The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JChoudhry
Oh haha :laugh:

I used to live in NYC (Manhattan). Family things brought me to London lol. Actually, that's exactly what my area is like :p:

by asian do you mean indian or chinese?

sorry, random Q

-.- i've noticed most people on this thread including me, are either asian chinese, or asian indian/pakistani

=) no racism intended, just an observation guys
Original post by anonnymous
by asian do you mean indian or chinese?

sorry, random Q

-.- i've noticed most people on this thread including me, are either asian chinese, or asian indian/pakistani

=) no racism intended, just an observation guys

Brown asian :p:
Original post by JChoudhry
Brown asian :p:

can i join the club?:O
What is the general ratio of Asians (any variety) to Whites at med school? I saw a statistic about applicants being 9:11, but I think Asians, generally, have a higher degree of preparedness, therefore evening this out, or turning it the other way.
Original post by ChessMister
What is the general ratio of Asians (any variety) to Whites at med school? I saw a statistic about applicants being 9:11, but I think Asians, generally, have a higher degree of preparedness, therefore evening this out, or turning it the other way.

you need to know one thing

chinese people, are absolutely intelligent. i mean those i meet , from my own experience

the top school in my city, the two 'asian' twins got AMAZING grades

in my own school, a chinese girl swept the boards

generalisation, forget it lol

i am publishing this as a fact now

it's not race or genetics

it's really about work ethic. go to china, and it's competitive with ALOT being put in education

intelligence is basically how much you're willing to work = IQ

no -one is born to do well in teh bmat, or ukcat, or any IQ test.

is a kid born to know how to decipher bmat, essays or abstract shapes? nope

intelligence can be learn't, by exposing yourself
you need to know one thing

chinese people, are absolutely intelligent. i mean those i meet , from my own experience

the top school in my city, the two 'asian' twins got AMAZING grades

in my own school, a chinese girl swept the boards

generalisation, forget it lol

i am publishing this as a fact now

lol, cmon fellow brown asians, we gotta catch upto the chinese! :tongue:
Reply 3967
I'm Chinese, technically we are Asian but when it comes to filling monitoring forms etc it always puts us separate. I'm more banana really.
Original post by EternalDoom
lol, cmon fellow brown asians, we gotta catch upto the chinese! :tongue:

we seriously do man

they are getting so smart!

time to re-group! starting with the UKCAT/BMAT

JChoudry will lead us, closely followed by yourself, and nator.

i will bring up the rear
it's not race or genetics

it's really about work ethic. go to china, and it's competitive with ALOT being put in education

intelligence is basically how much you're willing to work = IQ

no -one is born to do well in teh bmat, or ukcat, or any IQ test.

is a kid born to know how to decipher bmat, essays or abstract shapes? nope

intelligence can be learn't, by exposing yourself

I didn't say it was either race or genetics; in fact, I wasn't even on the subject of intelligence.

In your above post you reiterated what I said concerning preparedness, but using "work ethic" as a loose synonym. Awareness and pushy parents would also fit the grade.
Original post by cz100
I'm Chinese, technically we are Asian but when it comes to filling monitoring forms etc it always puts us separate. I'm more banana really.

with the exeption of a few people who may be almost equal to you

you're the smartest person currently on this thread.

i rest my case!

:smile: CZ, this is no joke , please tell me how you do it?

As in, i feel in my life, i am missing something, tell me how you practise, and revise, and do things?

:smile: not giving you a big head, a famous quote says " i got where i am by standing on the shoulders of giants" (newton i think?)

:smile: neg rep me from wanting to learn from others ^^ but there is no other way to learn(guys, this is a geniune question, i don't ask things for the fun of it)
(edited 12 years ago)
I didn't say it was either race or genetics; in fact, I wasn't even on the subject of intelligence.

In your above post you reiterated what I said concerning preparedness, but using "work ethic" as a loose synonym. Awareness and pushy parents would also fit the grade.

sorry:smile: me and a few friends were debating this so kind of was still in that mood
Original post by sablarrr
I've downloaded those! But I've yet to start them...I'm too lazy for my own good. What's the BMAT like? I always thought it was harder for some reason.

Sat the Bmat last year, it's not too bad. The first section is essentially a condensed version of the ukcat, the second section is a mix of reasonably easy science and maths questions and the final section is just a discursive essay.
Original post by roar558
Sat the Bmat last year, it's not too bad. The first section is essentially a condensed version of the ukcat, the second section is a mix of reasonably easy science and maths questions and the final section is just a discursive essay.

When i think of the BMAT, i think i over-complicate things.

maybe it means so much that i forget the fundementals

=/ i think that every quetion has a twist, every question is so complex, and every question is impossible for my pathetic low IQ =/

can you give advise to me? If i prepare, and learn the basics, and understand not what to think ,but how to think, i can achieve ok grades?
Reply 3974
with the exeption of a few people who may be almost equal to you

you're the smartest person currently on this thread.

i rest my case!

:smile: CZ, this is no joke , please tell me how you do it?

As in, i feel in my life, i am missing something, tell me how you practise, and revise, and do things?

:smile: not giving you a big head, a famous quote says " i got where i am by standing on the shoulders of giants" (newton i think?)

:smile: neg rep me from wanting to learn from others ^^ but there is no other way to learn(guys, this is a geniune question, i don't ask things for the fun of it)

You're overstating it, I'm just good at cramming for exams.
Original post by cz100
You're overstating it, I'm just good at cramming for exams.

I always want to ask people from my school, irrespective ect, but i feel it'd be too akward

=) it's easier to ask on tsr

and no problem, i'm a major crammer, which is why i'm trying to learn IQ

i hate it when people tell me i can't do something because i was born a certain way(race, parential income ect)

IQ to me is no different, i don't believe anyone is born with an IQ, i know it can be developed so am sourcing out different ranges of people

=D i have too much time on my hands, that mainly derives from the fact that i have been rejected from every place i've applied for work experience/voluntary

-.- about to start on a calling rampage until they give it to me!:O
When i think of the BMAT, i think i over-complicate things.

maybe it means so much that i forget the fundementals

=/ i think that every quetion has a twist, every question is so complex, and every question is impossible for my pathetic low IQ =/

can you give advise to me? If i prepare, and learn the basics, and understand not what to think ,but how to think, i can achieve ok grades?

The test as I remember it wasn't too bad. The first section as I remember it was maybe a touch easier than I found the ukcat, if you can manage to get a reasonable score in the ukcat, you shouldn't have too much problem with this section. As long as you understand maths and sciences at least up to GCSE/standard grade/int 2 level you'll be fine for the 2nd section. Now the third section..., they don't just mark you on how good your words are but they also mark essentially how long your words are, so if you can memorise some impressive words which you can use, it'll up your grade for the use of English part of section 3. The rest is really just practising writing essays.
Original post by roar558
The test as I remember it wasn't too bad. The first section as I remember it was maybe a touch easier than I found the ukcat, if you can manage to get a reasonable score in the ukcat, you shouldn't have too much problem with this section. As long as you understand maths and sciences at least up to GCSE/standard grade/int 2 level you'll be fine for the 2nd section. Now the third section..., they don't just mark you on how good your words are but they also mark essentially how long your words are, so if you can memorise some impressive words which you can use, it'll up your grade for the use of English part of section 3. The rest is really just practising writing essays.

thanks for the sound advise

how many marks for : dissproportionalisationism?

EDIT: why do so many people say the test is the hardest thing they've ever done? is it to scare us?
(edited 12 years ago)
thanks for the sound advise

how many marks for : dissproportionalisationism?

EDIT: why do so many people say the test is the hardest thing they've ever done? is it to scare us?

I don't think that's a real word... but if you had long words like that which you could use in your essay coherently, (there's a good one for you) you should get a reasonable grade. However you also need to make sure your spelling, grammar and punctuation is without fault (using fancy turns of speech can also help up your marks).

I suppose some people aren't 100% prepared for the test because they don't do enough practice, others don't always have a good enough understanding of sciences etc and so don't necessarily get all of the easier marks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by roar558
I don't think that's a real word... but if you had long words like that which you could use in your essay coherently, (there's a good one for you) you should get a reasonable grade. However you also need to make sure your spelling, grammar and punctuation is without fault (using fancy turns of speech can also help up your marks).

I suppose some people aren't 100% prepared for the test because they don't do enough practice, others don't always have a good enough understanding of sciences etc and so don't necessarily get all of the easier marks.

is it difficult to get a 5 5 4A on the BMAT?

:smile: i want to know as if it's achieveable ,and something i can work on, then i may apply to imperial ect:smile:

Latest