, CFCs might get you the mark.
    Seems a bit odd though considering the atmosphere questions often mention how CFCs aren't used any more...

ReputationRep:
    Off topic but I heard that Salters is seen as a better/more rigorous qualification by universities than, say, AQA Chemistry or the OCR A specifications.

Is this true?

ReputationRep:
    Does any one have the paper?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 26, 2011
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.