Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Just anaemia really - my mum used to have a low haemoglobin level - which caused tiredness, skin becoming more pale etc.
    right,okay. *I get the feeling I made our convo slightly awkard* hahaha :rolleyes:
    I'm off to bed..its been a long day of procrastionation

ReputationRep:
    Just anaemia really - my mum used to have a low haemoglobin level - which caused tiredness, skin becoming more pale etc.
    Perhaps your mother's haemoglobin has a very high affinity for Oxygen, so less can be released at the tissues? Do you have any lugworms in the family?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)
    Perhaps your mother's haemoglobin has a very high affinity for Oxygen, so less can be released at the tissues? Do you have any lugworms in the family?
    Not that I'm aware of...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unbiased Opinion)
    Oh noes, good point. Are PSs supposed to be tailored towards unis?

Hmm... I reckon I will to go to open days before the summer in that case. The only annoying thing is that I'm France at the end of June- beginning of July which seems to be when literally every open day is.
    They aren't supposed to be written to a checklist but if the admissions people mention that medicine is about lifelong learning or that they hate reading a certain sentence because it's so over used then that can be helpful. Personally I went to 2 in summer and one in september. A lot of it is the same information but it's good to hear a particular universities slant on things.

ReputationRep:
    which one? :eek:
    AHAHAHAHA I looked at your post and then your username and I was in fits ... and if you really want to know he said something about ... god of all science ... probably a new one but YOU should know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    Sounds nice
    I really like traditional teaching but that's rare so I'd probably apply for integrated courses which'll help me rule some unis out at least. The Aberdeen facilities looked amazing in the presentations, but does it get very cold during Winter? And does it get badly affected by snow?

ps. loving the pink username
    Aberdeen and St Andrews can be cold in SUMMER!. Scottish weather espcially the further north you get is cold and usually wet, Glasgow is too. This year the snow was terrible and quite prolonged. The M8 was closed while they were trying to break up the ice. Its been quite nice the last few days though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Giggy88)
    Now you're making me scared :eek:.
    Its true!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liviaaa)
    I just mean if I don't get 4 A's I won't apply, as what's the point as this would be the offer? If not I will.
    If you don't get four A's at AS its not the end of the world - I got AAABC and I got an interview (you had to have good personal statement and good academics) although they didn't look at AS really so that helped. Did I mention I got a B in chemistry? The sin of sins.... applying for medicine with a B in chem! (I was only a mark or two off though) so wasn't a world away .. and the C was in critical thinking so who cares about that :rolleyes:

I also know someone who got ABBCD and they got two interviews! (didn't get in but still two interviews with one A out of 5 AS) I also heard of this girl in my college who got a C in biology but she still managed to get an offer.

Theres hope if you don't get 4 A's at AS I wouldn't give up instantly if I were you. I was gutted when I didn't get all A's (minus critcal, i was happy not getting a U ) but I just worked at it and in Jan modules I got all A's - its your A Levels / highers/advanced highers (not sure about scottish) that really count... it may jut take a year or so longer, but it's do-able

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quackers93)
    If you don't get four A's at AS its not the end of the world - I got AAABC and I got an interview (you had to have good personal statement and good academics) although they didn't look at AS really so that helped. Did I mention I got a B in chemistry? The sin of sins.... applying for medicine with a B in chem! (I was only a mark or two off though) so wasn't a world away .. and the C was in critical thinking so who cares about that :rolleyes:

I also know someone who got ABBCD and they got two interviews! (didn't get in but still two interviews with one A out of 5 AS) I also heard of this girl in my college who got a C in biology but she still managed to get an offer.

Theres hope if you don't get 4 A's at AS I wouldn't give up instantly if I were you. I was gutted when I didn't get all A's (minus critcal, i was happy not getting a U ) but I just worked at it and in Jan modules I got all A's - its your A Levels / highers/advanced highers (not sure about scottish) that really count... it may jut take a year or so longer, but it's do-able
    Okay For me though, I don't think I'd apply - though I can see it's possible. I'm one of these perfectionist people and if I can't enter something with the best chance I can give my self, I'd prefer to try out for something else. Just me.

Also, for places like B'ham they say they favour students who have cashed in good AS grades. After all, they are half the grade - so I don't see why I'd suddenly go to getting all A's in A level, from not at AS, then not being able to accept your firm offer (if you got one) as you can't resit the final A2 modules!

Sorry I way over think this stuff. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsrayray:))
    Oh well done!
    Why are you considering a gap year?
    Because I want to make sure medicine is for me. I don't want to make a choice that will affect me for the rest of my life and it be the wrong one.

I was speaking to a GP and he was saying that a lot of doctors he comes across are not happy people, they like the idea of the job but not the job itself. Here is an example, they like the thought of caring for people but in reality most people are so ungrateful that you begin to hate the job.

The GP also said that because we are so young (I'm 17) we have to make our choices early for university and are at risk of making the wrong choice that will affect us for life. He said that back in his day he would worry about that stuff when he was 21.

So in my gap year I want to get actual clinical experience like volunteering in a hospital or working as a phlebotomist so I can experience the atmosphere that I would be around a lot if I choose medicine and if it really is right for me. I also need a break from education, because in a career like medicine, there is no break!

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling - biology is so hard! Well, not the content, but just their mark schemes are so narrow minded.
    If your talking about AQA bio then yes they are very harsh.

ReputationRep:
    Okay For me though, I don't think I'd apply - though I can see it's possible. I'm one of these perfectionist people and if I can't enter something with the best chance I can give my self, I'd prefer to try out for something else. Just me.
    Is that a cross between OCD and some autistic variant?

I think you shouldn't apply if you don't get 97 UMS+.
    If you don't get 97 UMS+ you're worthless

ReputationRep:

Also, for places like B'ham they say they favour students who have cashed in good AS grades. After all, they are half the grade - so I don't see why I'd suddenly go to getting all A's in A level, from not at AS, then not being able to accept your firm offer (if you got one) as you can't resit the final A2 modules!

Sorry I way over think this stuff. :erm:
    I wouldn't have applied if I didn't get all As in AS as they say that they don't care, but they really do. You're better off applying for a course you're sure to get the grades for. But try your hardest this summer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabbo12)
    I wouldn't have applied if I didn't get all As in AS as they say that they don't care, but they really do. You're better off applying for a course you're sure to get the grades for. But try your hardest this summer.
    Glad someone agrees. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Is that a cross between OCD and some autistic variant?

I think you shouldn't apply if you don't get 97 UMS+.
    I didn't mention UMS.. an A is an A despite the number attached to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VaVe)
    They aren't supposed to be written to a checklist but if the admissions people mention that medicine is about lifelong learning or that they hate reading a certain sentence because it's so over used then that can be helpful. Personally I went to 2 in summer and one in september. A lot of it is the same information but it's good to hear a particular universities slant on things.
    Oh right, so avoiding pissing off the admissions tutor. :p: Gotcha.

Ok, if possible, I'm definitely going to open days.

+ Congrats on the offers btw! How you feeling about meeting them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy Chuckie)
    If your talking about AQA bio then yes they are very harsh.
    Yup :/

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mention UMS.. an A is an A despite the number attached to it.
    Yes, but some As are better than other As.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fluffy Chuckie)
    Because I want to make sure medicine is for me. I don't want to make a choice that will affect me for the rest of my life and it be the wrong one.

I was speaking to a GP and he was saying that a lot of doctors he comes across are not happy people, they like the idea of the job but not the job itself. Here is an example, they like the thought of caring for people but in reality most people are so ungrateful that you begin to hate the job.

The GP also said that because we are so young (I'm 17) we have to make our choices early for university and are at risk of making the wrong choice that will affect us for life. He said that back in his day he would worry about that stuff when he was 21.

So in my gap year I want to get actual clinical experience like volunteering in a hospital or working as a phlebotomist so I can experience the atmosphere that I would be around a lot if I choose medicine and if it really is right for me. I also need a break from education, because in a career like medicine, there is no break!
    I admire you so much for this. I 100% agree as well, making decisions to go into medicine at like 16/17 on two weeks work exp is a bit... scary. Medics on here have said that they think med entry should only be post grad and tbh I think I agree. But post grad is so expensive and competitive atm. I guess you mature at a really fast rate once you're actually at med school that you're ready to be a dr stuff quite early, but still, it happens all so quickly.

ReputationRep:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.