Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rsp)
    I have done work experience at 2 GP's and aranged a week observation at a hospital in August. But wondering if any of these are worth doing or are pointless(just to get a broad view?

a ) Optical Assistant
    b) Physio Assistant
    c) Radiology Assistant - to see MRI / X Rays (though it clearly says not for applicant for medicine must want a careers in radiology so i would feel guilty lying)

Any other ideas for Work Experience ?
    I am volunteering at a special needs infant/junior school once a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonnymous)
    yes, nursing homes,
    but it's the quality, not how much and to where
    =) may i ask, how did you secure work experience at a GP?
    Okay after my maths exam i am going to pester every nursing home in my area btw in your opinion letter, email or phone them?

O GOD ! WHERE DO I START WITH THE GP! last year cant remember when I did a week I rang about 5 and they offered i was like wow that was easy. BUT i did three days and got really ill with Flu and it was the time of the Swine Flu outbreak so i could hardly go in with flu symptoms

And then i was determined to do another week to make up for it , didnt want to go back to the first one. I RANG 23 places before i got somwhere. And they were kind of like umm maybe and it was so had to ring when the practice manager was there. anyway after 3 phone calls she was like hmm fine send me a cv . she never replied! So i rang and asked why she never replied she said she never got it and so i emailed her. And she said as your so keen i can give u a place in easter holidays. ANYWAY IT WORKED and when i chatted with her in the week she wasent annoyed at me or anything ( i thought she would be ) she was just really pleased that i was so eager and the week was really good.

Sorry for the long story but seriously just keep keep trying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rsp)
    Okay after my maths exam i am going to pester every nursing home in my area btw in your opinion letter, email or phone them?

O GOD ! WHERE DO I START WITH THE GP! last year cant remember when I did a week I rang about 5 and they offered i was like wow that was easy. BUT i did three days and got really ill with Flu and it was the time of the Swine Flu outbreak so i could hardly go in with flu symptoms

And then i was determined to do another week to make up for it , didnt want to go back to the first one. I RANG 23 places before i got somwhere. And they were kind of like umm maybe and it was so had to ring when the practice manager was there. anyway after 3 phone calls she was like hmm fine send me a cv . she never replied! So i rang and asked why she never replied she said she never got it and so i emailed her. And she said as your so keen i can give u a place in easter holidays. ANYWAY IT WORKED and when i chatted with her in the week she wasent annoyed at me or anything ( i thought she would be ) she was just really pleased that i was so eager and the week was really good.

Sorry for the long story but seriously just keep keep trying

cheers! well i rang two nursing homes today, one was not the best, the other said, sure but let me check,and we will do a crb check that takes around 4 weeks.

so my tip : do what i'll do, ring up tomorrow to as many and ask as many as possible, say your a volunteer they get confused with someone applying for a job.

=) i phoned 4 gps, got rejected lol

now sending a letter to my own own, and 3-4 other ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolo-x)
    I am volunteering at a special needs infant/junior school once a week.
    aaa i REALLY WANTED TO do that but there was nowhere that would take me . Although i am trying to look for work experience in a clinicalish setting rather than volunteer at the momement.
    Volunteering so far :
    Pyramid club - run an afterschool club for children with low selfesteem
    1 week Vitalise
    British Red Cross Event First Aid
    Primary School Children Year 1 once a week for a year
    and other little stuff
    GOing to try and volunteer in a nursing home this summer

How did u get your volunteer placement at the school?

ReputationRep:
    cheers! well i rang two nursing homes today, one was not the best, the other said, sure but let me check,and we will do a crb check that takes around 4 weeks.

so my tip : do what i'll do, ring up tomorrow to as many and ask as many as possible, say your a volunteer they get confused with someone applying for a job.

=) i phoned 4 gps, got rejected lol

now sending a letter to my own own, and 3-4 other ones
    thanks i will ring them next week . i have maths S1 on Thursday and off to Edinburgh after that for the weekend/ open day / spa trip
    I hate the fact that i have had 4 CRBs done and every organisation wants one in their name. All my crbs have been done within the last 6 months as well

KEEP trying with the GP the one i went to in easter was half an hour away on the train so i dont know where u live but maybe widen your search area?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rsp)
    thanks i will ring them next week . i have maths S1 on Thursday and off to Edinburgh after that for the weekend/ open day / spa trip
    I hate the fact that i have had 4 CRBs done and every organisation wants one in their name. All my crbs have been done within the last 6 months as well

KEEP trying with the GP the one i went to in easter was half an hour away on the train so i dont know where u live but maybe widen your search area?

i am now willing to do this, as a last resort though

There's like ten GP'S in my area

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rsp)
    aaa i REALLY WANTED TO do that but there was nowhere that would take me . Although i am trying to look for work experience in a clinicalish setting rather than volunteer at the momement.
    Volunteering so far :
    Pyramid club - run an afterschool club for children with low selfesteem
    1 week Vitalise
    British Red Cross Event First Aid
    Primary School Children Year 1 once a week for a year
    and other little stuff
    GOing to try and volunteer in a nursing home this summer

How did u get your volunteer placement at the school?
    i rang them at first they said they would ring me back but they never did, and then kept saying she'd ring me back or whatever, and eventually i went to my form tutor and she rang for me and apparently last time they had a volunteer she hadn't been very good at turning up and eventually just stopped going so they didn't want another. but my tutor persuaded them to take me, i really enjoy it

you're doing really well tbh, especially with vitalise, you'll have experienced lots there, lots to talk about as well.
    all i've done is 3 months working on a geriatric ward in a hospital once a week and now this school. and next week im shadowing a consultant paediatrician

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou i will have a look now i knwo there is a marie curie hospice about 20 minitues away on the train but they want u to hell with breakfast from 7 am .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rsp)
    Thankyou i will have a look now i knwo there is a marie curie hospice about 20 minitues away on the train but they want u to hell with breakfast from 7 am .
    never travelled by train, but yeah ^^

i think i need to increase my radius if i am to get a placement lol

ReputationRep:
    never travelled by train, but yeah ^^

i think i need to increase my radius if i am to get a placement lol
    trains are fine better than a bus IMO but i am biased father works on them , so used to them and dont have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roar558)
    Not going to do it this year either, going with all Scottish unis instead.
    I see in your sig that you applied to Aberdeen I'm hoping to apply there this year. I love Aberdeen :love:

(Original post by JChoudhry)
    Yup I'm American :p: No longer have the accent though :laugh:

:afraid: Nope, haven't started the PS at all! :eek3: It seems so scary!

Everything I seem to write, just sounds so crap. Not to mention, cheesy as hell. And that's worrying, cos I'll be applying to PS heavy unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sablarrr)
    I see in your sig that you applied to Aberdeen I'm hoping to apply there this year. I love Aberdeen :love:

Everything I seem to write, just sounds so crap. Not to mention, cheesy as hell. And that's worrying, cos I'll be applying to PS heavy unis.
    It was very competitive this year, on the bright side, if you are interviewed, you have a 50% chance of being offered a place. Plus there's a very large chance of getting in through the waiting list.

ReputationRep:

same.

everything i write seems to be cliche...

but i'll develop it

=/ no w/e or helping in a care home or hospital so it's difficult

however, i have done the parts i can, and bullet pointed what i expect to learn from a caring environment

^^ don't get me wrong, applied to a hospital for W/E, going to try 5 GP'S, and have rung 1 nursing home to get back to me, going to ring a few more.

to be honest, i wanted more room to explain my extended project, but then the ps has to be so concise, but not listed=/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roar558)
    It was very competitive this year, on the bright side, if you are interviewed, you have a 50% chance of being offered a place. Plus there's a very large chance of getting in through the waiting list.
    Ah, cool. Did you get any feedback as to what went wrong? Are you hoping to apply there again?

same.

to be honest, i wanted more room to explain my extended project, but then the ps has to be so concise, but not listed=/
    What did you do for you extended project? I'm doing one this year, but I don't actually know what to do!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, cool. Did you get any feedback as to what went wrong? Are you hoping to apply there again?

What did you do for you extended project? I'm doing one this year, but I don't actually know what to do!

i am doing it today, we start it

i want my topic to be interesting, stretching, but not completely out of my depth

ReputationRep:

Was told too many applicants, very competitive etc etc. Really just the same standard email. Will probably reapply there this year.

ReputationRep:
    Just got some volunteering work at the local hospital
    And probably some at Cancer research UK from the 4th of July.
    But I got told I never became a prefect because not enough teachers voted for me, stupid popularity contest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    But I got told I never became a prefect because not enough teachers voted for me, stupid popularity contest.
    lol don't worry, I didn't become a prefect either, though I've got quite a lot of positions of responsibility which I can talk about instead.

ReputationRep:
    After my second attempt at section 1 of the BMAT, i got 18/35 :P but i could already feel myself getting used to the style of the questions, hopefully after 5 months down the line that'll be near 30-35/35, and i gotta prepare for the other sections too >_>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    You've managed to get some voluntary work, therefore you win.

Never mind the whole prefect business.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 14, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.