The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Limitless
My parents are hardly at home. My dad is always on business trips abroad and my mum and sisters are usually out shopping. You say you will try hard but end up procrastinating.

Ahh true, I guess my parents are both at work until 6-7 when they come home they want to relax and they say I'm old enough and need to learn to self discpline myself
Hmm I know your right, I said that before GCSES and ended up procrastinating, but it's a viscious cycle. If you can't get out of it now, you'll find it harder the older you get. Especially if we make it to Medicine,we can't afford to procrastinate then at all
Original post by AishaTara
ohh gosh :frown: can a uni say to you that they think your good enough but they want to defer you rather than you doing defered entry

hmm, i don't know this, maybe , but you'll have to ask them:smile:

PS: any question you've asked previously, re-ask them to the university as i may be wrong!
Original post by fightersfight
i am right now lol, i should be doing UKCAT revision..=/

I should be sorting out my voluntary work and work experience. :tongue:
^^

guys, i don't mean to bring race, but for my own sociology study reasons, can i ask:

how many of you are asian?(chinese/indian/pakistani)

thanks! i just want to see the proportion

i am myself, i heard people saying a alot of asians do medicine , now, i just want to do a random sample of people here right now - may not give reliable results, but let me see if it meets the generalisation

I'm white, but for your report you can look at the UKCAT reports, as they include information on the demographics in there. Last year (UKCAT 2009/10), 44.91% were White British, 11.73% White Other, 23.57% Asian, 5.21% Black, 3.64% Mixed Race, 4.44% Chinese, 4.81% Other and 1.68% Withheld.
I should be sorting out my voluntary work and work experience. :tongue:

me too! i keep applying, phoning, but without much sucess =/

Original post by Normandy114
I'm white, but for your report you can look at the UKCAT reports, as they include information on the demographics in there. Last year (UKCAT 2009/10), 44.91% were White British, 11.73% White Other, 23.57% Asian, 5.21% Black, 3.64% Mixed Race, 4.44% Chinese, 4.81% Other and 1.68% Withheld.

cheers normandy!
hmm, i don't know this, maybe , but you'll have to ask them:smile:

PS: any question you've asked previously, re-ask them to the university as i may be wrong!

thank you for this info. No theres no harm of being aware
for now it's just focusing on w/e, ukcat, grades and then summer is for doing all the reading up
thank you for this info. No theres no harm of being aware
for now it's just focusing on w/e, ukcat, grades and then summer is for doing all the reading up

wow!

that is exactly what i am doing as well lol! be careful on the UKCAT. you definitley can parepare by getting yourself speedy, quick, and training mental agility(again! i know this is what must be done, but it doesn't mean i can do it)

:smile: focus on a/s grades, w/e, forget the ukcat untill after your a/s grades, do some charity voluntary, or such i did that, and definitley read outside of your subject/on medicine
wow!

that is exactly what i am doing as well lol! be careful on the UKCAT. you definitley can parepare by getting yourself speedy, quick, and training mental agility(again! i know this is what must be done, but it doesn't mean i can do it)

:smile: focus on a/s grades, w/e, forget the ukcat untill after your a/s grades, do some charity voluntary, or such i did that, and definitley read outside of your subject/on medicine

Definitely, UKCAT/BMAT some people who i've spoke too, said they got like 600 first time, but after a gap year ended up getting 750-800 :O
I looked at the book and literally felt like crying, it looks so confusing and hard :'( especially th AR section :O
BMAT and UKCAT is going to take a lot of practise, sigh i just finished my as exams, i want to relax a little but i cant :frown:
Reply 3929
Heyy, I applied this year and have a conditional offer (bham), so if anyone wants any help feel free to ask (: x
Original post by EternalDoom
BMAT and UKCAT is going to take a lot of practise, sigh i just finished my as exams, i want to relax a little but i cant :frown:

Know how you feel, we just finished too and now our school is constantly reminding us about the EP, open days, personal statements as well as the entrance exams. It's going to be a horrible summer :frown:
what's the best book for practicing UKCAT?
Reply 3932
Original post by meerar20
Heyy, I applied this year and have a conditional offer (bham), so if anyone wants any help feel free to ask (: x

Congrats!
What was your interview like?
Reply 3933

Hiya, what AS grades did you get and GCSE grades?
Interested to know Bham's requirements
thanks!

What was your application like.
GCSEs?
AS Level?
Predicted Grades?
A2 Levels?
UKCAT?
Extra curricular activities?
Voluntary work?
Work experience?
UKCAT?
Where else did you apply and get offers?
Could anyone offer any advice for section 1 of the BMAT?
Section 2 and 3 seem pretty doable, but i struggle with the majority of the questions on section 1 :frown:
Like...i don't know how to analyse the information presented or how to approach the question

what sort of GCSES did you have?
guessing like 8A*+?
Original post by EternalDoom
Could anyone offer any advice for section 1 of the BMAT?
Section 2 and 3 seem pretty doable, but i struggle with the majority of the questions on section 1 :frown:
Like...i don't know how to analyse the information presented or how to approach the question

alot of it relates to critical thinking, maybe get an AS book and go through that
good luck
Hello - I'm not a med student yet but I went through the application process this year for 2011 entrance. I applied to Cambridge (Gonville and Caius), Edinburgh, King's College London and Leicester for medicine so if you have any questions about these med schools or if you have any queries pertaining to UKCAT, BMAT, interviews (I was interviewed at Cambridge, KCL and Leicester) do let me know!

Just don't expect a speedy/detailed response until the 27th when my exams end! =P

Good luck x
Reply 3939
what sort of GCSES did you have?
guessing like 8A*+?

What was your application like.
GCSEs?
AS Level?
Predicted Grades?
A2 Levels?
UKCAT?
Extra curricular activities?
Voluntary work?
Work experience?
UKCAT?
Where else did you apply and get offers?

Original post by Cleoleo
Hiya, what AS grades did you get and GCSE grades?
Interested to know Bham's requirements
thanks!

Original post by cz100
Congrats!
What was your interview like?

Okay, so:
GCSES - 9A*s and 2As
AS: As in Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology
UKCAT: Average 600
BMAT: 6.3, 5.2 and 4A

Applied to: Birmingham, Nottingham, Oxford and Leeds (and Aston for Pharmacy)
Interviews from: Birmingham and Oxford
Offer from Birmingham (3As in Biology, Chemistry and Maths)

Yeah, for my year birm said you needed 8A*s, but I think you needed 9 really. So I guess for your year it will be 9. I also think their offer has gone up to A*AA?

The birmingham interview was okay I guess, pretty average. About 20 mins. Theres so stuff which you need to learn, like the roles of the GMC, MMC, BMA etc. The questions I got asked where -
- Did you come on an open day here?
- Why do you want to come to birmingham?
- Tell us about your voluntary work
- Tell us about your work experience
- Do you still volunteer at MIND charity shop?
- What did you gather from the doctors on your work experience about the most negative aspects of medicine?
- You've mentioned paediatric work experience in your personal statement, tell us about that
- How does paediatrics differ from other branches of medicine
- Did you see an example of communication with a child who does not speak yet?
- What is the role of the General Medical Council?
- How long does it take to become a paediatrician?
- Have you got any other experience working with children?
- Everyone dies eventually so medicine fails. Discuss.
- Should we always be working to prologue the length of life?
- What do you do to relax?
- Tell me about badminton
- Which scoring system in badminton do you play, and which do you prefer?
- Tell me about a book you have read recently
- Do you play a musical instrument
Not necessarily in order after the first few, but there you go (:

Also, my advice would be to hit ukcat hard, practise loads about it, because although it is a really stupid test, a lot of unis put a lot of emphasis on it, its probs more important than your AS grades in terms of getting an offer. I think that was what let me down!

Work experience - 2 weeks of hospital observation, one in theaters and outpatienst, one in paediatrics.
Also did a 4 week nuffield bursary project last summer, in a hospital, auditing missed drug doses during inpatient stays.
Voluntary work - special needs kids club, charity shop, primary school
Miscellaneous - chair of student council, young enterprise, journal club, first aid course

Hope that helps! (: Any other questions feel free to ask (:

Latest