Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VaVe)
    That's where the telekineses comes in handy.
    Very true, do you think medlink could help me with my telekinesis? medsim maybe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    Very true, do you think medlink could help me with my telekinesis? medsim maybe?
    Possibly, I hear that there's experimental surgery available in Antarctica that is looking promising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VaVe)
    Possibly, I hear that there's experimental surgery available in Antarctica that is looking promising.
    Don't forget Asia

ReputationRep:
    hahaha I do love (potential) medics :')
    hope to be studying with you all!

ReputationRep:
    Hi fellow 2012 applicants

I'm currently taking Chemistry and Maths (Advanced Highers) and Spanish (Intermediate 2) and hoping to apply to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen.

There's only 4 people in my year, including myself, wanting to do medicine (3 who applied last year for entry this year).

I'm taking a planned gap year this year after I've finished school, because I felt I needed to gain more experience related to medicine. I've not had much work experience (only a week in a GP practice) but I've not had any hospital work experience (i.e. shadowing a doctor). I've been also doing voluntary work for the last 6 months in a care home, and 4 months in a NHS hospital ward with elderly patients who have dementia/Alzheimer's disease.

Bit worried about the extra-curricular stuff tbh, the only things I do in school are: I'm a 6th year buddy for a 1st year pupil, I do paired reading with a first year and I also am a reader and scriber for 1st and 2nd years during their class tests...however I don't do anything musical/sporty/DoE etc.

Also slightly worried about the UKCAT. I've got the 600 question book and taken a look at all the sections. I seem to find DA quite easy but AR seems so hard. The lack of time to do the test is what probably worries me most!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    Certainly sounds good, and yes obviously not going to copy their examples. The Amazon reviews for it are an average of 4.9/5 so it seems well recommended! Unfortunately school library only has the ukcat/interview ones by icsmedical, so may have to buy this one myself.
    Oh I didn't mean direct plagiarism sorry if it sounded that way, I meant don't let the book make you think that the way they're written there is the only way to write them, because tbh the statements in there all sound quite similar (despite being about different people), so don't let it limit you or minimise your uniqueness. It's well worth getting though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurie:))
    i'd love to see them of course, but like, i was meant to be going to peninsula on saturday, but i'd have to wake up at like 5 in the morning and it would cost me around £100 total

i was thinking maybe i'd fly up there for a couple of days and try and just go to as many scottish places as i can in one go instead of just for individual days?
    It is crazy expensive unfortunately. But I do think you need a good look before you firm any offers, which you dont need to do till this time next year. So you've got time

Your plan sounds pretty good, remember you dont HAVE TO go to the oficial open days, you can ask for private tours. They just wont be as good. Maybe see if you could hook up with someone at your unis from TSR, get chatting on here and then they can show you around up there. Try to get up there though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quackers93)
    hahaha I do love (potential) medics :')
    hope to be studying with you all!
    You too, Quackers!

(Original post by ScottishShortiex)
    Bit worried about the extra-curricular stuff tbh, the only things I do in school are: I'm a 6th year buddy for a 1st year pupil, I do paired reading with a first year and I also am a reader and scriber for 1st and 2nd years during their class tests...however I don't do anything musical/sporty/DoE etc.
    (
    Everything you do sounds fantastic; I wish there were opportunities like that at my school! If you are worried about music/sport/DofE, though, is a gap year not the perfect time to pick something up?

Even if it's just that you start playing squash on a Thursday night and you're still terrible at it by the time you apply, it shows you've used your gap yah for something a bit broader than simply work experience.

(FYI: the only sporty bits on my application will be that I'm a kayaking coach. Also, I don't have a musical bone in my body... My ECs are DofE and debating, largely, although there are other bits & bobs too.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottishShortiex)

I'm currently taking Chemistry and Maths (Advanced Highers) and Spanish (Intermediate 2) and hoping to apply to Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and Aberdeen.

There's only 4 people in my year, including myself, wanting to do medicine (3 who applied last year for entry this year).

I'm taking a planned gap year this year after I've finished school, because I felt I needed to gain more experience related to medicine. I've not had much work experience (only a week in a GP practice) but I've not had any hospital work experience (i.e. shadowing a doctor). I've been also doing voluntary work for the last 6 months in a care home, and 4 months in a NHS hospital ward with elderly patients who have dementia/Alzheimer's disease.

Also slightly worried about the UKCAT. I've got the 600 question book and taken a look at all the sections. I seem to find DA quite easy but AR seems so hard. The lack of time to do the test is what probably worries me most!

Hey,
    Personally if I were you, I'd do some sort of sport which involves playing in a team, it will not only help your application but at the interview as well.
    In terms of the book you got for the UKCAT, its not as hard as it is on their. The maths on it is soo much harder, the abstract reasoning i'd say is slightly harder, verbal is probably the same and the decision analysis is a lot harder in respective to the actual exams. Don't pay too much attention to what score you get on the book, just practice, practice and practice!

ReputationRep:
    Last chance to buy both the ISC Medical UKCAT and Interview book off me for £25 for the two before I stick them on amazon! Anyone? Otherwise they're going on Amazon in a few hours, I need money :lol: Just checking that no-one here wants them first

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha you all made me laugh up there about the 8 insturments etc

ReputationRep:
    How's everyone doing work experience wise?

ReputationRep:
    Just found out there's a care home in my area that has employed a lot of people I know in the past that should have vacancies, may have to apply at some point soon.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone I'm one of around 10-15 people in my sixth form who are considering applying kinda scared as to how quickly this year has gone by... But it's all good

Gonna apply to Kings College, maybe UCL (I'm scared about their A2 exams-in-one-sitting thing!) and BSMS - not too sure about the fourth choice. Kings seems really nice, I've been going to their Outreach for Medicine lectures and I'm gonna go on a programme called Medview (only 30 places!! :O) so fingers crossed. UCL is my main one though, I just love the place, it seems so cool and it's an amazing uni

Work experience wise, I've been volunteering with St John Ambulance, should be going out on duties very very soon Also am part of a childrens hospice, and just trained as a Family Support volunteer... Hopefully am gonna do a few weeks work experience in the summer with one of my best friends' mum who's a consultant, so it should be great

REALLY worried about BMAT/UKCAT though :/

Also, i got AAAA for my Jan modules was over the moon

ReputationRep:
    Dont worry. Just be reallllly prepared for them. Thet DO make a difference to your whole application.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who wants to buy UKCAT, BMAT PS help and medical school interview book (green one) could pm me. They are all in as good as new condition

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna warn you guys now that the next year will be a rollercoaster ride!! Ups and downs, highs and lows but at the end of the day just think that you can DO IT and you WILL get into med school!

ReputationRep:
    I second that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JChoudhry)
    How's everyone doing work experience wise?
    I did a week at a GP practice over February half term and loved every minute of it, but I'm still really struggling for hospital experience since the Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust suddenly closed their program at short notice :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stegosaurus)
    Everything you do sounds fantastic; I wish there were opportunities like that at my school! If you are worried about music/sport/DofE, though, is a gap year not the perfect time to pick something up?

Even if it's just that you start playing squash on a Thursday night and you're still terrible at it by the time you apply, it shows you've used your gap yah for something a bit broader than simply work experience.

(FYI: the only sporty bits on my application will be that I'm a kayaking coach. Also, I don't have a musical bone in my body... My ECs are DofE and debating, largely, although there are other bits & bobs too.)
    Well the stuff we do in school I think is sort of compulsory...it's part of our 6th year community service or something like that. I think everyone need to do something similar, whether it be what I've been doing, or helping out in specific subject or whatever. I'm really glad we have the opportunity to do things like this

Yes, I'll try and take up a sport. My mum says that there's a woman who comes into the school where she works and teaches the kids to play football...anyway, my mum says that she coaches disabled children on how to play football and my mum says that I could join her. Would this county as something sporty/extra-curricular instead of voluntary work.

(Original post by Gowrav)
    Hey,
    Personally if I were you, I'd do some sort of sport which involves playing in a team, it will not only help your application but at the interview as well.
    In terms of the book you got for the UKCAT, its not as hard as it is on their. The maths on it is soo much harder, the abstract reasoning i'd say is slightly harder, verbal is probably the same and the decision analysis is a lot harder in respective to the actual exams. Don't pay too much attention to what score you get on the book, just practice, practice and practice!
    As I said before to Stegosaurus, if this coaching thing was counted as sporty then it that would be classed as teamwork and leadership skills...wouldn't it!?

I'm glad that the questions in the actual UKCAT exam aren't as hard as the book...I just need to keep track of time when doing the questions, because I've heard that the lack of time in the exam is the hardest thing. But yeah, practice makes perfect!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.