Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    Damn I couldn't hack 8 hours, when I went in the Easter I did 3 hours and it's all I could manage :rolleyes: You going back tomorrow? And btw where you thinking of applying?
    Yup, and Friday. But probably for less time, today was longer because it was first day apparently.

I'm thinking Leeds, Birmingham, 1 BMAT (probably Oxford, depends on UMS though), and probably Leicester, but the last one is likely to change or something. I'm just doing it by location/chances of getting in right now, I should really research the courses and the other important stuff behind the decision. Hopefully if I get a good UKCAT, then I'll be able to put Sheffield or Newcastle as my last one, we'll have to see. How about you, where you thinking of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    Yup, and Friday. But probably for less time, today was longer because it was first day apparently.

I'm thinking Leeds, Birmingham, 1 BMAT (probably Oxford, depends on UMS though), and probably Leicester, but the last one is likely to change or something. I'm just doing it by location/chances of getting in right now, I should really research the courses and the other important stuff behind the decision. Hopefully if I get a good UKCAT, then I'll be able to put Sheffield or Newcastle as my last one, we'll have to see. How about you, where you thinking of?
    Kool, all the best Oh yeah they do that.

And nice, presuming you have solid GCSE's if your doing B'ham? And kool, do Sheffield and Newcastle have high UKCAT cut offs? And I'm thinking of probs 2 BMAT units, perhaps Cambridge and UCL, and 1 or 2 UKCAT unis, maybe Kings and dunno about the 4th option, need to go to some open days and do some research soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    Kool, all the best Oh yeah they do that.

And nice, presuming you have solid GCSE's if your doing B'ham? And kool, do Sheffield and Newcastle have high UKCAT cut offs? And I'm thinking of probs 2 BMAT units, perhaps Cambridge and UCL, and 1 or 2 UKCAT unis, maybe Kings and dunno about the 4th option, need to go to some open days and do some research soon!
    Thanks man.

They scrape into the Birmingham requirements tbh, but people like Gozatron have got in with similar so that gives hope. Yeah, Sheffield's cut off is 715/717 apparently, Newcastle like it a lot too, I don't know their cut off/selection process. I don't really have the means or the will to live in London, and I doubt my UMS scores will be good enough for Cambridge, so Oxford would have to be my BMAT uni. I'm probably gonna go to two or three in the next few weeks, I've only been round Leeds (not open day) and Nottingham (not open day) so far.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks man.

They scrape into the Birmingham requirements tbh, but people like Gozatron have got in with similar so that gives hope. Yeah, Sheffield's cut off is 715/717 apparently, Newcastle like it a lot too, I don't know their cut off/selection process. I don't really have the means or the will to live in London, and I doubt my UMS scores will be good enough for Cambridge, so Oxford would have to be my BMAT uni. I'm probably gonna go to two or three in the next few weeks, I've only been round Leeds (not open day) and Nottingham (not open day) so far.
    No prob

Still must be solid, and fair enough. Wow seems high as the average is 600! Is Sheffield considered one of the best med schools? And I'm not sure if mine will be good enough for Cambridge either, but surely if you just ace the BMAT and have a good interview it will all be good? And yeah same here, ain't been to many yet. You booked your UKCAT exam? Also be right back, Apprentice time

ReputationRep:
    noob question but what is the UKCAT score out of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Jasmine)
    Think highest is 900 and lowest is 200

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Jasmine)
    Scores in each subsection range from 900 to 300, with 600 set as the average. Typical scores range between 500 and 700, however Sheffield's cutoff this year was 717.5 I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    Scores in each subsection range from 900 to 300, with 600 set as the average. Typical scores range between 500 and 700, however Sheffield's cutoff this year was 717.5 I think.
    I see, thank you! Well I want to apply at Edinburgh but they say the UKCAT is only worth 8 percent of your application, but when you look at offers given, 56% were for those in the top quartile, and they even say that the UKCAT score is a "decisive factor". 717.5 is quite high though if 600 is the average!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    No prob

Still must be solid, and fair enough. Wow seems high as the average is 600! Is Sheffield considered one of the best med schools? And I'm not sure if mine will be good enough for Cambridge either, but surely if you just ace the BMAT and have a good interview it will all be good? And yeah same here, ain't been to many yet. You booked your UKCAT exam? Also be right back, Apprentice time
    I've heard a theory somewhere that the actual average is somewhere around 620 - the result for each raw mark is set beforehand, so they have no way of calculating a national average. Hence, they do it on last year's mark, and every year that goes by, people theoretically improve, so that means that it's above the preset average mark? Some weird bull**** tbh. It's not usually, as far as I know, it's respected and all though. It's just their way of choosing tbh, like Birmingham want their A*s. I haven't booked mine, will do later...

ReputationRep:
    I've heard a theory somewhere that the actual average is somewhere around 620 - the result for each raw mark is set beforehand, so they have no way of calculating a national average. Hence, they do it on last year's mark, and every year that goes by, people theoretically improve, so that means that it's above the preset average mark? Some weird bull**** tbh. It's not usually, as far as I know, it's respected and all though. It's just their way of choosing tbh, like Birmingham want their A*s. I haven't booked mine, will do later...
    How do you book it ?

ReputationRep:
    Oh didn't know that, and hmm sounds a bit weird. And that would make sense if they went by that system which would be strange. And alright then, and yeah fair enough, you started any UKCAT revision yet? And haha yeah same here, just cba at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JChoudhry)
    Hi!
    Hello :hi:

All my exams have finished, so I've been stalking the medicine forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sablarrr)
    Hello :hi:

All my exams have finished, so I've been stalking the medicine forum
    I still have 3 to go :p: :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JChoudhry)
    I still have 3 to go :p: :sad:
    Aww :console:

Which exams have you got? Also, I never knew you wanted to do medicine! Which med schools are you thinking of applying to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sablarrr)
    Aww :console:

Which exams have you got? Also, I never knew you wanted to do medicine! Which med schools are you thinking of applying to?
    Oh well. Only until the 26th before I'm free :woo:

I've got FP2, M2 and S2 :o:

Applying for Barts, Kings, Imperial, UCL Oxbridge.

4 From those :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    Oh didn't know that, and hmm sounds a bit weird. And that would make sense if they went by that system which would be strange. And alright then, and yeah fair enough, you started any UKCAT revision yet? And haha yeah same here, just cba at the moment.
    Nope, none. Got two exams left, FP1 and M1, will do everything to do with application after that. Hbu, you done with exams?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, none. Got two exams left, FP1 and M1, will do everything to do with application after that. Hbu, you done with exams?
    You do 5 AS levels? :eek: And kool, and yeah finished on the 6th

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nator)
    You do 5 AS levels? :eek: And kool, and yeah finished on the 6th
    Maybe 6, including general studies :eek: But nah, I'm doing FP1 for the heck of it really, mistakenly entered myself into the exam and costs too much to un-enter. However, if I get a good score in it (which I won't) then I might do the other required modules for Further Maths next year. Unlikely because I won't get a good score (got around 20/72 in my mock) and because I asked the medicine forum and by general consensus, FM AS is the most useless thing you can do apart from FM A2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cleoleo)
    How do you book it ?
    No idea, go to their website.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.