Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sixthformer)
    thanks

may i ask, how do i improve my communication?

=/ this may sound silly, i have old family members, but i don't know how to relate to or talk to them

as in, what if they don't like me, ignore me, are racist?

how can i stop it being akward?
    I've had all of the above reactions in the care home-plus lots of sexual advances! and many thought I was girl as I have longish hair! it will teach you self-control, patience and perseverance! other options are debating at school, helping in a refugee centre, doing sja or scouts/guides (had to put that or sosexy..would complain)
    my school had good local links or else there are voulunteer websites which list local places you an go to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conorcd)
    last year I got offers from Newcastle, Manchester and Leeds (rejected by southampton as applied to 6 year course aand they said should have applied to 5 year course) but missed my chemistry grade. This year I got offers from Newc, Leeds, Durham. HYMS
    I have 3A*S, 8As, 2 Cs for gcse, got BCCD for AS level (luckily we didn't have to declare them)and finally I have AAA for A Level.
    I got 672.5 in ukcat last year and 682.5 this year so I used that to my advantage. I'm off to Newcastle in Sept.
    your plans seem really good-wish I'd been that organised. also try to do any debating, mentoring stuff in school in sixth form as demonstrating good communication skills helps too.
    Wow! thats fantastic! well done! why didnt you have to declare your AS levels? Your UKCAT is amazing too :L yeah, i plan to run for head boy in upper 6th, would that sufffice? cheers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dominic1994)
    Wow! thats fantastic! well done! why didnt you have to declare your AS levels? Your UKCAT is amazing too :L yeah, i plan to run for head boy in upper 6th, would that sufffice? cheers!
    head boy is a popularity contest.

i know this as we had to vote for ours

if i ran, hardly anyone would vote for me

i don't think they'd choose amongst candidates like that

but it helps in leader ship ect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conorcd)
    I've had all of the above reactions in the care home-plus lots of sexual advances! and many thought I was girl as I have longish hair! it will teach you self-control, patience and perseverance! other options are debating at school, helping in a refugee centre, doing sja or scouts/guides (had to put that or sosexy..would complain)
    my school had good local links or else there are voulunteer websites which list local places you an go to.
    thank you

any advise

what did you have to do, when did you have to do it, ect

thanks!

what other places did you do experience?

ReputationRep:
    I am getting genuinely confused about where to apply.

At first I was thinking of London unis, just because it's quite practical, all good, but now thinking of others. I just feel like I'm being a bit random with my choices, I know you're supposed to apply smart, but I don't know how to properly cross any off, the only reason I'm ruling any places out at the moment is because I don't want to go to a particular city.

I feel like I can't properly decide until I've done the UKCAT :erm: don't knowwww.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oHellno)
    I am getting genuinely confused about where to apply.

At first I was thinking of London unis, just because it's quite practical, all good, but now thinking of others. I just feel like I'm being a bit random with my choices, I know you're supposed to apply smart, but I don't know how to properly cross any off, the only reason I'm ruling any places out at the moment is because I don't want to go to a particular city.

I feel like I can't properly decide until I've done the UKCAT :erm: don't knowwww.
    You have to 'apply smart' i.e the ones you think are most likely to get you to interview. But you also have to apply to the places that you want to go to.

There is no point in applying to somewhere you don't really want to go to (medicine is medicine wherever you go, but you want to be comfortable )

Have a read of some prospectuses, forget geography for a while. Check out Scottish and NI unis, think of the cheaper fees Visit as many places as you can.

ReputationRep:
    The only uni I've can visit is Queen's, and I'm not even applying there.
    On another note quite excited for work exp now, found out I'll be staying in one of the doctors' flats, so I'll really get to taste life as a doc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    The only uni I've can visit is Queen's, and I'm not even applying there.
    On another note quite excited for work exp now, found out I'll be staying in one of the doctors' flats, so I'll really get to taste life as a doc
    awsome, best of luck

could you explain what you mean by staying in a doctors flat?

many thanks!

ReputationRep:
    awsome, best of luck

many thanks!
    Maybe it's a flat....that some junior doctors are sharing in....

No. That would be too obvious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Maybe it's a flat....that some junior doctors are sharing in....

No. That would be too obvious
    it sounds like a medical workshop or somesort?

ReputationRep:
    awsome, best of luck

many thanks!
    I'm staying in hospital accommodation, and by that they mean flats which usually doctors stay in but there is a room for me during that week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    I'm staying in hospital accommodation, and by that they mean flats which usually doctors stay in but there is a room for me during that week.
    where is this at? Medlink or something similar?

many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    Be prepared for the worst....

ReputationRep:

many thanks
    No just work exp in a hospital. Don't have £300 to blow. Have to pay for flights and food myself but accommodation is free and so is the airport transfer. I feel so lucky to have it and kinda made up for getting rejected from both summer schools.

ReputationRep:

many thanks
    Her work experience placement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TooSexyForMyStethoscope)
    Be prepared for the worst....
    Well I did get told there's a kitchen and shower/toilet shared with up to 3 others... First thing my friend asked me was if there was a lock for the shower and when I said I didn't know she told me to bring blue tack and an 'OCCUPIED' sign

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    Well I did get told there's a kitchen and shower/toilet shared with up to 3 others... First thing my friend asked me was if there was a lock for the shower and when I said I didn't know she told me to bring blue tack and an 'OCCUPIED' sign
    lol. It will be fine I'm sure....I just don't trust the NHS...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    Sounds awesome I remember how when I was doing my work exp. at a hospital at the lunch break all the doctors went to the doctors mess, which is a room where they just chill and have a break, and I went too and they had like a flat screen TV, table tennis tables, snooker tables etc. Was a pretty kool place

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    Sounds awesome I remember how when I was doing my work exp. at a hospital at the lunch break all the doctors went to the doctors mess, which is a room where they just chill and have a break, and I went too and they had like a flat screen TV, table tennis tables, snooker tables etc. Was a pretty kool place
    you are kidding me?

DOES EVERY DOCTOR GET THIS?!

what about a swimming pool

ReputationRep:
    you are kidding me?

DOES EVERY DOCTOR GET THIS?!

what about a swimming pool
    Noo I'm serious! And this was in the hospital area where I went for work exp. so I don't know if every doctor has such a place. And no not a swimming pool indoors :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.