The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quackers93
Maybe you're not whiney enough? lol If most of the year are then unless they have a very good reason not to make you, they probably would/should :smile:

Being whiney is not part of my character I'm more of the type of person to just get on with things but this has really annoyed me today. Then to top it off in most of my classes I'm the only non-prefect.
I guess the only good thing is that we suits to school and hence are able to wear any shirt and tie but the prefects have to wear this special tie which is like royal red and blue so it doesn't go with a lot of things. So at least I can maintain my originality. Whilst the prefects look like clones.
Original post by Limitless
Being whiney is not part of my character I'm more of the type of person to just get on with things but this has really annoyed me today. Then to top it off in most of my classes I'm the only non-prefect.
I guess the only good thing is that we suits to school and hence are able to wear any shirt and tie but the prefects have to wear this special tie which is like royal red and blue so it doesn't go with a lot of things. So at least I can maintain my originality. Whilst the prefects look like clones.

Woooo originality ftw! Being different for not being different, always the best way :smile:
Reply 4022
Original post by tamii05
Go to Pearson Vue and you will see where to book at the top. I signed up and got my username and password after about 40 mins and the confirmation for my booking straight away.

Original post by cz100
Yes, be yellow with me :biggrin:

i'm inbetween brown and yellow:smile:

i'm like hovis.

would being a teacher every other Saturday leading/being in charge of children for around five -six month count as leadership?

What about being the captain of a five-aside football team?
Reply 4025
We got told to write down what we've done and stuff for out reference but I thought if I was a prefect I could talk about responsibility and leadership skills.

you could try helping a a summer children club for a couple if days im helping at the london youth Olympics for a couple of days and worked with disabled children and you could just say you acted as a leader then or join an mentoring program there are loads of ways to get experience
Original post by aggie30
you could try helping a a summer children club for a couple if days im helping at the london youth Olympics for a couple of days and worked with disabled children and you could just say you acted as a leader then or join an mentoring program there are loads of ways to get experience

I live quiet a bit of distance away from London but the summer children club if I can find any.
Reply 4027
I live quiet a bit of distance away from London but the summer children club if I can find any.

yh go for it cause its an interesting experience something you can talk about at interview
Why is it that the BMAT feels like a more suitable test for becoming a doctor than the UKCAT? UKCAT feels like just general test of your ability, whereas BMAT looks at your reasoning for wanting to study medicine, tests aplitude, and science and maths skills too....
Original post by EternalDoom
Why is it that the BMAT feels like a more suitable test for becoming a doctor than the UKCAT? UKCAT feels like just general test of your ability, whereas BMAT looks at your reasoning for wanting to study medicine, tests aplitude, and science and maths skills too....

Agree :smile:
Original post by aggie30
yh go for it cause its an interesting experience something you can talk about at interview

Ooooh, you did RS a year early as well! *high five* :biggrin:

Whereabouts in London do you study? :smile: Because I've heard not many schools offer RS in year 11 :p: My school was one of the few. lol
Original post by EternalDoom

True, but seeing as most medical students have to achieve an A in at least Biology or Chemistry, that tests the science aptitude better than a question about voltage in the BMAT would. How does the BMAT look at reasoning to do medicine btw?
Original post by Normandy114
True, but seeing as most medical students have to achieve an A in at least Biology or Chemistry, that tests the science aptitude better than a question about voltage in the BMAT would. How does the BMAT look at reasoning to do medicine btw?

Here's a logic/type question that i think may help with the BMAT

Andrew is to the left of Max.
Max is to the right of Tom
Liam is between Tom and Ellie, Ellie being to the is to the left of Andrew.

Who is to the right to Tom?

Spoiler

Another one:

A train travels on three tracks, A B and C
Now, let us assume that on each track, it travels at a speed of 45 Kmh
The driver takes 65 minutes to finish track A , 45 minutes on track B and 36 minutes to thus, complete track C

Part one: what can you assume about the distances of each track?

Part two: if track C was extended by double it's current distance, how much would it be longer than track A?

Spoiler

Another BMAT Type question that may come up:

(Hold on, about to get my GCSE science textbook!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello Hopeful Medics,
I just thought I would post quickly to say if you have any questions I can answer most that you might have about Med Admissions.
I am on TSR most days and I am quite happy to help (when I can)

Tom :smile:
Original post by planetconwy1
Hello Hopeful Medics,
I just thought I would post quickly to say if you have any questions I can answer most that you might have about Med Admissions.

Hey Tomm

what uni's did you apply to, and what are FIVE key things we need to know to apply?:smile:

Any tips on the ukcat/bmat?(secret tips that worked for you)

Also, what about interview?

Cheers

EDIT: in addition to CZ's rather marvelous question, may i suggest a question? Could you explain what kind of material is relevant to us, at this stage for further reading, and how advanced we need to go into, to impress our rather stern interviewers. Yes, my written language is not articulate, however, i am en-devouring to improve, as i have been on many occasions scolded.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4035
Hello Hopeful Medics,

Hi, can you recommend any good books for background reading? There seems to be so many! Thanks :smile:
Original post by anonnymous
Hey Tomm

what uni's did you apply to, and what are FIVE key things we need to know to apply?:smile:

Any tips on the ukcat/bmat?(secret tips that worked for you)

Also, what about interview?

Cheers

I applied to SGUL, Liverpool, Glasgow and Keele (and Cambridge for my fifth non medicine choice).

Apply to Universities that play to your strenghts

Ace the UKCAT

Get work experience that stands out AND do LONG term volunteering (If you have not started yet, start now and continue even after you have applied through UCAS

Beg your teachers for the Best Predictions you can get

And finally pick courses that you will benifit from, e.g if you prefer being told everyting, do not pick any PBL unis, especially if you have a low work ethic.

Start practicing for the UKCAT NOW!!! It will give you the biggest advantage possible, for UKCAT Unis. Get the UKCAT 600 questions book from Amazon, its great!
I didnt do the BMAT but my friend did and she said there are loads of great logic books you can get and such.

Now, I know I shouldn't be terrifying you before you have even applied but im not going to lie about the interview.
It is the most important 30 mins of your life and preparation is critical, learn your answers to the obvious questions, but not so much that you sound like a parrot. Make sure you read the newspapers for a week beforehand and also get friends and family to ask you questions, it can help a lot!

My final word: (Excluding Oxbridge) I have been told that the medical courses are not that difficult, and unless you really are an idiot they wont throw you out. Getting in is the hard part!
Original post by cz100
Hi, can you recommend any good books for background reading? There seems to be so many! Thanks :smile:

For Medicine itself or the application process?
Hi,
Does anyone know if Southampton are starting to interview medicine applicants, for the 2012 cycle?

Thanks
Reply 4039
For Medicine itself or the application process?

For medicine, as in the kind that could be talked about at interview, I'm most scared of that part!

Latest