The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dominiqueblack
Yeah no problem :smile:!

Sorry to be a pain but please could you possibly sent me that message too? :smile: I don't know if I should risk applying to med school but I can't think if anything else I want to do
Reply 201
Original post by Andrew Mooney
Hi everyone :smile:

I'm applying for medicine for 2012 entry, with Glasgow being my first choice, and maybe Edinburgh, although I haven't decided as of yet. Has anyone started revising for the UKCAT yet, or am I jumping the gun a bit?

Wow - you have all summer purely for revising for that! Stick to revising for your AS's!
Original post by liviaaa

Original post by liviaaa
Apparently the UKCAT/BMAT has no correlation with people getting into uni's. They will still pick who they want most, and will really only confirm to them weaker candidate's who they were unsure on. It's a huuuuuge money making scheme!

Maybe for the UKCAT, but imperial sure do take the bmat wayyy to seriously :tongue:
Original post by cz100
AR is deadly, hopefully I'll improve with practice.
Have I talked with you before? Your username seems familiar but I can't recall where I've seen it.

I post on the medicine forums a lot, that's probably where you've seen me.
Original post by liviaaa
Apparently the UKCAT/BMAT has no correlation with people getting into uni's. They will still pick who they want most, and will really only confirm to them weaker candidate's who they were unsure on. It's a huuuuuge money making scheme!

I think unis are using it a lot more than they claim. Yes they are using it to decide with those people who are all close but its becoming something just to cut down the number of applicants because its so high. ie in previous years aberdeen have about 1500 applicants for med this year they had about 2500. They claim they only base 4 or 8%ish on the ukcat but they've probably used it this year just to get rid of a block of people because there are too many... but i do agree it is sucha money making scheme
You are all a lot more dedicated than I was last year, just thought I'd point that out...
I only decided in August I wanted to do Medicine definately :tongue:
Reply 206
Original post by Bubbles2010
Maybe for the UKCAT, but imperial sure do take the bmat wayyy to seriously :tongue:

Perhaps, but I know a boy who just got into Imperial for 2011, who said he didn't do very well. He had the perfect grades though, so I guess that made up for it.
Reply 207
Original post by Quackers93
I got 4 rejections this year which wasn't great but I'm gonna take a year out and reapply :smile: If you really wanna do medicine, you've almost got to be willing to give it at least two go's me thinks :smile: I got two UKCAT books but I didn't use them as much as I probably should have. I'm definatly starting to do work for them now :smile:

That must be tough but isnt it easier to get into med school with a gap year as you have your a2, more work experience and have usually a higher ukcat, also what uni's did you apply to, and how did you find wrk xperience
Original post by atomos
You are all a lot more dedicated than I was last year, just thought I'd point that out...
I only decided in August I wanted to do Medicine definately :tongue:

How did you get work experience in enough time! :O or did you do work experience before completely deciding?
Reply 209
Original post by Normandy114
I post on the medicine forums a lot, that's probably where you've seen me.

I think I saw you on the work exp thread :yep:

Does anyone know which unis except Oxbridge do traditional teaching as opposed to PBL? I know I can find all the info online but I've done so much researching on the computer my eyes are going funny and my internet connection keeps breaking :mad:
How did you get work experience in enough time! :O or did you do work experience before completely deciding?

Haha I never did any until september/october :tongue:
My mum dug out her phone book like a week after I got my results in August and got in touch with like everyone she knew and I managed to get work exp in Oncology (1 day), Opthalmology & ENT (3 days) and in a GP (week). And in August I started volunteering at a nursing home, and I'd already been volunteering at Barnardo's for a year.

I'm such a last minute person :')

And also, i found out about the ukcat two weeks before I sat it - hopefully this year I'll do better because I actually know what it is and can revise more :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by liviaaa

Original post by liviaaa
Perhaps, but I know a boy who just got into Imperial for 2011, who said he didn't do very well. He had the perfect grades though, so I guess that made up for it.

Perhaps, or maybe he didnt do as well as he hoped, but still met their cut off :s-smilie: Imperial are strange with such things, and for some reason, i dont think they look at your grades much (I had 11A*s at GCSE, 6As at AS, and predicted 5A*s)
Original post by rohitbd
That must be tough but isnt it easier to get into med school with a gap year as you have your a2, more work experience and have usually a higher ukcat, also what uni's did you apply to, and how did you find wrk xperience

Whats really tough is getting a rejection one day, then a final rejection the next day and THEN ucas deciding to rub it in your face and send you an email saying 'its now time to apply for student finance'.. it was not appreciated! :mad: but im over it now, positive thinking always helps :biggrin: I've heard that reapplicants are slightly more likely but whether thats true or not :confused: Hopefully though it'll be easier.. thats what im counting on :tongue:

I applied to St. Andrews, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Dundee, had an interview at St. Andrews and straight rejection from the rest. I found it so hard getting work experience cause it seems like you NEED to know someone around here to get in anywhere which isnt right! :angry: I ended up doing a week in two hospitals in Wales... only a few hundred miles from home... with my uncles girlfriends brother who i'd never met before - at least it showed dedication lol
Original post by cz100
I think I saw you on the work exp thread :yep:

Does anyone know which unis except Oxbridge do traditional teaching as opposed to PBL? I know I can find all the info online but I've done so much researching on the computer my eyes are going funny and my internet connection keeps breaking :mad:

st andrews might?
dunno maybe not though i get confused :tongue:
Whats really tough is getting a rejection one day, then a final rejection the next day and THEN ucas deciding to rub it in your face and send you an email saying 'its now time to apply for student finance'.. it was not appreciated! :mad: but im over it now, positive thinking always helps :biggrin: I've heard that reapplicants are slightly more likely but whether thats true or not :confused: Hopefully though it'll be easier.. thats what im counting on :tongue:

I applied to St. Andrews, Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Dundee, had an interview at St. Andrews and straight rejection from the rest. I found it so hard getting work experience cause it seems like you NEED to know someone around here to get in anywhere which isnt right! :angry: I ended up doing a week in two hospitals in Wales... only a few hundred miles from home... with my uncles girlfriends brother who i'd never met before - at least it showed dedication lol

Applicant twin! Didn't realise before, but that's exactly my story too :rolleyes::redface:
Reply 215
Original post by jaunebanane
I know that St Andrews does fo' sho. Imperial and UCL also do some - like Oxbridge, they do dissections in the first year.

Goodness me, that's about the top 5 unis in term of prestige. There's no way I can base all my choices purely on teaching style by the looks of it
Reply 216

That mustve been hard (i should start preparing for the worst)
Wow I saw your application on the profiles page and got so scared as your gcse are better than mine, all i think you need is a better ukcat,
Original post by atomos
Haha I never did any until september/october :tongue:
My mum dug out her phone book like a week after I got my results in August and got in touch with like everyone she knew and I managed to get work exp in Oncology (1 day), Opthalmology & ENT (3 days) and in a GP (week). And in August I started volunteering at a nursing home, and I'd already been volunteering at Barnardo's for a year.

I'm such a last minute person :')

And also, i found out about the ukcat two weeks before I sat it - hopefully this year I'll do better because I actually know what it is and can revise more :tongue:

Original post by atomos
Applicant twin! Didn't realise before, but that's exactly my story too :rolleyes::redface:

Hahaha! *high-5* we are actually so applicant twins cause I was exactly the same with my ukcat too! though cause i didnt have any idea, we got it moved back a week so i had slightly longer tho it did me no good really :tongue:

Wow I'm impressed at the work experience you got considering the time! I only got like a week! well and British Heart volunteering but still :tongue:

I meant to say when i first quoted you, its nice to see a familiar face.. or user name on here lol :h:
Reply 218
Original post by atomos

Applicant triplet! :tongue: It's cause we're cool! :tongue:
Reply 219
Hahaha! *high-5* we are actually so applicant twins cause I was exactly the same with my ukcat too! though cause i didnt have any idea, we got it moved back a week so i had slightly longer tho it did me no good really :tongue:

Wow I'm impressed at the work experience you got considering the time! I only got like a week! well and British Heart volunteering but still :tongue:

I meant to say when i first quoted you, its nice to see a familiar face.. or user name on here lol :h:

applicant triplet! forgot to quote you in my above one :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending