Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thescorchedman)
    Hey, it seems that I am "fashionably" late for this forum. Also a medical applicant, so props to my you all.
    So, how's everyone going to chillax after exams?H
    I'm going to Namibia for 3 weeks woo! bringing my trust ukcat revision with me :emo: lol... Im learning from my mistakes ... actually revise before ukcat and take it seriously it will almost definatly help :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwesomeAkhilesh)
    Surely medicine is all about remembering a **** load of facts? yeah,chem is okay but bio ftw :cool:
    In some areas, like anatomy, yeah. There comes a time when one needs to start thinking their way through problems, and Chemistry is rather good for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOD13)
    In some areas, like anatomy, yeah. There comes a time when one needs to start thinking their way through problems, and Chemistry is rather good for that
    I'd like to be a surgeon of some sort one day

Hence,probably going to apply to KCL (ukcat dependant)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    I'm going Germany for work experience :dance: (and chilling out as well of course :ninja:)
    Oooo! A german hospital?

ReputationRep:
    Oooo! A german hospital?
    Yeah

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to be a surgeon of some sort one day

Hence,probably going to apply to KCL (ukcat dependant)
    Ah ok nice, any idea what sort?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOD13)
    Apparently orthopaedic surgeons get sh*t loads of money! (and neurosurgeons as well of course)

ReputationRep:
    Apparently orthopaedic surgeons get sh*t loads of money! (and neurosurgeons as well of course)
    I want to be an orthopod I'm great at putting up shelves and everything...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOD13)
    I want to be an orthopod I'm great at putting up shelves and everything...
    LOL yeah - glorified carpenters :ninja: :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOD13)
    Cardio-thoracics..something to do with the heart basically.. it would be a dream to perform a heart transplant!

ReputationRep:
    LOL yeah - glorified carpenters :ninja: :getmecoat:
    There is something very cool about it all though, I'm torn between the heart and bones

ReputationRep:
    Yeah
    Oh how I envy thee! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Cardio-thoracics..something to do with the heart basically.. it would be a dream to perform a heart transplant!
    The heart is awesome, the physiology involved is all very clever lol

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here want to do pathology? :ninjagirl:
    most people I talk to want to do paediatrics or surgery stuff, and I seem to be the weird one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    most people I talk to want to do paediatrics or surgery stuff, and I seem to be the weird one
    Isn't that what coroners do? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)

A very small group of forensic pathologists actually deal with dead people. The majority of pathogists in the NHS are haematologists, microbiologists, histopathologists etc They deal with biopsies and sample to diagnose/identify viruses and the like. They also have a clinical role with infection control, blood disorders etc

Have a look at the Royal College of Pathologists website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    A very small group of forensic pathologists actually deal with dead people. The majority of pathogists in the NHS are haematologists, microbiologists, histopathologists etc They deal with biopsies and sample to diagnose/identify viruses and the like. They also have a clinical role with infection control, blood disorders etc

Have a look at the Royal College of Pathologists website.
    What do haematologists do? Are they in the laboratory carrying out blood tests and such stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I did research on the different jobs as part of our LLW coursework last year. Apparently the most asked question is 'isn't pathology all about dead bodies?' but it's actually not. I still get lots of raised eyebrows if I say I want to do pathology, since everyone does seem to think it's all about dead people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    Nah, I did research on the different jobs as part of our LLW coursework last year. Apparently the most asked question is 'isn't pathology all about dead bodies?' but it's actually not. I still get lots of raised eyebrows if I say I want to do pathology, since everyone does seem to think it's all about dead people.
    So what is it actually about?

ReputationRep:
    So what is it actually about?
    They'd test all the samples and stuff, help decide on treatments, maybe research more into the disease. I hadn't looked that deep into it but I think that's the general idea.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.