Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by planetconwy1)
    I applied to SGUL, Liverpool, Glasgow and Keele (and Cambridge for my fifth non medicine choice).
    1. Apply to Universities that play to your strenghts
    2. Ace the UKCAT
    3. Get work experience that stands out AND do LONG term volunteering (If you have not started yet, start now and continue even after you have applied through UCAS
    4. Beg your teachers for the Best Predictions you can get
    5. And finally pick courses that you will benifit from, e.g if you prefer being told everyting, do not pick any PBL unis, especially if you have a low work ethic.

Start practicing for the UKCAT NOW!!! It will give you the biggest advantage possible, for UKCAT Unis. Get the UKCAT 600 questions book from Amazon, its great!
    I didnt do the BMAT but my friend did and she said there are loads of great logic books you can get and such.

Now, I know I shouldn't be terrifying you before you have even applied but im not going to lie about the interview.
    It is the most important 30 mins of your life and preparation is critical, learn your answers to the obvious questions, but not so much that you sound like a parrot. Make sure you read the newspapers for a week beforehand and also get friends and family to ask you questions, it can help a lot!

My final word: (Excluding Oxbridge) I have been told that the medical courses are not that difficult, and unless you really are an idiot they wont throw you out. Getting in is the hard part!
    Brilliant, thank you!

this sounds awsome. i love working hard, medicine is that

may i ask, if i feel i want to learn an area that is not being taught, can i go to lectures outside of my own time to persue my interests?

i hope you got in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    For medicine, as in the kind that could be talked about at interview, I'm most scared of that part!
    Thanks
    As far as I am aware only oxbridge and st.andrews will talk about academic stuff.

The best book I have is the Medics Bible:
    "The Oxford Handbook to Clinical Medicine"
    that tiny little book is the only one that you will use constantly for 5 years.

Also good is:
    "Principles of Anatomy and Physiology" 1100 odd pages, is so big it comes in two volumes.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, im also applying to medicine but im finding it really hard to find work experience. has anyone got any recommendations to where i should do it and how much to do? x

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am aware only oxbridge and st.andrews will talk about academic stuff.

Also good is:
    "Principles of Anatomy and Physiology" 1100 odd pages, is so big it comes in two volumes.
    Hmmm might wait and see if I actually get in before getting the second one!
    And I want to apply to Cambridge and heard we should read up on medical news over the last 10 years
    How did your fifth choice for Cambridge go btw?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonnymous)
    Brilliant, thank you!

this sounds awsome. i love working hard, medicine is that

may i ask, if i feel i want to learn an area that is not being taught, can i go to lectures outside of my own time to persue my interests?

i hope you got in!
    Yeah that should be fine, most places that teach PBL run lectures too.

Thanks! Yeah I did get an Offer, for Liverpool they want AAA(b) in my A-Levels.

ReputationRep:

Also good is:
    What kind of academic stuff? :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    Hmmm might wait and see if I actually get in before getting the second one!
    And I want to apply to Cambridge and heard we should read up on medical news over the last 10 years
    How did your fifth choice for Cambridge go btw?
    Oh a Cambridge person, If you PM me I can tell you more about that
    It was for Biological Natural Sciences at Selwyn College, somehow I ended up with an Offer for A*AAA, which was ridiculous because I dont even do four A-Levels and I didn't even want to do the course anyway. Medicine was for me!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that should be fine, most places that teach PBL run lectures too.

Thanks! Yeah I did get an Offer, for Liverpool they want AAA(b) in my A-Levels.
    congratulations! =D well done on the offer man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anmole.S)
    hey guys, im also applying to medicine but im finding it really hard to find work experience. has anyone got any recommendations to where i should do it and how much to do? x
    I actually searched the TSR wiki and somewhere on there was a list of hospital trusts, clicked on each one and sent all the ones which took work experience students and did not specify that they had to be local. Rejected from basically every one that replied, but one agreed to send me an application form, filled it in along with a CV and school reference, and have a week with them in July. That was all done before Christmas though, you have to get organised early.
    Also got a few days at GP, just rang them and left my number and they rang back a couple of days later saying they'd be happy to have me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JChoudhry)
    As far as i am aware, Biology and mostly Chemistry. And practically anything they ask on the BMAT i would assume haha.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if Southampton have interviews for the 2012 aplicants?

ReputationRep:
    someone who got an offer told me what they were asked.

basically, chemistry,biology, physics, maybe maths, but they want to test you on the spot.

they don't care about what you think, they want to see how you think

but i am not the most reliable of people, and i won't be applying to oxbridge, because i prefer imperial college london! but i may not even apply there! because there are so many good med schools to choose from !=D

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else watching "Choosing to Die"?

I will write up my thoughts on it later, if anyone wants to debate the issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <XOXO>)
    Does anyone know if Southampton have interviews for the 2012 aplicants?
    Why wouldn't they? I heard the only medical school not to have interviews now is Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    I heard someone say they got asked 'why can't you have a ten foot snorkel'.

(Original post by ChessMister)
    Anyone else watching "Choosing to Die"?

I will write up my thoughts on it later, if anyone wants to debate the issue.
    I've recorded it, won't get to see it until after exams etc but seems interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, this is the first year that they have had interviews so i wasn't completely sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonnymous)
    someone who got an offer told me what they were asked.

basically, chemistry,biology, physics, maybe maths, but they want to test you on the spot.

they don't care about what you think, they want to see how you think

but i am not the most reliable of people, and i won't be applying to oxbridge, because i prefer imperial college london! but i may not even apply there! because there are so many good med schools to choose from !=D
    Haha, Okay lol Thanks.

As far as i am aware, Biology and mostly Chemistry. And practically anything they ask on the BMAT i would assume haha.
    Hmmm anything specific though. I may be trying for Oxford. :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Haha, Okay lol Thanks.

hey! i may go for that(although i am 80% not going to )

do you know that, they look at GCSE

BUT!

they look at your school and contextualise it?

what kind of school did you do your GCSE's in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cz100)
    I heard someone say they got asked 'why can't you have a ten foot snorkel'.

I've recorded it, won't get to see it until after exams etc but seems interesting.
    It's not un-heard of

see, they are trying to stretch us to the LIMIT.

so basically, i'd say this:

Air moves from a reigion of high pressure to low pressure. Deep under-water, the pressure around the tube, or in your chest may be very high, so the pressure gradient would not at all favour the intake of oxygen, or the inhalation and movement from the atmosphere , into the tube

see my waffling skills? i have NO idea lol

guys, can anyone actually answer the question?

"why can't you have a ten-foot snorkel"

ReputationRep:
    Haha, Okay lol Thanks.

i've got the email the person sent to me about their interview, i was trying to locate it, i won't apply probs, so if i get it, i'll share it with you, and anyone interested

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2011

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.