Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EternalDoom)
    Ahh okay good, i can relax, i really dont like unpleasant surprises :rolleyes:
    Fair enough

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I'm hoping to do medicine next year at either edinburgh, glasgow, dundee or st andrews! It's scary how increasingly difficult it is to get into medicine :/ I have really good work experience (just back from germany where i worked in a german hospital) and my exams went really well so fingers crossed. I've wanted to be a doctor from the age of 11 and it's scary that soon i'll know if i'll make my dream or not :/ I do find it really frustrating though when there are a lot of people who are applying to medicine because it is a "smart job". I also want to say good luck to all of you

ReputationRep:
    Gonna practice UKCAT tonight :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Last exam to go!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolo-x)
    Sorry if this has been asked already, I don't feel like trawling through 216 pages to find out!

When my sister applied to do her art course to Leeds, she got rejected because she didn't put them as her first choice apparently. So does it matter for medicine, will the universities know whether you are their first choice? Do you even rank them? I know nothing about ucas.
    Medical schools don't see your other choices. So say if you applied to Leeds, the admissions tutors would see:

1. ......
    2. ......
    3. Leeds
    4. .......

With the universities you applied to listed in alphabetical order (I think)- so I don't think they'll be able to tell what your first/second and so on choice is. They'll be able to see whether or not you applied to a fifth non-medical choice (by seeing 5. ...... on that list, or by not seeing it) but that's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LHC)
    Hey guys I'm hoping to do medicine next year at either edinburgh, glasgow, dundee or st andrews! It's scary how increasingly difficult it is to get into medicine :/ I have really good work experience (just back from germany where i worked in a german hospital) and my exams went really well so fingers crossed. I've wanted to be a doctor from the age of 11 and it's scary that soon i'll know if i'll make my dream or not :/ I do find it really frustrating though when there are a lot of people who are applying to medicine because it is a "smart job". I also want to say good luck to all of you
    That's really good but it's worth doing some work experience in England if you haven't already... that's the only way of seeing what medicine would be like here (where you train) and seeing the NHS in action. I know for Manchester they much prefer UK work experience.... so Germany work exp will be really useful, but I reckon it's worth getting some GP/hospital work experience here too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unbiased Opinion)
    That's really good but it's worth doing some work experience in England if you haven't already... that's the only way of seeing what medicine would be like here (where you train) and seeing the NHS in action. I know for Manchester they much prefer UK work experience.... so Germany work exp will be really useful, but I reckon it's worth getting some GP/hospital work experience here too.
    I have also got work experience in the UK I worked for a week in a scottish hospital where i shadowed the doctors and got to do some really cool things but in germany i actually worked in the hospital with the patients (helped them get dressed, washed, fed and checked their blood sugar levels) I built bonds with the patients and even experienced what it is like to have a patient dying. I also watched an operation I think it's mainly voluntary work i need now so over summer i'm hopefully going to be working with the disabled and old people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LHC)
    I have also got work experience in the UK I worked for a week in a scottish hospital where i shadowed the doctors and got to do some really cool things but in germany i actually worked in the hospital with the patients (helped them get dressed, washed, fed and checked their blood sugar levels) I built bonds with the patients and even experienced what it is like to have a patient dying. I also watched an operation I think it's mainly voluntary work i need now so over summer i'm hopefully going to be working with the disabled and old people
    I said England, I meant UK.

Wow, that experience sounds crazy, HCA style except you're only 16/17! Did they give you training or was it hands on from the start? That'll stand out for sure.

Never worked with old people but working with the disabled is amazing, they're always so full of life.

ReputationRep:
    When we are doing the BMAT / UKCAT, we do get given rough paper for working out and stuff right?

ReputationRep:
    I said England, I meant UK.

Wow, that experience sounds crazy, HCA style except you're only 16/17! Did they give you training or was it hands on from the start? That'll stand out for sure.

Never worked with old people but working with the disabled is amazing, they're always so full of life.
    hahaha it's ok :P it was hands on from the start! And i also had the added dificulty of the different language :O which made things hard on day one but afterwards it got better i hope it does because i bent over backwards to get the opportunity to work in a german hospital yeah disabled people are amazing i love old people though! They always have very interesting stories to tell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EternalDoom)
    When we are doing the BMAT / UKCAT, we do get given rough paper for working out and stuff right?
    Yes. Although they gave me some scrap paper and they didn't let me take my own calculator in, and they gave me one Of those massive old peoples calculator which was really difficult to press they buttons, my excuse anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LHC)
    hahaha it's ok :P it was hands on from the start! And i also had the added dificulty of the different language :O which made things hard on day one but afterwards it got better i hope it does because i bent over backwards to get the opportunity to work in a german hospital yeah disabled people are amazing i love old people though! They always have very interesting stories to tell
    Do you take German A Level or something? The transition into patient contact will be much easier for you than for the rest of us having done all that.

Aww, I might try to work at an old people's home at some point, that sounds good. Although my friend works at one and apparently she gets hit all the time because they (bless them ) get really confused.

ReputationRep:
    Do you take German A Level or something? The transition into patient contact will be much easier for you than for the rest of us having done all that.

Aww, I might try to work at an old people's home at some point, that sounds good. Although my friend works at one and apparently she gets hit all the time because they (bless them ) get really confused.
    I've got bitten by a 95 year old who had no teeth..nom nom :-)

ReputationRep:

nope, i did it at standard grade/ gsce level and because i didn't take it to higher, it was really difficult for me to get a place in the hospital but i managed it somehow yeah like with the death of the patient thing it was really hard because it was a woman who i was really close to and when she died unexpectedly, the whole department was upset. So i've learned that doctors etc cant save everyone but they will try their best to relieve the patient of pain etc so that they can have a more comfortable last few months of life. I've also learned not to get emotionally attached to patients!

Yeah, the old people are so cute! Awww haha that is adorable :L i'll maybe try play the piano to them or something :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hito)
    I've got bitten by a 95 year old who had no teeth..nom nom :-)
    Lol, I swear that happens in Drag Me To Hell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limesasquatch)
    Yes. Although they gave me some scrap paper and they didn't let me take my own calculator in, and they gave me one Of those massive old peoples calculator which was really difficult to press they buttons, my excuse anyway!
    How did you find the time constraints on the individual sections of the BMAT, and what did you get? (assuming you did the BMAT)

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I swear that happens in Drag Me To Hell!
    LMAO!

ReputationRep:
    How is everybodys UKCAT revision going, I had a look at it today and was like WTF!?!?
    This makes no sense at all. I ended up spending 40 minutes on one question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChessMister)
    How did you find the time constraints on the individual sections of the BMAT, and what did you get? (assuming you did the BMAT)
    Oh I might have got confused, I meant the UKCAT. I would have done it but for some reason the date was after the 15th october and I didn't want to risk it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Limitless)
    How is everybodys UKCAT revision going, I had a look at it today and was like WTF!?!?
    This makes no sense at all. I ended up spending 40 minutes on one question.
    Exact same reaction :rolleyes:

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 14, 2011

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
  • Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 1 Jan '70
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.