The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yay. In year thirteen but did not apply in 2010, so first time.
Couple of questions,

Applying with actual grades rather than predicted grades will make you more attractive to a medical school? True/False.

Any advice on the BMAT and UKCAT, preparation wise, e.g. Which books?
Reply 4081
Original post by JChoudhry
Yeah lol.

:p:

You wouldn't believe I did all of that in school considering my most recent schools reports. Most people are shocked when they see my reports, they're on fb. :colondollar:

If you wanna see, feel free to ask :p:

Goodness me, I'd quite like to see them but I don't have fb.
Care to list what those subjects were?
Original post by anonnymous
It's not un-heard of

see, they are trying to stretch us to the LIMIT.

so basically, i'd say this:

Air moves from a reigion of high pressure to low pressure. Deep under-water, the pressure around the tube, or in your chest may be very high, so the pressure gradient would not at all favour the intake of oxygen, or the inhalation and movement from the atmosphere , into the tube

see my waffling skills? i have NO idea lol

guys, can anyone actually answer the question?

"why can't you have a ten-foot snorkel"

Ah I remember this, it was actually taught to us by a maybe slightly over-zealous physics teacher when teaching pressures in Int 2. If you go too deep, I think it's slightly more than 10 feet, more in the region of 15 feet, when water pressure=air pressure, you wouldn't be able to draw breath. Now possibly at around 10 feet, you wouldn't be able to draw in enough air to replenish your bodies use of oxygen?
Original post by gregory14db
Yay. In year thirteen but did not apply in 2010, so first time.
Couple of questions,

Applying with actual grades rather than predicted grades will make you more attractive to a medical school? True/False.

Any advice on the BMAT and UKCAT, preparation wise, e.g. Which books?

1. False (I think someone can correct me if I'm wrong)
2. There is a book called "Passing the UKCAT and BMAT" which is very good does not have many questions but explains how to go about answering them really well. There is also another book called "600q UKCAT" which is also very good I haven't seen this one myself but the reviews for it are excellent.
Original post by cz100
What material is that ball made of? That'll determine how far it will drop without melting, and it'll not go further than the centre.

wow, i have the answer in my mind,but i like your analytical approach! very nice, so , how about this:

let's assume the ball is made up of un-metlable material, and released, what happens?(this is of course, providing that a tunnel actually exists, and the ball does not melt)
Original post by roar558
Ah I remember this, it was actually taught to us by a maybe slightly over-zealous physics teacher when teaching pressures in Int 2. If you go too deep, I think it's slightly more than 10 feet, more in the region of 15 feet, when water pressure=air pressure, you wouldn't be able to draw breath. Now possibly at around 10 feet, you wouldn't be able to draw in enough air to replenish your bodies use of oxygen?

from your answer, i think it's the same ISH as mine?

(hopeful)

=) i'm not sure, CZ asked, maybe we can all work it out?

I completely see what you're applying here
Reply 4087
wow, i have the answer in my mind,but i like your analytical approach! very nice, so , how about this:

let's assume the ball is made up of un-metlable material, and released, what happens?(this is of course, providing that a tunnel actually exists, and the ball does not melt)

It'll just end up at the centre and stay there then
Reply 4089

No what's that?
Original post by cz100
It'll just end up at the centre and stay there then

Ooh close

i only know the answer because the guy that was telling us this(some admissions tutor), told us the answer

basically, when the ball is dropped from the top, it accelerates to the centre - we can establish that

but then, the kinetic energy, from the acceleration remains - but gravity STILL pulls on the ball, so it will go past the centre, but de-cellerate, getting slower and slower, until it's near the surface, again , where it will drop, this will go on and on and on for a long time
Original post by Nator
No what's that?

CZ/NATOR

are these kaplan prep courses actually free?

:smile: i can't afford it if i must pay, but if it's free hell yes(if i can afford train)
Reply 4092
Original post by Nator
No what's that?

It's a free online review seminar. You download a UKCAT paper and do it, then on the day you book at the time they go through it live online or something like that. I've booked one for August, it's free so why not?
Ooh close

i only know the answer because the guy that was telling us this(some admissions tutor), told us the answer

basically, when the ball is dropped from the top, it accelerates to the centre - we can establish that

but then, the kinetic energy, from the acceleration remains - but gravity STILL pulls on the ball, so it will go past the centre, but de-cellerate, getting slower and slower, until it's near the surface, again , where it will drop, this will go on and on and on for a long time

Ahh right. Is that for sciences? I heard one 'if everyone in the world jumped into the sea how far would sea levels rise?' Now that's one I don't know how to answer.
Reply 4093
CZ/NATOR

are these kaplan prep courses actually free?

:smile: i can't afford it if i must pay, but if it's free hell yes(if i can afford train)

Free, well the online ones anyway haven't looked at the ones at their centre.
cz100

Read them? :laugh: The links should work for you even if you don't have an fb.

:O tut tut ! although to be honest, the maths reports are quite good!

Even then, they mentioned my laziness/lack of effort. :p: The only reason they're good is because Maths is the only subject I did Jan exams for, so my results speak louder than my attitude/effort :p:
Original post by cz100
It's a free online review seminar. You download a UKCAT paper and do it, then on the day you book at the time they go through it live online or something like that. I've booked one for August, it's free so why not?

Ahh right. Is that for sciences? I heard one 'if everyone in the world jumped into the sea how far would sea levels rise?' Now that's one I don't know how to answer.

awsome, booking it right now

here's my kind of answer

"one: omg , not being tight, but i thought kaplan charged 400 pounds, glad it's free !

wait, so they go through it live, on the internet?

:O

For the question, if everyone jumped into water..well..that's a tough one, let's break it up

what do we know about rising sea levels ? something takes place of water pushing it up, or the volume is added - so each having the same effect, though in different ways.

so, we know that the earth is 3/4 water, and there are 6.5 billion humans.

now...if we do this:

put a human 10m cube of water, and measure how much it rises

then work out the volume of the earth.

divide the volume by 10, and times it by 6.5 billion - we are assuming everyone is the same size lol

i am a waffler=/ any more questions? even though they're mind turning, it's fun lol

ACTUAL QUESTION: someone told me they were asked, well it was a long question, but then they said: if you had a bubble, and pressure was forcing the bubble inwards, what would happen to it? not a mind-twister, but yeah=p let me think of some/find some that were asked
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4096

:rolleyes:Yea, shame on you. At least your teachers bother writing reports. Ours have the same statement for each 'band' of students and change the name for each report.

Even then, they mentioned my laziness/lack of effort. :p: The only reason they're good is because Maths is the only subject I did Jan exams for, so my results speak louder than my attitude/effort :p:

i'd rather my a/s spoke

=/ sadly, my effort has spoken louder than my actual result lol

but i put that down to nervous breakdowns during exams
Original post by cz100
:rolleyes:Yea, shame on you. At least your teachers bother writing reports. Ours have the same statement for each 'band' of students and change the name for each report.

:colondollar: It's not AS bad as they say! lol Although it's still extremely bad :p:
Wow! That's REALLY bad! That sucks a lot! They're getting paid, so they should make the effort atleast!
i'd rather my a/s spoke

=/ sadly, my effort has spoken louder than my actual result lol

but i put that down to nervous breakdowns during exams

Haha! lol. That sucks for you then :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending