Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thescorchedman)
    That's pretty amazing man.
    I'm off to India, to do some work experience there.
    But mostly, I'm going to be chilling so hard, it'll be like I'm frozen. :cool:
    You know life's dull, when you actually laugh at that :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Am I losing a neat little portion of my vision or has that topic with "2012 applicant profiles" in been deleted?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going blind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Over 5 months, no?

15th October 2011
    We are not going to apply on the last date..are we? :-P I didnt include this month because it has already started and as many people may start applying in September,I assume 3 months are left.. Well! Thats how I am looking at it right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cute_wish)
    We are not going to apply on the last date..are we? :-P I didnt include this month because it has already started and as many people may start applying in September,I assume 3 months are left.. Well! Thats how I am looking at it right now
    Ahh - I think my school sends off the Medical/Dental and Oxbridge applications off on the 1st of October (or the nearest weekday to that date)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JChoudhry)
    Well, I used to live in NYC, so that kinda helped :p: But apart from that, I just typed in in my case, ''NYC Hospitals'' and just checked up on the volunteering section with e-mails. Most don't reply back, so you have to call. :rolleyes:
    Oh okay I'll try that , my first time going America hopefully , should be interesting. Tell me about it , hospitals here are just ...

I had to chase them up for months to get my one week placement sorted out , even then the people I was meant to be working with magically dissappeared . Had to look for any walking doctor in the hospital to shadow Guess I improved on my communication skills there eh aha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sumsum123)
    Oh okay I'll try that , my first time going America hopefully , should be interesting. Tell me about it , hospitals here are just ...

I had to chase them up for months to get my one week placement sorted out , even then the people I was meant to be working with magically dissappeared . Had to look for any walking doctor in the hospital to shadow Guess I improved on my communication skills there eh aha
    Ooh, whereabouts are you going? I may be able to help possibly if it's NYC.

The only reason I got a placement last year was because my mum knew someone who knew someone who worked there :indiff:

It's not about what you know, it's about who you know :sad:
    Yeah, and I know no one :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, whereabouts are you going? I may be able to help possibly if it's NYC.
    Erm , my city recalling isnt up to scratch . I think it was Seattle or San francisco? Definitly , not NYC ... arhh ,though I am most of all looking forward to going to an American Mcdonalds ahah , want to see whether it is actually true about the size of the food

ReputationRep:
    The only reason I got a placement last year was because my mum knew someone who knew someone who worked there :indiff:

It's not about what you know, it's about who you know :sad:
    I agree so unfair :/ i waslucky and had an extended extended family link

I'm going America to do work experience (hopefully) :p:
    ... and I thought Wales was far to go :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone & everyone doing AQA biology confirm this.

In the AQA textbook and on the syllabus, in relation to factors affecting transpiration rate, the higher the temp the greater the rate of transpiration, because, and here I quote the textbook, higher temperatures decreases the amount of water air can hold

However, after a bit of googling, this seems to be false, the opposite to what's actually the case, in fact. Can anyone clear this up? Have you been taught this? It's not a printing error?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteveCrain)

In the AQA textbook and on the syllabus, in relation to factors affecting transpiration rate, the higher the temp the greater the rate of transpiration, because, and here I quote the textbook, higher temperatures decreases the amount of water air can hold

However, after a bit of googling, this seems to be false, the opposite to what's actually the case, in fact. Can anyone clear this up? Have you been taught this? It's not a printing error?
    I'd ask your teacher tbh. I'm on OCR and theres a fair few mistakes in it :/

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering what everyone here got in their January exams?
    My grades were:
    Maths - A 82/100 UMS
    Biology - A 75/90 UMS
    Chemistry - C 80/120 UMS, retaking this in the summer
    Psychology - A 64/90 UMS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamal_Dirie)
    Just wondering what everyone here got in their January exams?
    My grades were:
    Maths - A 82/100 UMS
    Biology - A 75/90 UMS
    Chemistry - C 80/120 UMS, retaking this in the summer
    Psychology - A 64/90 UMS
    AQA Biology Unit 1 - A 80/100 UMS
    AQA Chemistry Unit 1 - A 94/100 UMS

ReputationRep:
    Ahh - I think my school sends off the Medical/Dental and Oxbridge applications off on the 1st of October (or the nearest weekday to that date)
    I see.i dont think my college has specific time to send applications.infact my careers advisor told me to send it when i feel is the right time but it better be not the last date or the day before.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just booking my UKCAT now - didn't realise it was so expensive! £80!! Ouch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kateamelia)
    I'm just booking my UKCAT now - didn't realise it was so expensive! £80!! Ouch.
    It's only* £65 if you book it for before September I think - I booked mine on the 25th August and only paid £65.

* Only's not the right word...

Let's just say it's £15 cheaper :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It's only* £65 if you book it for before September I think - I booked mine on the 25th August and only paid £65.

* Only's not the right word...

Let's just say it's £15 cheaper :rolleyes:
    Ohh I see, hmm, I may change the date to the 30th of August then .
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:

The transpiration rate increases as the temp increases because water is evaporating from the leafs measophyll cells at a faster rate than it would at lower temps . this means that the water evaporated must be replaced by water, so water moves by osmosis to the measophyll cells thus increasing the rate of transpiration. < this is a bit rough put its the jist of what opens... hope it helps.

ReputationRep:

High temp > water on leaves evaporate > lower water potential outside leaves than inside > water moves out of cells by osmosis > water pull (cohesion tension theory) due to hydrogen bonds in water > water pulled up > increase in rate of transpiration.

ReputationRep:
    High temp > water on leaves evaporate > lower water potential outside leaves than inside > water moves out of cells by osmosis > water pull (cohesion tension theory) due to hydrogen bonds in water > water pulled up > increase in rate of transpiration.
    yeh but check the book, specifically the part where it says, "increasing temp decreases amount of water air can hold". This is, apparently, not true.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.