Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gowrav)
    Also, 33.335467861% use the :holmes: emote.
    in addition, 100% of users called Gowrav are *******s!

Spoiler:
    Show
    JK! lol

ReputationRep:
    I think somebody got rejected....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    I think somebody got rejected....
    nope-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modem)
    nope-
    The system is flawed yes.

Will every system be flawed? Yes.

Universities must rely on external comparisons (such as exams) to select people. The very nature of that means that there will be problems.

I understand your frustration, and I have seen my colleagues ask politicians about it, the truth is that any significant change would involve a massive expense and probable problems further down the line with graduate training etc.

I think we will have to make do

ReputationRep:
    I disagree. It's 0% luck - it's a series of complex interrelations between impossible to define factors that lead from the creation of the universe inevitably to your existence and failure to secure a place at medical school.

Determinism best -ism

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    I disagree. It's 0% luck - it's a series of complex interrelations between impossible to define factors that lead from the creation of the universe inevitably to your existence and failure to secure a place at medical school.

Determinism best -ism
    no homo-ur not clever
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by modem)
    no homo-ur not clever
    Evidently, neither are you...

e: Typo.. haha, how ironic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by modem)
    no homo-ur not clever
    Yes, personal homophobic assaults on my character. :holmes: (You're wrong, Gowrav )

In all seriousness, medical admissions is like any other admissions process - prone to random chance and personal biases. I won't say the system is perfect but 87% luck seems rather off if we discount socioeconomic background, academic support and networking opportunities (deterministic factors) and focus on what is on the UCAS form and interview. The interview is probably the largest part where personal bias enters into it, at some universities more than others.

ReputationRep:
    There should be a new admissions process.

I suggest Mortal combat. Everyone fights to the death. One person fights another, and the one that wins gets a place. Seems fair to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Evidently, neither are you...

e: Typo.. haha, how ironic.
    Never say never!

Edit: Darnit, you caught me out before I was able to quote your mistake.

ReputationRep:
    I do agree with you in that the admissions process does need to change, as it is really unfair at the moment. But that is the way it is and sadly I do not see it changing. Such a shame too.

ReputationRep:
    If it were up to me...

Every university would have their own test. I mean, you want to compare the students that apply to your university, why then would you want the results of your admissions test being influenced by applicants not even applying to your university! Also, you are responsible for administering it, pricing it whatever

I don't have any sympathy for big buearocratical organisations like admissions offices - make them do some more work!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Vazzyb)
    If it were up to me...

Every university would have their own test. I mean, you want to compare the students that apply to your university, why then would you want the results of your admissions test being influenced by applicants not even applying to your university! Also, you are responsible for administering it, pricing it whatever

I don't have any sympathy for big buearocratical organisations like admissions offices - make them do some more work!
    So... many... exams... :nooo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Circadian_Rhythm)
    Slightly off topic but I think it illustrates my point.

I make my own luck.
    I actually adore this.

ReputationRep:
    87% luck, eh? I may as well not have bothered with the hours or blood, sweat and tears I put into my application if I only got in because my name was pulled out of a hat.

ReputationRep:
    I like to think admissions tutors can just *smell* a good application.

"Oh, damn, this one smells really good, like a hot chicken sandwich with warm mayo and crispy lettuce. Give this guy an offer, I'm off to the Deli. To fill my admission belly. lol i made a rhyme. Are we interviewing anybody today? What Medical School is this anyway? lol i rhymed again."

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and this is pretty much what the OP is thinking-

Get an offer -> YAY, TEH ADMISSIONZ PROCESS IS FAIR AND JUST AND I LOVE IT.
    Get no offers -> OMG TEH ADMISSIONZ PROCESS IT IS FLAWED LIKE IT IS SO UNFAIR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    Oh, and this is pretty much what the OP is thinking-

Get an offer -> YAY, TEH ADMISSIONZ PROCESS IS FAIR AND JUST AND I LOVE IT.
    Get no offers -> OMG TEH ADMISSIONZ PROCESS IT IS FLAWED LIKE IT IS SO UNFAIR.
    To be honest, most people think that. Who would not be happy with an offer.

You can pretty much relate what you said above to most things in life. If you do something and it works out for you, you will love it. If it does not, then you will hate it.

Everyone who does not get an offer feels the same way.

Oh, by the way, did you get into medicine. I can pretty much guarantee that if you did not get into medicine, then you would hate the admission process as well, because let's face it, it is flawed.

I deserve positive rep for this. Keep it coming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestar101)
    There should be a new admissions process.

I suggest Mortal combat. Everyone fights to the death. One person fights another, and the one that wins gets a place. Seems fair to me.
    Just a slight adjustment on this idea, instead of a fight to the death, a fight to near death and the loser gets a place for dentistry

Just to add my 10 pence in, I think the overall system is fair enough (coming from someone with 4 rejections!), obviously as with everything there's an element of luck, but I do hate that they use the UKCAT! I understand that they need some sort of test but the UKCAT is no good for a multitude of reasons.

An alternative is perhaps something like what Manchester try to do for dentistry. The applicants are given a big textbook full of dentistry information and told that questions were going to be asked on it at interview. Obviously this is a bit of pot luck depending on what question you get asked/what you learned.

I would suggest that instead of the UKCAT, we have a test where one month before the test they release a set of learning outcomes on a topic that is covered in the medical course 1.(or perhaps a slightly simplified version?) and/or 2. (a selection of simple aspects from a variety of topics?) It would be similar to tests that are done in the medical course, and so completely relevant. Then we all sit the test on the same day, (like they do with the BMAT?). This way everyone has an equal chance. Some could argue that "their mate got an unfair advantage because their mate has read up on stuff that's in the medicine course before the month started", but really, if you're encouraging people to learn parts of the medicine course before applying it can only be a good thing. Perhaps some people would change their choice of course once they see what kind of stuff they'll actually be doing, instead of bloody shapes and codes

But it's only off of the top of my head, there's probably some huge hole in this theory

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firestar101)
    To be honest, most people think that. Who would not be happy with an offer.

You can pretty much relate what you said above to most things in life. If you do something and it works out for you, you will love it. If it does not, then you will hate it.

Everyone who does not get an offer feels the same way.

Oh, by the way, did you get into medicine. I can pretty much guarantee that if you did not get into medicine, then you would hate the admission process as well, because let's face it, it is flawed.

I deserve positive rep for this. Keep it coming.
    I can pretty much guarantee that I wouldn't have.

There are a fair few things in this world that I think are flawed. Here's a list-

1) Internet forums
    2) The Liberal Democrats
    3) Chickens
    4) Nintendo 3DS
    5) Jehovah's witnesses that knock on my door
    6) Sony Vaio laptops
    7) Foam pillows
    8) Ovaltine
    9) AQA
    10) Wolverine
    11) Wifi hotspots
    12) Condoms with sweatholes
    13) Buses
    14) Me
    15) Those flimsy bathroom bins that tip over when you try and open them with your foot
    16) The Medical School Admissions process
    17) Sugar free sweets
    18) Family Guy
    19) Wallpaper that you paint over
    20) Virgin Media
    21) Virgins
    22) Lists like this

Look, I know the process has its flaws, but what the process can and MOST of the time does is it brings those who are academically capable as well as genuinely interested in medicine, into med school, while avoiding those who may not be, or may be applying for the wrong reasons. No process which involves sorting through and endless numbers of subjective variables is going to be flawless. Without a doubt there will be casualties in terms of fantastic candidates being rejected and sub-par candidates weeding through the net that was designed to keep them out.

But ultimately, most of the time, it gets the job done efficiently. A perfect admissions process is bound to be inefficient, as it would involve Medical schools having to-
    a) Interview everybody
    b) Set and standardise their own unique admissions test
    c) Get a panel to sit down and review each and every application individually
    d) Scrutinise the finest of details between applicants
    and God knows what else, all in a matter of months. It's just not feasible. There's room for improvement, yes, but the system in place at the minute seems to be working fine, whether you want to admit that or not.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 21, 2011

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.