Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatwasfast)
    how did you get work experience with a consultant?

cheers
    My college holds a work shadowing scheme for one week, and they arranged it all! So I just got lucky, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sablarrr)
    My college holds a work shadowing scheme for one week, and they arranged it all! So I just got lucky, I suppose.
    You have such a good college. Ours has scheme for 2 days and we have to arrange it by ourselves. I feel so lucky to get one for the summer, at least my school's quite supportive with writing references etc, but we have to get the contacts ourself. I think I emailed virtually ever trust in the country that had some sort of shadowing scheme that's not limited to local students

ReputationRep:
    how did you get work experience with a consultant?

cheers
    I shadowed one for a week, managed to arrange it by just emailing him and arranging it several months in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    I shadowed one for a week, managed to arrange it by just emailing him and arranging it several months in advance.
    it's very difficult to get work experience to be honest.

I'm not travelling past my town to be honest. But i will apply to anything relevant inside it

I don't think i'd benifit travelling 4 hours just to do admin work, but i may bear it if it's just 10 mins walk

=/ tough to get in , tough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    You have such a good college. Ours has scheme for 2 days and we have to arrange it by ourselves. I feel so lucky to get one for the summer, at least my school's quite supportive with writing references etc, but we have to get the contacts ourself. I think I emailed virtually ever trust in the country that had some sort of shadowing scheme that's not limited to local students
    That must have taken ages Yeah, it's a really good scheme and we have a fair amount of potential medics (~60ish this year), so competition for work placements arranged by college is pretty intense, due to the limited numbers. It also helps if you have contacts of course, and once again, I was fortunate to arrange some hospital work experience by using these contacts. But as long as you have some - that's all that matters.

ReputationRep:
    That must have taken ages Yeah, it's a really good scheme and we have a fair amount of potential medics (~60ish this year), so competition for work placements arranged by college is pretty intense, due to the limited numbers. It also helps if you have contacts of course, and once again, I was fortunate to arrange some hospital work experience by using these contacts. But as long as you have some - that's all that matters.
    me and most of my friends do not have any contacts, or any medical members in our family

i sat with a university admissions person that our school arranged, and he also agreed that people who get the best placements usually have "their daddies are doctors"

you and i, are lucky to get any tbh. but we must be persistent, and keep trying.

i applied a 9 months ago, and was rejected! my friend too...

i started earlier than most , yet, have got none lol.

but i'll make sure i am not disadvantaged, even if it means i have to annoy the hospitals lol

ReputationRep:
    it's very difficult to get work experience to be honest.

I'm not travelling past my town to be honest. But i will apply to anything relevant inside it

I don't think i'd benifit travelling 4 hours just to do admin work, but i may bear it if it's just 10 mins walk

=/ tough to get in , tough
    Mine was a £10 train every day, as well as a 6 miles walk each day, leaving at 7am and getting the train home at 6pm. It was worth it though as I got to see a lot of really interesting things and learnt an awful lot.

ReputationRep:
    60 in your year?!?! Wow, in our year there's about 12 and that's the biggest it's been. I heard from people in the year above us that our careers teacher said to them that our year's a bit delusional about getting in

ReputationRep:
    Mine was a £10 train every day, as well as a 6 miles walk each day, leaving at 7am and getting the train home at 6pm. It was worth it though as I got to see a lot of really interesting things and learnt an awful lot.
    Mine is a >£150 return flight, but still a bit less than Medsim etc

ReputationRep:
    Nice determined

I work hard, try, and leave it to God, for he can grant me success, and failiure.

I'll also apply and work hard, but after i do everything by all lawful means neccesary, i leave it to God.

=)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    Ouch, unlucky! So could you not arrange anything in Ireland at all (IIRC you are from NI)? Still, I can guarantee it's a lot more worthwhile than Medsim or any of those other scams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    yours is relevant work experience so totally worth it

ReputationRep:
    Ouch, unlucky! So could you not arrange anything in Ireland at all (IIRC you are from NI)? Still, I can guarantee it's a lot more worthwhile than Medsim or any of those other scams.
    agreed

ReputationRep:
    NI, so there is about 5 or 6 NHS Trusts in NI and the only ones who did WE used Charter, but that has to be done through school and you get one chance. I got a day in radiography from it, but some did get a week in surgery etc. But my teacher said arranging this myself can show dedication etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    60 in your year?!?! Wow, in our year there's about 12 and that's the biggest it's been. I heard from people in the year above us that our careers teacher said to them that our year's a bit delusional about getting in
    There's about eight in our year, who will/want to apply

this is out of around 300-350 ish students.

we have a good supportive 'ish' network

but , that's generic, our school is an academy, so it's new/we don't know about medical apps

my friends brother, was IMMENSE. he got a ukcat of greater than 700, great a/s grades, ect.

but he's about the best we'll ever have tbh

ReputationRep:
    guys, i just am wondering, has anyone applied to nursing homes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    Yeah, haha!! I go to a massive college though - there's about 900 - 1000 people in each year. And they're looking to expand... :eek:

I know what you mean by delusional :lol:, everyone wants to be a doctor in my year. :rolleyes:

edit: just saw your poster above - £150 to get to your work experience! My gosh, you poor sod.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    NI, so there is about 5 or 6 NHS Trusts in NI and the only ones who did WE used Charter, but that has to be done through school and you get one chance. I got a day in radiography from it, but some did get a week in surgery etc. But my teacher said arranging this myself can show dedication etc.
    Nice work, have you done it yet? You'll have to be careful when you write about it to try and show dedication but avoid making it look like you're trying to brag or name drop.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, haha!! I go to a massive college though - there's about 900 - 1000 people in each year. And they're looking to expand... :eek:

I know what you mean by delusional :lol:, everyone wants to be a doctor in my year. :rolleyes:
    i thought mine was huge

few people want to do medicine in mine, i'm probably the worst among them lol

hardly any of us, apart from this one girl(surprise surpise!) has gotten work experience.

the rest of us, are mainly guys and have gotten none, yet we applied and applied

=/ i don't have money, or experience of using trains lol.

ReputationRep:

whoa. Your year's bigger than my whole school.
    When we saw the list of people in the year below who signed up for medicine talks this year, we were just like 'I wonder how many of them will still be on that list next year...
    Nice work, have you done it yet? You'll have to be careful when you write about it to try and show dedication but avoid making it look like you're trying to brag or name drop.
    No it's in July. And I have no idea how I'm going to put it in my PS. We've handed in our first draft and from the little experience I've had it's already just under the 4000 limit. And WE is the biggest chunk.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.