Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    I just had my first "lesson" on Sunday (mum teaching me in a Sainsbury's car park )
    Nice, I'll be getting my dad to teach me in a car park when I turn 17 (eventually)

(Original post by Quackers93)
    Only work experience i could get was 320 miles away in Wales lol I didn't have to walk 6 miles a day though my view on it we travelled further so showed more commitment!... dunno if uni's see it that way but its a nice idea Hopefully this year I'll get some experience in hospital a few minutes away
    :eek: wow 320 miles, that's a lot further than me! Good luck getting some in that hospital.

(Original post by spoinkytheduck)
    Haha, yeah, city kids dont understand how amazing driving is for us country bumpkins!

The numbers of students that get the same train as me is gradually dwindling due to everyone turning 17 and driving to college (which means an extra half hour in bed and no 2 mile run to conform to the train timetable.. thats the life...:rolleyes: )
    The prospect of being able to go wherever I want without having to hassle my parents is the main factor for me. Fortunately my sixth form is nearby and the bus stop is right by my house so the school commute is fine.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I'm a hopeful too!!

ReputationRep:
    lol - what time do you normally get up to get to college?
    5.45am to leave around 6.45am.. at least the mornings aren't so pitch black anymore!

(Original post by Normandy114)
    The prospect of being able to go wherever I want without having to hassle my parents is the main factor for me. Fortunately my sixth form is nearby and the bus stop is right by my house so the school commute is fine.
    Ah lucky with the sixth form. There is a college in my town but it is amazingly bad so hardly anyone goes there. And the next most accessible colleges are both 30 miles away in opposite directions so anyone who wants to do well in a-levels cant get out of the long commute. The train is quite nice though.. a good 30 minutes every morning to do some homework!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by latte)
    :O I can't believe we apply this year!! I'm doing Biology, Maths, Chemistry, Psychology and General Studies. Probably dropping Psychology and General Studies next year. Imperial/ Kings/ Newcastle sound good.
    From a really small sixth form so there are only about 5 people wanting to apply for Medicine.
    I want to apply to them 3 as well Wel definately King's and Imperial, still thinking about newcastle. I might be the only person that is applying for medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angury)
    Hey - I just noticed that your insurance is Birmingham and I was looking for some advice - do you think it's worth applying there if you have 8A*'s at GCSE?
    I thought I'd be fine, but I've just been reading through the thread for people applying there this year for medicine, and alot of them are saying that you'd need 9 A*'s. Do you think it would be a waste of time applying there for me? I'm trying to find at least one university to apply to that doesn't do the UKCAT and I really like the look of Birmingham.
    Good luck with your exams by the way!

Anyone else around here thinking of applying to Birmingham?
    I'm in the exact same position! With 8 A*'s and thinking if to apply to Birmingham or not haha. I think I will risk it as I've always wanted to go there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spoinkytheduck)
    5.45am to leave around 6.45am.. at least the mornings aren't so pitch black anymore!
    :eek: and I have trouble getting up at 7.20 to go to school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Normandy114)
    How close is the next nearest hospital? For my hospital shadowing it was 30 miles away, so I had to pay about £50 in train fares for the week and walk over 6 miles a day :/. Worth it though, managed to get a really good insight into what being a doctor is like at the various levels.
    I live in an overlap between trusts, but go to school nearer one than the other. Leeds (the further away) has cancelled their program entirely, so that door's closed really, and the other trust doesn't want people who live in Leeds. I've made it extremely clear to them, however, that people from Leeds don't have any other option, and my school's trying to crowbar me in to their program. Hopefully it'll all go to plan. I've got some shadowing in ENT outpatient clinics lined up too, which should be good

(Original post by ScottishShortiex)
    Would this county as something sporty/extra-curricular instead of voluntary work?
    I think you'd get two birds with one stone there, really! Not only would it be sport, but it would also be voluntary work/work with disabled & disadvantaged! I see no reason why 'playing a sport' need involve playing for County or anything! Sounds like a brilliant opportunity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JChoudhry)
    How's everyone doing work experience wise?
    I've only managed a day of shadowing, other than that its only been volunteering.
    I've found it quite hard to get work experience organised in terms of proper shadowing with doctors and consultants.

How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles2010)
    Hello everyone! Just want to say a massive good luck!!!
    I applied for medicine for 2011 entry (Cambridge, UCL, Birmingham & Imperial), and got an offer from Cambridge and Birmingham.
    If anyone has any questions, feel free to quote or PM
    GOOD LUCK!
    Could you email me too sorry im just as anxious

ReputationRep:
    :eek: and I have trouble getting up at 7.20 to go to school
    I have trouble getting up at 8.20 for school...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles2010)
    I know of a few people who have offers with 8A*s, however, it can be a bit of a risk, but if you have above average A level predictions, good work experience, and a great personal statement, you should still be interviewed! (a few of my friends were interviewed with 7A*s)
    Hmm, what about Bristol or liverpool? Liverpool in particular would love your 8A*s!
    Thanks for the info - not sure if I want to take the risk.. I really would love to go to Birmingham though.
    I'm thinking about Bristol as well since they don't do the UKCAT either. And I'm sure all the universities would love to have me and my 8 A*'s!
    Thanks again for your help, and good luck with your exams.

(Original post by liviaaa)
    I'm in the exact same position! With 8 A*'s and thinking if to apply to Birmingham or not haha. I think I will risk it as I've always wanted to go there
    Good luck! I'm not sure if I'll apply there, but it does look really nice from what I've seen. Its hard trying to pick the right university, next year is going to be awful (unless I somehow manage to get all 4 offers.. I can dream).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JChoudhry)
    How's everyone doing work experience wise?
    Ermm , recently started working once a week at a centre which supports visual impairments and a variety of disabilities. Also a charity shop. Trying to figure out where to go next. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    hmm I got rejected by all four this year, split on whether i'm gonna reapply. Will prob be seeing alot more of all you! Haha

ReputationRep:
    I'll be applying as a graduate!

ReputationRep:
    Recieved 4 rejections for 2011 entry.
    Figured I may as well check out my competition for next year.
    Anyone have any advice on where to apply if you really don't care where you go, you're just desperate for a place? Not sure I can take being rejected by everyone again! Are there any medical schools you'd consider "easier" (notice the quotation marks!) to get in to???
    Advice please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stegosaurus)
    I think you'd get two birds with one stone there, really! Not only would it be sport, but it would also be voluntary work/work with disabled & disadvantaged! I see no reason why 'playing a sport' need involve playing for County or anything! Sounds like a brilliant opportunity
    Good I'm glad! My mum's going to speak to her the next time she comes to the school, which should hopefully be sometime this week. Just found out that it is actually coaching children with autism, instead of children with physical disabilities.

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd share this... http://www.vinspired.com/

v is a youth volunteering organisation, which can help you find volunteering opportunities in your area.

If you're already doing voluntary work, or you find it through them, after you rack up 50 hours, you can get a vfifty award, which is now a nationally recognised voluntary work award. Since most medics will probably reach 50 hours in their voluntary work (I'm only a few hours off now), all you need do is sign up, add the hours and some evidence and voila.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stegosaurus)
    Just thought I'd share this... http://www.vinspired.com/

v is a youth volunteering organisation, which can help you find volunteering opportunities in your area.

If you're already doing voluntary work, or you find it through them, after you rack up 50 hours, you can get a vfifty award, which is now a nationally recognised voluntary work award. Since most medics will probably reach 50 hours in their voluntary work (I'm only a few hours off now), all you need do is sign up, add the hours and some evidence and voila.
    Found this a week or so ago, will probably go for this once the 50 hours are done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quackers93)
    whoops messed up quotes from before Wont put me off cause hopefully I'll be able to pay it off if i ever become a doctor

Anyone know whats going on with the Scottish fees? are they going up much? (for english applicants)
    But you realise you won't pay it off until giving all of your salary for the first 3 years back.

ReputationRep:
    AAABB for my prelim higher exams! the Bs should be easy enough to bump up to As (4 marks off for history, 1 mark for English) so I'm a little delighted

I'm guessing most people are a-level here?

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 14, 2011

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.