The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quackers93
Hahaha! *high-5* we are actually so applicant twins cause I was exactly the same with my ukcat too! though cause i didnt have any idea, we got it moved back a week so i had slightly longer tho it did me no good really :tongue:

Wow I'm impressed at the work experience you got considering the time! I only got like a week! well and British Heart volunteering but still :tongue:

I meant to say when i first quoted you, its nice to see a familiar face.. or user name on here lol :h:

Original post by KCosmo
Applicant triplet! :tongue: It's cause we're cool! :tongue:

Haha, hopefully we all do better this year :tongue:

and Quackers, I'm quite amazed at how much I managed to get too :tongue:
Original post by KCosmo
applicant triplet! forgot to quote you in my above one :tongue:

Haha woo its like rejected reunited on here lol I was going to give you a positive rating but applrently I need to rather othe rpeople before i rate you again... so heres a verbal/visual +positive rating :biggrin:
Original post by rohitbd
That mustve been hard (i should start preparing for the worst)
Wow I saw your application on the profiles page and got so scared as your gcse are better than mine, all i think you need is a better ukcat,

I don't want to sound discouraging, but if you prepare for the worst, than any good news comes as a wonderful welcome surprise :biggrin: Though don't depress yourself, not a good road to go down :tongue: Yeah, I hoping its just my ukcat that pulled me down but more work experience never hurt anyone :biggrin:
Reply 223
When is the UKCAT? I think that is scaring me more than anything.
Does it differ between schools? And could it be during the summer holidays, because I am away for practically all of my summer... :/
I need a new hobby for this year, pretty much all of mine were at school - I don't do any sport anymore/won't do any when I officially leave school (unless you count Zumba...) and I quit the theatre group I was at.

Anyone got any suggestions what I can do?

Also: does it count if I say I teach myself Piano or is that just a wasted sentence in my PS. Actually, I could get piano lessons...but cba really
Original post by jordbick
Does it differ between schools? And could it be during the summer holidays, because I am away for practically all of my summer... :/

You don't do it via school, you book it yourself and sit it whenever at a Pearson Vue or whoever centre.

But you can sit it whenever you want from like July 5th til some time in September. But it's cheaper earlier.
Original post by jordbick

You book it for whenever you want :smile: There are a range of test centers around the country and they'll have particular days and particular times you can chose to suit you :smile: They do go on into september if you're away over the summer :smile:
Original post by atomos
I need a new hobby for this year, pretty much all of mine were at school - I don't do any sport anymore/won't do any when I officially leave school (unless you count Zumba...) and I quit the theatre group I was at.

Anyone got any suggestions what I can do?

Also: does it count if I say I teach myself Piano or is that just a wasted sentence in my PS. Actually, I could get piano lessons...but cba really

I'm exact same, only thing i did outside of college was a lifesaving club that closed down :l (why does money ruin everything :frown: ) I would consider putting the piano thing in because it shows you're keen to learn and using your own initiative by teaching yourself? I attempted to learn sign lanauge.. but didnt get very far as i didnt really have anyone to practise with cause i dont know anyone who knows sign lanuage. but i did learn the alphabet - wanted to include it as it showed i was trying to improve my communicational skills :tongue: and I've had the sudden realisiation i didnt put that in my ps whoops
Original post by liviaaa
Wow - you have all summer purely for revising for that! Stick to revising for your AS's!

I already have them. I finished school in 2008 :wink:
Reply 229
hoping to apply to sheffield, manchester, nottingham, and maybe liverpool but would prefer to apply to oxford, though there's no point if i won't get in,

gcses 9a* 4a 2 distinctions

got in jan, (ums marks btw), biology 86, physics (unit 2) 106, chemistry 87 maths 97 further maths 1 79 (retaking that in june) probs droping f maths next year, and we will be doing citizenship and the extended project

need more work experience but hospital experience is impossible to get (especially in rural areas), 5years in st john ambulance, long term voluntery of 3 hour in a elderly home, hoping to get more with disable children

access to medicine course too

do u think the unis are the right to apply,
only person in my year who wants to do medicine, and no ones been to oxbridge for years, need all the help i can get

please any hints or tips
I'm exact same, only thing i did outside of college was a lifesaving club that closed down :l (why does money ruin everything :frown: ) I would consider putting the piano thing in because it shows you're keen to learn and using your own initiative by teaching yourself? I attempted to learn sign lanauge.. but didnt get very far as i didnt really have anyone to practise with cause i dont know anyone who knows sign lanuage. but i did learn the alphabet - wanted to include it as it showed i was trying to improve my communicational skills :tongue: and I've had the sudden realisiation i didnt put that in my ps whoops

I suppose I could say something like that and mention I used to go to lessons and carry it on in my spare time (although that might make me sound like a quitter...) however these lessons were when I was eight...hmm... If only my mum was a pushy parent and forced me to Grade 8 on Piano! :rolleyes:

You should continue that, and put it on your PS though, that'd be quite a good thing to have
Reply 231
Original post by Bubbles2010
Perhaps, or maybe he didnt do as well as he hoped, but still met their cut off :s-smilie: Imperial are strange with such things, and for some reason, i dont think they look at your grades much (I had 11A*s at GCSE, 6As at AS, and predicted 5A*s)

He got 10 A* at GCSE and 6 A's also at A level. Hmm maybe he had more extra curriclaur / work experience?
Reply 232
Why the neg? I was simply saying I can't realistically put down Cambridge/Oxford, UCL, Imperial, and St Andrews as my four options :confused:
Reply 233
Oh and I started trying the exercises in the 600 UKCAT questions book, I thought I was destined to fail it after the first one, then realised you are allowed calculators :colondollar:

lol, i did exactly the same thing :smile:
Original post by atomos
I suppose I could say something like that and mention I used to go to lessons and carry it on in my spare time (although that might make me sound like a quitter...) however these lessons were when I was eight...hmm... If only my mum was a pushy parent and forced me to Grade 8 on Piano! :rolleyes:

You should continue that, and put it on your PS though, that'd be quite a good thing to have

Funnily enough I got my inspiration to really do it from Scrubs because the janitor could do it haha (dunno if you watch scrubs :tongue: ) I think it'd be alright, particularly if it was because you were 8. Also it shows that you're not doing it just to get a grade or something out of it, you're doing it because you have a genuine interest. I play keyboard by ear so i dont really think i can put it down, but if they asked in interview what do you do in spare time to relax you could use it then :smile:
Reply 235
Original post by cz100
Why the neg? I was simply saying I can't realistically put down Cambridge/Oxford, UCL, Imperial, and St Andrews as my four options :confused:

You have insanely good GCSE's though. You could always just put your 4th as a safer one?
Reply 236
Good luck everyone! I've been looking through the threads around here and it's been quite a suprise to see some amazing people being turned down from universities. It's making me really nervous. I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Maths (going to drop Maths) and I've just ordered the 600 questions UKCAT book.
I've also been checking out some of the university websites and I really like Edinburgh. I'm planning to visit the city in the summer as well as some other universities.
One thing I am worried about though is volunteering and work experience. I thought I'd be alright as I've done a bit of both (and learnt from it) but after reading about various medical applicants on TSR, I've realised that I haven't really done enough.. :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
Funnily enough I got my inspiration to really do it from Scrubs because the janitor could do it haha (dunno if you watch scrubs :tongue: ) I think it'd be alright, particularly if it was because you were 8. Also it shows that you're not doing it just to get a grade or something out of it, you're doing it because you have a genuine interest. I play keyboard by ear so i dont really think i can put it down, but if they asked in interview what do you do in spare time to relax you could use it then :smile:

SCRUBS IS AWESOME.

Lol, sometimes when I'm learning a song, because I'm really slow at doing it from the actual sheet music because it's been so long since I properly did piano, I give up and look at tutorials on youtube.......but the uni's dont need to know that :wink:
Reply 238
Original post by liviaaa
You have insanely good GCSE's though. You could always just put your 4th as a safer one?

Thanks. I think I'll put down 2 at the most out of that list. I feel that ASs are a big step up and also I can't get as much work experience as others
Original post by Angury
Good luck everyone! I've been looking through the threads around here and it's been quite a suprise to see some amazing people being turned down from universities. It's making me really nervous. I'm currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Maths (going to drop Maths) and I've just ordered the 600 questions UKCAT book.
I've also been checking out some of the university websites and I really like Edinburgh. I'm planning to visit the city in the summer as well as some other universities.
One thing I am worried about though is volunteering and work experience. I thought I'd be alright as I've done a bit of both (and learnt from it) but after reading about various applicants on TSR, I've realised that I haven't really done enough.. :P

Just as long as you're able to speak about what you gained from your work experience and what you learned, rather than making it a list, you'll be fine :smile: