Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seasons of wither)
    bearing in mind i only got 2 A*s at gcse though, due to my situation at the time (im expected to perform much better at AS and A2), what are the chances of the above mentioned universities actually taking a second look at my application? should i be setting my standards lower? any help appreciated, thanks
    It depends what your situation was. You would have to make it clear at the top of your personal statement to explain.

I would say you should consider some lower uni's aswell, but there is no harm in aiming high as long as you have a few back ups!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwesomeAkhilesh)
    i'm guessing ur gonna need a high ukcat for kings and a high bmat for UCL and imperial :rolleyes:
    ahh ok, im hoping crit think will give me a bit of grounding for the preparation for these, im predicted 93 UMS

ReputationRep:
    So true bro

i'm going to get my mum to mail it over haha :rolleyes:
    Haha i wanna apply leceister this year I heard they got lots of paneer serving resturants there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Same but heyhoe we could always ace our alevels and do our best in our ukcat, and we would be quite competitive
    True, I did most of my AS exams this summer, and I was two marks away from four A's :rolleyes:. Nevermind, I've got AABB at the moment and I'll be doing a couple resits in the summer to get those B's up to A's.

I have the worst diet ever yet i do loads of sport..
    two words: chilli paneer.
    google it. :cool:
    I am the exact same. I do so much sport (TKD and rugby mainly) but any postive effects it has is negated by my love of cadburys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    It depends what your situation was. You would have to make it clear at the top of your personal statement to explain.

I would say you should consider some lower uni's aswell, but there is no harm in aiming high as long as you have a few back ups!
    yeah, my last school werent exactly pro-active in trying to get me any special consideration for the exams... could you suggest any other universities that would be worth me looking at? or anybody else? :L

ReputationRep:
    Gsce's : 6A's 4B's c,d,f

As results (so far): Maths C1 ,A (100/100) Chem A (81/90) Physics B (65/90) Bio A (74/90)

*is going to apply really smart this year*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    There are 3 types. None are better than the other - it's just about how you work best.

Problem Based Learning (PBL) is where they split you into groups and you pretty much have to find all the information out yourself. However because you're in groups, you're only as good as the worst person in your group.

Integrated is where it's a mixture of learning styles.

Traditional is where for the first 3 years you purely to lectures etc, and the next 3 years you do all clinical based. Mostly used in oxbridge.
    Thanks i kind of like the idea of pbl, kind of like scrubs (post jd) hey I just want to get a medical degree i dnt think i can be picky as im nt super clever like some on this forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)

I am the exact same. I do so much sport (TKD and rugby mainly) but any postive effects it has is negated by my love of cadburys
    There's no harm in enjoying good food

I do hockey and badminton seriously (club and school team) and then swimming and tennis for jokes (free time).

ReputationRep:
    There's no harm in enjoying good food

I do hockey and badminton seriously (club and school team) and then swimming and tennis for jokes (free time).
    Nice, I'm in school team for rugby (although we are awful ) and TKD I've competed in several national/regional tournaments (even won a few).
    Extracurricular section of ps sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cashy)
    Gsce's : 6A's 4B's c,d,f

As results (so far): Maths C1 ,A (100/100) Chem A (81/90) Physics B (65/90) Bio A (74/90)

*is going to apply really smart this year*
    Your AS's are great results and if you could get your physics up to a A, you'll be in a great position, your gcse's aren't the best they're good enough and with a good ukcat you got a great chance aslong as you apply smart lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm a hopeful medic too, so scared about getting 4 rejections though since all I hear is stories of people with amazing grades being rejected from medical school.
    Oh and I started trying the exercises in the 600 UKCAT questions book, I thought I was destined to fail it after the first one, then realised you are allowed calculators

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaunebanane)
    Hospital work experience is proving extremely difficult to get argh
    Write a letter to every hospital in every department thats what I dne, (lost a lot of money on stamps) but I got yes's from 2 and still waiting for replies from 3 with all the others being rejected :mad:, do not write to the hr as they hardly do anything but write to the departments, it is very hard when you have no connections to get wrk experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    Your AS's are great results and if you could get your physics up to a A, you'll be in a great position, your gcse's aren't the best they're good enough and with a good ukcat you got a great chance aslong as you apply smart lol
    lol thanks, and may we both suceed

e: well actually everyone in this thread lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaunebanane)
    Hospital work experience is proving extremely difficult to get argh
    I KNOW.

have sent 7 emails, and received one response: out of office. :mad:

am sending off 11 written letters tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    I'm a hopeful medic too, so scared about getting 4 rejections though since all I hear is stories of people with amazing grades being rejected from medical school.
    Oh and I started trying the exercises in the 600 UKCAT questions book, I thought I was destined to fail it after the first one, then realised you are allowed calculators
    I had no idea you were a year 12, generally the more active people on here are the year 13s / re-applicants so I assumed you were one of them. the UKCAT question book is crazy, AR is impossible but QR I find is quite easy (Did not know you could use a calculator though, that could come in handy!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    I got 4 rejections this year which wasn't great but I'm gonna take a year out and reapply If you really wanna do medicine, you've almost got to be willing to give it at least two go's me thinks I got two UKCAT books but I didn't use them as much as I probably should have. I'm definatly starting to do work for them now

ReputationRep:
    Year 12s are awesome like it you agree. :P

ReputationRep:
    Apparently the UKCAT/BMAT has no correlation with people getting into uni's. They will still pick who they want most, and will really only confirm to them weaker candidate's who they were unsure on. It's a huuuuuge money making scheme!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I'm applying for medicine for 2012 entry, with Glasgow being my first choice, and maybe Edinburgh, although I haven't decided as of yet. Has anyone started revising for the UKCAT yet, or am I jumping the gun a bit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    I had no idea you were a year 12, generally the more active people on here are the year 13s / re-applicants so I assumed you were one of them. the UKCAT question book is crazy, AR is impossible but QR I find is quite easy (Did not know you could use a calculator though, that could come in handy!).
    AR is deadly, hopefully I'll improve with practice.
    Have I talked with you before? Your username seems familiar but I can't recall where I've seen it.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.