Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    They'd test all the samples and stuff, help decide on treatments, maybe research more into the disease. I hadn't looked that deep into it but I think that's the general idea.
    So less patient contact, and more into the medical research side of things I assume?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    What do haematologists do? Are they in the laboratory carrying out blood tests and such stuff?

So what is it actually about?
    Haematology is the study of blood and it's disorders. They are involved in the care and treatment of patients with blood related disorders such as haemophilia, blood malignancies like lymphomas and leukemia and also dealing with bone marrow.

They are usually based out of laboratories where they interpret blood films and tests to provide diagnoses. They are far from totally lab bound, they do have to go and see the patients and actively manage their care

Pathology is the study of disease, which basically means that they study the microscopic bacteria/viruses/cancers/cells that cause disease.

ReputationRep:
    So less patient contact, and more into the medical research side of things I assume?
    I suppose so, but I read that they are going on more ward visits. It's the science side that really appealed to me as well being able to treat at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    Well obviously less than say a GP. No specialty is allowed to hide in the lab anymore, pathologists do see patients.

You will have to do a lot of research whatever field you choose, it cannot be escaped, not if you want to reach consultant anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Well obviously less than say a GP. No specialty is allowed to hide in the lab anymore, pathologists do see patients.

You will have to do a lot of research whatever field you choose, it cannot be escaped, not if you want to reach consultant anyway.
    You're like the medical job database! :eek:

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    You're like the medical job database! :eek:

:cool:
    haha not quite You pick up a lot once you start. Every lecturer likes to plug their own specialty

ReputationRep:
    haha not quite You pick up a lot once you start. Every lecturer likes to plug their own specialty
    Do all consultants do some sort of teaching, e.g. teaching undergraduates?

ReputationRep:
    Just booked my UKCAT for 24th of August. Eek!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of them will do, especially if they are attached to a teaching hospital

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stegosaurus)
    Just booked my UKCAT for 24th of August. Eek!
    Dude, thanks for reminding me - I signed up yesterday, forgot to book the actual test though!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as already said, most do some form of teaching or assessment. Lots of junior doctors and registrars are involved in teaching too (it looks good on the old CV :rolleyes:)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah as already said, most do some form of teaching or assessment. Lots of junior doctors and registrars are involved in teaching too (it looks good on the old CV :rolleyes:)
    And some of them seem to know a hell of a lot more than their superiors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOD13)
    And some of them seem to know a hell of a lot more than their superiors
    Probably because they have a number of incentives to stay at the top of their game, as opposed to worrying about when they can get to the golf course.

ReputationRep:
    Probably because they have a number of incentives to stay at the top of their game, as opposed to worrying about when they can get to the golf course.
    I don't know, lowering the golf handicap is very important for advancing up the surgical ladder

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BOD13)
    I don't know, lowering the golf handicap is very important for advancing up the surgical ladder
    Squash tends to help as well I've found

ReputationRep:
    Squash tends to help as well I've found
    :lolwut:

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

:confused:
    The game....Squash....with racquets

Lots of doctors used to play at my club.

ReputationRep:
    The game....Squash....with racquets

Lots of doctors used to play at my club.
    :rolleyes: I know that lol

You go to a squash club? :cool:

Hopefully a few friends and I are going to be coaching beginners' snooker at the primary school I went to

Hopefully that'll boost up my personal statement a bit :dance:

ReputationRep:
    :rolleyes: I know that lol

You go to a squash club? :cool:

Hopefully a few friends and I are going to be coaching beginners' snooker at the primary school I went to

Hopefully that'll boost up my personal statement a bit :dance:
    Well no but I used to at home

Where's the cue ball going? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Well no but I used to at home

Where's the cue ball going? :eek:
    You actually had a squash club near you? I thought you lived in the middle of nowhere! :eek:

John Virgo

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.