Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kateamelia)
    Well, I'm being realistic as I know how competitive Medicine is, so although I love Bristol I'm not sure if I'll apply there as they do seem to be very selective. My line up will probably look something like this:

Bristol (Maybe, not sure )
    Southampton
    BSMS / maybe Barts?
    KCL,
    I've been on open days to all these last year when I was thinking of doing something else, so I've yet to look at the proportion of PBL they have etc but I just liked these places in general
    What about you?
    Yes I know same, I was considering Oxbridge until I finally decided medicine.

Nottingham
    Newcastle
    Birmingham
    Sheffield

I may change though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Ahem. Hello....big country north of Newcastle....

No fees for Scottish students here, only living costs. And anyone from England, Wales, Northern Ireland gets charged around £1800 pa.
    Ooops, I meant in England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    But after 4 years of studying, the NHS tuition fees bursary kicks in, so we save £9,000 or £18,000 depending on if you intercalate or not

(Because I think the student loan company only give out student loans for 4 years, so the NHS pays the rest)
    Oh really? Sounds good

ReputationRep:
    huh? holidays?

Lucky

Had to go back today :yawn:

Although I've got tomorrow, Thursday, then Tuesday to Friday, then Monday to Wednesday and then study leave for a month
    Same with me.. though saying that I think there's only 4 days until Biol 1?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    Same with me.. though saying that I think there's only 4 days until Biol 1?
    Don't know about Biol 1 - sat that in January

Biol 2's on the 18th though, as is C1 (or C2, can't remember)

ReputationRep:
    yo

Chem question

When an alkene has more than 1 double bond, do you put a di before the ene?

CH2=C=CH2

So would this be propene, or propdiene

CH3CH2CH=CHCH2CH=CH2

Would this be Hept-1,4- diene

or

Hept-1,4-ene

ReputationRep:
    Ahem. Hello....big country north of Newcastle....

No fees for Scottish students here, only living costs. And anyone from England, Wales, Northern Ireland gets charged around £1800 pa.
    Only £1800 pa for tuition fees for unis in Scotland? :eek:
    Then why isnt everyone from England charging to Scotland to escape the tuition fee rise? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoinkytheduck)
    Only £1800 pa for tuition fees for unis in Scotland? :eek:
    Then why isnt everyone from England charging to Scotland to escape the tuition fee rise? :confused:
    They do/are/will be. Most are put off by the distance and there is a far larger selection of unis south of the border

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    yo

Chem question

CH2=C=CH2

CH3CH2CH=CHCH2CH=CH2

or

Hept-1,4-ene
    1. Prop-1,2-diene.

2. Hept-1,4-diene.

If there is more than 1 double bond, it is not an alkene, as an alkene only has 1 double bond, general formula = CnH2n.

ReputationRep:
    Don't know about Biol 1 - sat that in January

Biol 2's on the 18th though, as is C1 (or C2, can't remember)
    Oh lucky! We didn't do January modules :/ I think it's C2 on the same day as biol 2?

ReputationRep:
    Oh lucky! We didn't do January modules :/ I think it's C2 on the same day as biol 2?
    Yeah - I even have 2 exams that occur at the same time... twice :eek:

So will be quarantined :dance: - never happened to me before

ReputationRep:
    They do/are/will be. Most are put off by the distance and there is a far larger selection of unis south of the border
    Oh righty-ho...
    So is there going to be a big rise in applicants to Scottish unis??
    I was considering Edinburgh, but I think theres already a huge applicant : places ratio... so if its going to rise even more I might be scared off..!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoinkytheduck)
    Oh righty-ho...
    So is there going to be a big rise in applicants to Scottish unis??
    I was considering Edinburgh, but I think theres already a huge applicant : places ratio... so if its going to rise even more I might be scared off..!
    Well I think everyone is expecting that. It will vary between courses.

Which is why you should come to Aberdeen

ReputationRep:
    1. Prop-1,2-diene.

2. Hept-1,4-diene.

If there is more than 1 double bond, it is not an alkene, as an alkene only has 1 double bond, general formula = CnH2n.
    I think it's:

Prop-1,2-adiene and Hept-1,4-adiene?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know same, I was considering Oxbridge until I finally decided medicine.

Haha yeah same here, I was considering Oxford until I decided to apply for Medicine. I thought I should atleast give myself a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    yo

Chem question

CH2=C=CH2

CH3CH2CH=CHCH2CH=CH2

or

Hept-1,4-ene
    I think it's:

Prop-1,2-adiene and Hept-1,4-adiene?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kateamelia)
    Haha yeah same here, I was considering Oxford until I decided to apply for Medicine. I thought I should atleast give myself a chance.
    Yes i'm still debating it tbh.. I don't want to regret it one way or the other. Also, I've seen on some succesful applicants profiles this year, some only have 4 A*s at GCSE for Medicine, which surprised me. (Though then maybe that means they did very well in the BMAT... )

ReputationRep:
    Alsoooo...

Does anyone doing AQA Biology use any websites for revision? I have a text book and class notes, but I want something different to read from? I find with AQA biology you need a broader range of knowledge :/

ReputationRep:
    Yes i'm still debating it tbh.. I don't want to regret it one way or the other. Also, I've seen on some succesful applicants profiles this year, some only have 4 A*s at GCSE for Medicine, which surprised me. (Though then maybe that means they did very well in the BMAT... )
    Well since 80% of people get rejected, I doubt there are many people out there studying medicine 'regretting' that they didn't choose Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    For Oxford??

I thought they love the GCSEs, but Cambridge love the BMAT (and 90%+ UMS scores of course :rolleyes:)

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 14, 2011

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.