Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quackers93)
    When I booked mine last year loads of times and places were free near me. I even cancelled and rebooked mine for a week later and I still got the nearest test center and time that suited me
    The thing is I'm not sure whether the places have been taken, or whether the system hasnt updated as booking only just opened today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Depends how far you want to travel I didn't know anything about the UKCAT till the September I applied and ended up having to travel 100 miles :rolleyes:
    The thing is I'm not sure whether the places have been taken, or whether the system hasnt updated as booking only just opened today

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rassam)
    I couldn't worry about it too much atm, could check again tomorrow. I don't think they would be completely booked up unless you come from an area of uber-keen people. Not everyone will do it today so you should be alright

ReputationRep:
    eh booking opening? already? time flies...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rassam)
    Probably the latter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jadio)
    I quite fancy pathology - histo or heamatology.
    When I worked in an immunology lab, the immunologist spent more time with patients than in the lab - about 80% I'd say, she ran lots of clinics and had good relationships with her patients as they had long lasting conditions, and she got to deal with every stage of the diagnosis/ treatment which I thought seemed like something I'd enjoy (ie/ she met with them, decided on the tests they needed, sometimes ran the tests - {although very very occasionally to be fair} and then decided on treatment)

So yeah we'll be weird together
    :five:
    I'm very unlikely to get to see the labs though, I got the number of the lab manager but he said it would be difficult for health & safety and insurances things because they have human samples etc

ReputationRep:
    I spent some time flitting about a pathology department. It was pretty interesting, and I watched many a "cut-up". (I've forgotten the name of the procedure, but it's basically where they briskly dissect organs to check the cancers"). I also spent some time in the mortuary. that was interesting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Dude, thanks for reminding me - I signed up yesterday, forgot to book the actual test though!
    No problem mate. I was a bit annoyed at having to pay £65 until I realised that'll probably be the cheapest part of the entirety of my medical training

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stegosaurus)
    No problem mate. I was a bit annoyed at having to pay £65 until I realised that'll probably be the cheapest part of the entirety of my medical training
    Well my medical education is free so....

EDIT: Brilliant neg, clearly it was me personally that instituted Scotland's fiscal policy.

ReputationRep:
    And you get to be rich when older

Not fair :puppyeyes:

Joke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    And you get to be rich when older

Not fair :puppyeyes:

Joke
    Haha well I don't make the rules.

ReputationRep:
    Haha well I don't make the rules.
    Anyway - I've got a head-splitting headache at the moment, so I'm gonna go to bed now :yawn:

Night

ReputationRep:
    Well how wonderful to be you

Still don't know how much mine's likely to be since the Scottish unis still don't appear to have published their tuition fee details but I think I'm probably deluding myself if I let myself believe it'll be less than £9000 PA

(Original post by SteveCrain)
    I spent some time flitting about a pathology department.
    How did you get on with the smell? The last time I went to a mortuary (you know, as you do) the only thing I had a real problem with was the horrible sickly-sweet disinfectant-y smell. Bleugh.

ReputationRep:
    Well how wonderful to be you

Still don't know how much mine's likely to be since the Scottish unis still don't appear to have published their tuition fee details but I think I'm probably deluding myself if I let myself believe it'll be less than £9000 PA

How did you get on with the smell? The last time I went to a mortuary (you know, as you do) the only thing I had a real problem with was the horrible sickly-sweet disinfectant-y smell. Bleugh.
    Well I highly doubt public opinion would let them charge>£9000 pa.

ReputationRep:
    Well I highly doubt public opinion would let them charge>£9000 pa.
    Is public opinion likely to affect them though? If any course is going to cost nine grand then it almost makes sense that it should be medicine.

ReputationRep:
    Is public opinion likely to affect them though? If any course is going to cost nine grand then it almost makes sense that it should be medicine.
    The Govenment will do what they want, even if it means making our profession solely accessible to the well off.

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't personally care less about university fees. I'm not rich, but I can pay them off for the rest of my life for all I care- so long as I manage to become a doctor. In fact, if it puts people off medicine, then that's a good thing for me.

ReputationRep:
    for the ukat if i register now do i have to do it within 90 days. i dont want to do it untill august so is it okay to wait until june to register?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Does anyone know where I can find out if I'm an international student or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rsp)
    for the ukat if i register now do i have to do it within 90 days. i dont want to do it untill august so is it okay to wait until june to register?
    90 days from now is in August surely? :confused: Or do you want to book it for the end of August? If so then yeah, it's fine to wait a while before booking.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.